You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What's with the lack of war shooters other than WWII?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 04:32 AM   #1
Banned User

Default What's with the lack of war shooters other than WWII?

I'd love to see a WWI or Civil War first person shooter, but they all seem to focus on World War II. I mean don't get me wrong, I love WWII games, but those other games would be kick ass as well.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
Psychonaut

I agree.

Call of Duty II is fantastic but am getting a bit sick of wwII shooters.

Maybe it's because modern wars lack the same kind of epic battles, but stormed one WWII beach stormed them all.

How about Vietnam or do Americans not like to play wars they got beat in.

I can only think of one Vietnam shooter maybe there were others.

The first Gulf War was a bit of a turkey shoot so not much to replicate there. Maybe the current campaign, but it's probably too fresh.

Trench warfare of wwI might be a bit boring though.

Looking forward to the XBOX 360 - Ghost Recon game as it's set in Mexico I think. Might be cool.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
Banned User

Actually, there was a pretty big flow of Vietnam War games just last year, problem was, none of them were any good. Neither was Conflict: Desert Storm. The sequal was better though. The new war could spawn a game, but nobody is going to take the risk of releasing it while it's going on. We'll have to wait for it to end...if it ever does.

Anyway, i'd like to see older wars made into games. Where the hell is our revolutionary war games?! Ya know how cool it would be to have to fire a musket loader where you only get off 3 shots a minute. Think of how tense multiplayer would be.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Psychonaut

How about one based around the Anglo-Zulu war.

The Battle for Rorke's Drift would make for a cool final level.

Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead: Sixty! We got at least 60, wouldn't you say?
Adendorff: That leaves only 3,940.

or maybe even The Alamo

or Custar's last stand (Battle for little bighorn)

might make decent games.

Only problem is the lack of decent weapons and the fact it takes ages to reload.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
Epinionated.

Yeah, we were saying this on another thread some months ago. Holding a line with a single-fire musket and reloading before charging through cannon smoke against the enemy with a pistol and sword could be great!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
Banned User

So why aren't anyone making them? I'm also waiting for some pirate sims. Not stuff like Pirates! But where you're actually on the boat firing the cannon. They had something coming Pirates of the Burning Sea, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21

or maybe even The Alamo

or Custar's last stand (Battle for little bighorn)

might make decent games.

Only problem is the lack of decent weapons and the fact it takes ages to reload.
Yeah! Those would be awesome too! Espc. the Zulu one!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 AM   #8
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I'd like to see a wild west FPS, the only one i can think of is that Lucas Arts on 'Outlaw' but I dont know it that was any good

Battlefield 2 is pretty good, im not sure if its based on a current war or if its just a made up one. Its only multiplayer but I think the one that coming out for the 360 is going to have a single player campeign
Old 01-05-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
So why aren't anyone making them? I'm also waiting for some pirate sims. Not stuff like Pirates! But where you're actually on the boat firing the cannon. They had something coming Pirates of the Burning Sea, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Is that the pirate mmo?
Ship combat is cool n all but i want a pirate game where your controlling one guy going on piratey adventures, be it running around on the deck of your ship fending off invading pirates or exploring lands for treasure and stuff.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Is that the pirate mmo?
Ship combat is cool n all but i want a pirate game where your controlling one guy going on piratey adventures, be it running around on the deck of your ship fending off invading pirates or exploring lands for treasure and stuff.
Yup. There's Pirates of the Caribbean, which is pretty much like you described, but eh...it could be better. Combat is a bit off on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:14 AM   #11
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Trench warfare of wwI might be a bit boring though.
I dunno, there's quite a potential for building up the scene, crouched knee-deep in muddy water watching a couple of soldiers de-louse each other, watching someone peep over the top of the trenches and promptly get shot to ribbons.

Imagine the night-time journeys up over the top to repair the barbed wire, the Battle of the Somme level... I'd pay for it...

Also, trench warfare wasn't the only type of fighting during WWI, just the biggest part.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:14 AM   #12
woof

Quote:
Yup. There's Pirates of the Caribbean, which is pretty much like you described, but eh...it could be better. Combat is a bit off on it.
Pirates of the carribean kinda sucked though
Old 01-05-2006, 06:17 AM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Pirates of the carribean kinda sucked though
It did. But i'm hoping they'll make another and do a better job, since PotC2 is hitting theaters soon.

I'd also like to play a game dealing with the fighting between the NRA and England.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:24 AM   #14
woof

Quote:
It did. But i'm hoping they'll make another and do a better job, since PotC2 is hitting theaters soon.

I'd also like to play a game dealing with the fighting between the NRA and England.
Pirates of the carribean was actualy sea dogs 2, Disney just got them to slap the PotC name on it, I hope someone takes on an original game using PotC.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
Mostly absent

Well, if we're talking about something else than WWII shooters, then Operation Flashpoint is a prime example of an upcoming game that is set in a different time.
The problem with OF2 though is that the developer, Bohemia Interactive, hasn't found a publisher for it. Most likely it won't be called Operation Flashpoint 2 either, because the publisher of the original Operation Flashpoint, Codemasters, are sitting on the rights and totally being a bitch about it.

It seems that Bohemia are close to finishing a game called Armed Assault (estimated release H1 2006), but it seems they don't have a publisher yet. If there's any justice in this world they will found one though.

They seem to also have a next-gen PC game, as they call it, in the works with the estimated release of "Q4 2006". This seems to be the actual sequel to Operation Flashpoint, but just like with Armed Assault there's no publisher yet.

Graphically both games are quite the eye-candy and knowing Bohemia the rest should be good also. At least Gamespot seemed to be quite impressed at last years E3.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #16
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:

or maybe even The Alamo

or Custer's last stand (Battle for little bighorn)

might make decent games.

The problem with the three battles that you list is that they were more slaughters than battles; One side grossly outnumbered the other, and although the underdogs fought valiantly, they never really stood a chance from the outset. In a game, that would mean that if you're a defender you're gonna lose no matter what, and if you're an attacker you might never even acquire a target unless you're in the very first wave.
WWII is unusually well-suited to the gaming format because:
A. The combatants are pretty well evenly matched;
B. It was the only toe-to-toe slugfest fought with reasonably modern weapons;
C. It was fought in a wide variety of locales, from forests to beaches to farmland to urban areas;
D. The outcome was uncertain right up to the bitter end.
The US Civil War shares these same attributes, except for the modern weaponry. I don't think the Winchester Repeating Rifle was invented until after the Civil War (but I could be way off on that), so muzzle-loaders were still the order of the day. Having to load the powder, load the wadding, load the shot, pack it down, then take aim and fire while under fire would get very old very quickly in a game. Or so I'd imagine.

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #17
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
The US Civil War shares these same attributes, except for the modern weaponry. I don't think the Winchester Repeating Rifle was invented until after the Civil War (but I could be way off on that), so muzzle-loaders were still the order of the day. Having to load the powder, load the wadding, load the shot, pack it down, then take aim and fire while under fire would get very old very quickly in a game. Or so I'd imagine.
There already is at least one Civil War game. I defy anybody to actually enjoy the piece of tripe that is Gods & Generals (a game I'm proud to own as it reaches an almost Big Rigs level of badness)...

Old 01-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #18
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
There already is at least one Civil War game. I defy anybody to actually enjoy the piece of tripe that is Gods & Generals (a game I'm proud to own as it reaches an almost Big Rigs level of badness)...
I seen that in gamestation for a pound...is it bad enough that its worth getting?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #19
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
I seen that in gamestation for a pound...is it bad enough that its worth getting?
That's where I got it. If you want to have the worst PC game I've ever seen on sale in a major game store then grab it. It really is a hideously broken and badly-designed game.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #20
Citizen of Bizarro World

Another reason why WWII is popular could be because most players can identify with the struggle. It's one of the few wars that can be considered "just".

I'm loving the Pirate fps idea though. The way I see it though, given the slow rate of pistols' firing in those times, firearms would only serve to pick off several enemies, before you get into the nit and grit with your trusty sword. So it would cease being a 1st person shooter so much as a fencing simulation. Consider Jedi Knight 2--melee battles are best played in 3rd person.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 01-06-2006 at 09:50 AM.