You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
Psychonaut

Default Quake 4

Has anyone else played this and been seriously dissapointed.

I have only played it for few hours and already i'm

I thought ID had sunk to a new low with Doom 3 , but this (raven developed) Quake game has been a major disappointment.

Nice graphics but shoddy game especially the multiplayer which is just a copy of Quake 3.

Buy F.E.A.R instead.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
Homer of Kittens

I could have told you that I was just recommending the same thing to another fella in the civ 4 thread.

Firefox rules
Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
OUATIJ Creator

Quake IV < F.E.A.R. < Call of Duty 2 (hopefully).

Haven't played Call of Duty 2 yet (comes out today or tomorrow), but I'm really hoping it tops both of those games. F.E.A.R. was a lot of fun, I certainly wasn't disappointed. It was probably the best single player FPS I've played since Half-Life 2. But it did suffer from some repetitive environments and a less than stellar storyline. Call of Duty 2 looks awesome though. If it's better than the first then it's a Top 10 FPS in my book.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Epinionated.

The demo for COD2 didn't exactly shine. It was like Duck Hunt or Operation Wolf. Hope the actualy game is better than it as it didn't have any of the feel of COD, and I'm a big COD fan.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 AM   #5
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
The demo for COD2 didn't exactly shine. It was like Duck Hunt or Operation Wolf. Hope the actualy game is better than it as it didn't have any of the feel of COD, and I'm a big COD fan.
Really? Hmmm... I never played the demo, just watched videos at IGN. I love CoD also, and I hope 2 is bad ass.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I just need some closure on what happened after Quake 2, so I will probably get it later on, when its cheaper.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #7

Two nights ago, I read my newest Pc Gamer which was shipped in the mail to my parents house, and then they brought it over to my apartment. It had a lot of interesting articles in it, but then I read their review of Quake IV, and was disappointed to see that they had given it a score of 70%. I thought that they were going to love it since they were hyping it like crazy, what with all the previews that they were doing for it, but they wound up giving it an average rating instead of a PC Gamer Editor's Choice.

Anyway, I felt I should tell you guys that.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
Chris Barraclough

My flatmate just got it and I watched for a bit, it looked pretty standard really. I'm playing Pariah at the moment and it's getting boring pretty fast, I need a decent new FPS. Must try FEAR out.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Pariah is the worst FPS game I've ever played, even Unreal 2 was better than that.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 AM   #10
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Pariah is the worst FPS game I've ever played, even Unreal 2 was better than that.
I thought I'd give it a chance, but it's terrible. The weapons feel weak, the levels are dull and the enemies are just annoying, especially when they yell the same crappy stuff over and over again (“doh-rae-me-fa-so long sucka! doh-rae-me-fa-so long sucka!" Repeat ad nauseum...). At least it makes you want to kill them I guess. The vehicle bit was the last straw.

Been looking at Call of Duty, it looks decent. Will try that some time soon.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:45 AM   #11
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quake 4 is allright. At least the single player. Gamespot gave it 8.0.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quake 4 is a great game, PC Gamer is full of idiots when they said that it was a 70/100 game.

I've played it for a few hours and feels like a really good game, I really dig the athmosphere and the thing that the other marines are helping Kane out quite efficiently.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #13
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If anyone doesn't like their copy of Quake IV they could always send it to me . I wouldn't be expecting a great game .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Has anyone else played this and been seriously dissapointed.

I have only played it for few hours and already i'm

I thought ID had sunk to a new low with Doom 3 , but this (raven developed) Quake game has been a major disappointment.

Nice graphics but shoddy game especially the multiplayer which is just a copy of Quake 3.

Buy F.E.A.R instead.
Waste of money. The only thing keeping me going is the thought of playing this online. The bots in the game could not be easier. I am not the best first person shooter and I breezed through on medium.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
down with u
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 AM   #16
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhaze
down with u
I gave up on it in the end, it's like a shoddy cheap Halo rip-off.

Finally got round to playing a bit of Quake 4, so far it seems OK, like Quake 2 except with marines knocking about. At least you can actually see where you're going, unlike Doom 3. I've also just got Call of Duty though, and I'm hooked. Charging through a ruined city with your squad, dodging bullets and mortars is so much fun.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #17
Banned User

A friend just let me borrow (aka burn) his quake 4, but i've yet to play it. I kinda liked doom, so maybe i'll like this a little. I don't think the graphics are that good though.

Also, I loved the COD2 demo. I thought it was intense. Didn't like the health system though.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:56 AM   #18
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
A friend just let me borrow (aka burn) his quake 4, but i've yet to play it. I kinda liked doom, so maybe i'll like this a little. I don't think the graphics are that good though.

Also, I loved the COD2 demo. I thought it was intense. Didn't like the health system though.
If you liked Doom, you'll probably like Quake 4. Apparently it gets better when you get into it properly.
I heard about the health-regeneration thing in CoD2, can see how that would kind of spoil the tension a little. Maybe there'll be an option to turn it off? Looking forward to playing it after I finish the first one.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-12-2005, 07:59 PM   #19

I've finished Q4 SP, and it was one of the most intense and exciting single player experiences I've had with an FPS. On par or better than HL2's IMHO.

It doesn't really pick up until halfway through though, there's something interesting that happends then that makes the game pick up some speed. :p

I also liked the teammates, in that they can both kill stuff, and keep alive on a semi-regular level, making them less dependant on you, and if they die, it's because you didn't do your job at all.

If you think the game's too easy, turn the difficulty up a notch, it is far from easy on the higher difficulty ratings.

The graphics were so-so, some parts where it really shone, and some parts where you could see that the game wasn't made by seasoned veterans with the engine.

My biggest disappointment with the game was it's shortness, and that they didn't develop the story further.

EDIT: Also, the game is nothing like Doom 3, it didn't scare me a single time, but it keept the adrenaline pumping almost all the time. Doom 3 just got me scared.

Another thing, IMHO, the multiplayer seems great, I hope some decent mods will come out though.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #20
Banned User

I'm playing through it, and I can honestly say it sucks. But, I started it, so i'll finish this turn.