You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: What setting would you like in a new roguelike game?
Fantasy 1 9.09%
Science fiction 1 9.09%
Star wars 0 0%
Wasteland (Fallout, Mad Max...) 4 36.36%
Western 0 0%
Medieval 1 9.09%
Other (please explain) 1 9.09%
I don't play roguelikes/I don't care 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Roguelike game

I've been playing ADOM for a couple of months now and I have to confess that I'm hooked. I can't remember being this hooked to a RPG since Fallout 1 & 2. Recently some events spurred my interest into writing my own roguelike game, but I haven't decided on the setting yet. That's where you come in, I'd like some opinions and tips if you have any. I'm thinking about writing it in Java due to the portability, but I might consider C++ as well if someone can give me a good reason not to write in Java. I'm currently brainstorming about everything from a project site to future quests. My vision is a game more epic than traditional roguelikes, feature sound and maybe even music. I hope this poll will help me decide a setting for the game, while I write a GUI and other necessary standard parts. I'm not sure where this project will go or if I'm ever going to finish it, since time is scarce and other obligations keeps distracting me. Hopefully I'll have something along a version 0.1 ready by summer.

If you haven't tried a rougelike game, then I'd say that you're missing out on some really good entertainment!
Also they tend to be really difficult. Expect to die around 50 times before you get the hang of it. They're like good wine, they get better with age.

Edit: Oops! Nasty spelling error (Admin, please correct the topic and poll spellings)

Last edited by MdaG; 01-24-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I'm sorry, I don't usually do this sort of thing, but... it's "roguelike" game. There are so many inappropriate suggestions I could come up with for "rougelike" that I don't know where to start.

Anyhoo. I played ADOM myself a while back and found it to be just too freakin' hard. I always found myself getting my ass handed to me while about 2 screens into the first dungeon.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."

Last edited by Jeysie; 01-24-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Life and times of...

What excactly is "roug-" no wait, "roguelike"?

(Edit): Yay for reading the whole first post ...
Old 01-31-2006, 02:14 AM   #4
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Anyhoo. I played ADOM myself a while back and found it to be just too freakin' hard. I always found myself getting my ass handed to me while about 2 screens into the first dungeon.

Peace & Luv, Liz
Yeah, it is hard. But damn it gets exciting when your character starts getting somewhere. About the time I found Khelavaster down in the Caverns of Chaos fo the first time surrounded by nasty chaos servants my heart was racing
Freeing Griff Bloodaxe from his curse was also a kick.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
Master of time and space

*shameless bump*

I thought I would market the game somewhat here, even though this might not be the correct forum for this kind of game
The game is far from finished though. Version 0.1 will be released at the earliest by chirstmas should be considered a demo.

Project site

Last edited by MdaG; 09-11-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Funky Member

I would like to see one in a modern urban setting.