You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General dead pixel on my DS (fixed!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #41
Hopeful skeptic

I agree with you about the skinny stylus, mszv. This thing would have been perfect for me when I was about 7.

Not that I have anything to try it on. Still waiting for my Phoenix Wright to arrive. And just snagged Trace Memory and (coincidentally) Mario & Luigi online, but now the wait for THOSE to arrive begins. Thank goodness for GBA games in the meantime.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #42

Jack - I'll report back how it works when I use a fat Palm stylus with the DS. I won't use it until I get a screen protector, as the only way you can usually get a fat stylus is via a stylus/pen combo! As I said before, there's always the off chance, when one is tired, of clicking the thing on wrong, and using the pen tip as a stylus, instead of the stylus tip! With a screen protector on, all you'll do is maybe mark up the screen protector - not a biggie. I'll also see if I have an extra fat stylus/pen thing floating around - I've collected so much Palm accessory stuff over the years (huge fan of Palm PDAs, huge) - I don't always know what I have!

I think that if you aren't a certain age, it might just not occur to a designer that some people can't grip anything as small as the DS stylus, comfortably, for extended periods of time. I think it's something that you just don't think about, until it happens to you. I'm not sure if Nintendo thinks about who buys their games, but I want to let them know that an older person is happy with the DS!

I'm hoping that my fondness for gaming with the DS will bring me back to a fondness for gaming in general. I just can't get into it anymore, and I want to be able to play all the PC games I have, adventures, and yes, other genres too.

Oh - games I have for the DS
- Sims 2. It's the first Sims games I wanted to play, a whole lot. It looks like it's just goal directed enough to get me into it. For a sims game - I don't want a super goal directed game.

- Animal Crossing. I just picked this up. From everything I've read it's one of the great sim games, in the tradition of of "oh, just hang around, do a little something, and have fun" games of all time.

- Trace Memory - an adventure game for the DS. How could I pass that up?

Waiting to get - Phoenix Wright - wow, a funny, talky adventure game! Per the suggestion - I'll think about asking someone at Fry's electronics to order if for me, but geez, then I'd have to talk to someone at Fry's! For those of you who go to Fry's Electronics (any of them, they the greatest electronic stores of all times) - you know that actually "talking" to someone at the store - that can be problematic. The people at Fry's aren't known for knowing a whole lot about their merchandise or for being real helpful. They do have great stuff, though, and at great prices.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #43
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszv
- Sims 2. It's the first Sims games I wanted to play, a whole lot. It looks like it's just goal directed enough to get me into it. For a sims game - I don't want a super goal directed game.
I turned mine on last night for the first time in a week and was a bit surprised to find that it runs in realtime. Which means I had a week's worth of phone messages and my hotel was a mess because no one had been cleaning it! All the guests were kind of unhappy, too, and it took me an hour to run around and cheer everyone up.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #44
merely human

LOL! That actually sounds like a good name for a band...

"Introducing............ The Dead Pixels!"

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #45
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
LOL! That actually sounds like a good name for a band...

"Introducing............ The Dead Pixels!"

That better be an adventure game band.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #46
merely human

Yeah right. They're pointing and clicking on their instruments and the crowd is moving their mice in a huge mosh pit.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #47
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah right. They're pointing and clicking on their instruments and the crowd is moving their mice in a huge mosh pit.
Haha. lol

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #48
Friendly Server Admin

By the way... on the subject of dead pixels and scratches and stuff... Costco is your friend. They'll take absolutely anything back, regardless of the manufacturer's dead pixel policy, for up to two years. Buy your DS/PSP/whatever there, and if you find a dead pixel, just take it back and exchange it.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...v=&browse=&s=1