You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I need a new graphic card

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #21
Joop Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
In addition I will probably have to buy a new board because my AGP slot is not in tune with the newest standards... the technological wankers.... Well, I guess I need to find some outlet for all that extra - though really insufficient - financial aid I have been getting for my e-dew-kaa-see-on....

AGP is backwards compatible so you shouldn't be too worried about that, you can put int he best card money can buy in it. But if that is a wise choice is whole diffirent subject, tell me what are your current system specs, and what do you plan on doing with your PC?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:54 AM   #22
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

The AGP slot doesn't support anything faster than 1 - I assume that by the very fact of it not having a number and an X before or after it.

I plan to do some heavy 3D Studio stuff, but as long as the card is OpenGL, I am okay with it (I think Open GL is a standard across the board nowadays).

As far as games go, the only 3D shooter I am excited about is Half-Life, although Morrowind would be nice in a better light too... I am not a big 3D whore. I don't really play many games (adventure or otherwise), I just like them to look good... Deus Ex 2 looks promising too...
Old 09-16-2003, 02:03 AM   #23
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Whether a card is "OpenGL" or "DirectX" is whether the mfr provides drivers (ICDs) for those. The translation to the card's native language is done in software.

Eek. 1x is a little slow.

BTW, I say 9600 Pro not just because of the HL2 benchmark. I actually helped a friend look for a card only 3-4 weeks ago, by using my brilliant knowledge to synthesize the information and advice I got from places like anandtech, Tom's Hardware, and newegg, and that's the very card I came up with. It is tops, in bang-for-buck, and it ain't that bad on bang alone. (And yes, if plan on keeping this card for more than 3 months, you'll need DX9.)

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"