You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #1

Default Pick My PC Game

Because I feel that this is the last bastion of hope for PC Gamers anywhere on the internets, I implore the denizens of this forum to riddle me this:

I've been plodding through a series of lack-luster PC Games including, but not limited to NOLF, NOLF2, SWAT4, Nexus: Jupiter Incident, Silent Storm 2, Farenheit and others. For all these games (with Farenheit as a possible exception) I've really been just going through the motions, playing the games as far as I could take them just for the sake of appearances.

I'm looking for a game to blow me away - the kind of game that I will become immersed in. I want a game that I can fall happily in love with and never look back.

(Do such games exist anymore? I'm having a hard time finding them.)

I've been considering Quake 4, Neverwinter Nights and Myst 5.

Also, I got stuck on The Longest Journey and never finished it. Is it worth my time to go back and figure out how to get out of the lobby of that damn police station?

Any game recommendations that you can provide to point me in the right direction will be highly appreciated. I don't mind how dated the game is - I just want PC Gaming to be fun again.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
Because I feel that this is the last bastion of hope for PC Gamers anywhere on the internets, I implore the denizens of this forum to riddle me this:
This? Okay...
Quote:
Any game recommendations that you can provide to point me in the right direction will be highly appreciated. I don't mind how dated the game is - I just want PC Gaming to be fun again.
TrackMania and/or TrackMania Sunrise. I'm not a PC-only gamer, but even with access to consoles, I'm having problems finding driving games that are more fun than those two. You'll either love them or not see the point of them at all (there are no AI-opponents and no car vs. car collisions,for instance - these games don't play by the "normal" rules that driving games have to adhere to). If you want to download demos, be sure to download the latest demo of the original (i.e. the one released a few weeks ago, not in 2003 when the game was originally relelased).
TMS Review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58526

Space Rangers 2. One of my favourite games this year. It's a sort of Elite-style game in 2D. Probably seems very weird, and it isn't the most polished game of the year, but it's the kind of game where you immediately understand that the developers were really caring about what they were doing. Tons of fun to be had.
Review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61014 (note: it's been released in a double pack together with the previously unavailable (in english) SR1, and the pack is simply called Space Rangers. all the screens in that review are from the original - the second is similar-looking but more polished)

Also, I think you should get F.E.A.R. instead of Quake 4. I think pretty much everyone would agree with that. I'm not particularily keen on Neverwinter Nights, but I hear it's good. I'd choose Morrowind over it, though.

I can't help but notice, btw, that a few of the games you call lacklustre are, well, great. NOLF2 and Silent Storm are both really good games.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
merely human

How could you even consider the NOLF series lackluster?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-25-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
Chris Barraclough

Quake 4 is not the kind of game you get immersed in. I play it for 30 mins at a time tops. If you want a FPS that you get caught up with, and get cravings to play, go for Half Life 2. Immersive plot, fantastic set pieces, such a good game.

If you want a more RPG-type FPS that's pretty intelligent and deep, try System Shock 2. I was hooked on that game from start til finish.

The only other games I can remember being properly immersed in are Planescape Torment (pretty old so might be hard to get and not sure of XP compatibility etc) and Knights of the Old Republic.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-25-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

If you never played it for the xbox then "Fable:the Lost Chapters"
I loved it the first time i played through it, most fun ive had in a long time.
The pc version is 10 times better than the original though

also Call of Duty 2 thats just out is also a fun game, good online too
Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 AM   #6

Quote:
I've been considering Quake 4, Neverwinter Nights and Myst 5.

Also, I got stuck on The Longest Journey and never finished it. Is it worth my time to go back and figure out how to get out of the lobby of that damn police station?
Myst 5 is pretty lackluster, in my opinion.

Adventure games that blew me away lately...

Hm. I loved Myst 4 and Still Life. Both have very strong atmosphere.

Elsewise, I'm playing Guild Wars, which is pretty fun.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
gin soaked boy

Quote:
I'm looking for a game to blow me away - the kind of game that I will become immersed in. I want a game that I can fall happily in love with and never look back.
That would be NOLF, NOLF2 and Fahrenheit (if you can look past the story committing suicide in the later sections of the game).

But since you don't like those, what kind of games do usually excite you?

And The Longest Journey is well worth it.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
And The Longest Journey is well worth it.
I liked the first half better, so I'm not sure if it's worth finishing it if he got stuck and stopped playing around the middle (I'm not sure at which point the police station is).
Old 11-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #9
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

The police station lobby is pretty early on, maybe 1/4 of the way into the game.

Lynsie
Old 11-25-2005, 06:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
The police station lobby is pretty early on, maybe 1/4 of the way into the game.

Lynsie
Ok. I guess it might be worth going on, then. But I don't know, I'm not such a fan of TLJ; I had a good times playing it, but at the end I felt a bit empty.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #11
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Lackluster!? You just listed some of the best games of the last few years. If you don't like those, what to recommend... I dunno, the new Mortal Kombat game?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:31 AM   #12

If you like RPGs, Morrowind is an option (total freedom, lots of quest, etc...), or Anachronox, in a completely different style (as much an adventure game as it can be while remaining a RPG).

Beyond Good and Evil is excellent, too. Action game with a lot of exploration, a nice story and lovable characters.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
Homer of Kittens

If you consider the NOLF series, SWAT 4, and Fahrenheit "lackluster" games, I really don't know what to recommend.

I would have tried recommending: Psychonauts, Civilization 4, Rome: Total War, Chronicles of Riddick, and Freedom Force vs The Third Reich, but I'm afraid that you would consider them "lackluster" too

Firefox rules
Old 11-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #14
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I recommend you play Max Payne series, I just picked up Max Payne 2, and I must say i´m in love with the game, what a story!
Old 11-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #15
Squeaky

Welcome to the forum, Talon

Lot of good games mentioned here. My recommendations (apologies for reiteration) would be:

For brilliant platformy action with adventure undertones:
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Psychonauts
For the best alternative first person experiences money can buy:
  • Thief series (1 and 2 in particular)
  • System Shock 2 (1 too if you like, but that really is getting a bit dated)
And for pure unadulterated joy, I second Kolorabi's recommendation of Trackmania Sunrise (most actual fun I've had with a game for years). I haven't played the original so can't comment.

I'm liking Myst V a lot but it's unlikely to sweep you off your feet and, from what I've heard, Quake 4 probably won't do the job either.

As for The Longest Journey, I have to agree with Ninth's sentiments. If you're not getting anything out of it yet, I wouldn't expect the rest of the game to blow you away. The first time I played it, I gave up due to lack of interest at a point somewhere near where you are at the moment. I eventually forced myself to play it through after reading a lot of positive comments on these boards, but still wasn't all that impressed. A bit mediocre if you ask me.

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 11-25-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Everyone should play Trackmania.

Sunrise is basically the original with better graphics, an extra game mode and different levels, though the developers recently patched the original to improve the graphics.

Either way, they're genuinely great.

:EDIT: And I don't normally play driving games.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Last edited by RLacey; 11-25-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:42 AM   #17
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I think you should try to finish "The Longest Journey". It really is worth it. If you want, I can help you to get past the Policestation lobby, if you want. I know that a common problem is that people can't find the exit. It is at the bottom of the screen. After you entered the building the "other" way, the front doors work again (or at least after you have dealt with the repairmen. Also, you can enter through the front doors from that point on).

I am currently playing Neverwinter Nights myself. I really love it, although I know that some people say it is a bit too focused on Multiplayer. I don't really have any complaints about it myself, though. And I always play Singleplayer.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 PM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You could also try Uplink, Darwinia, Sid Meir's Pirates! and the Fallout games.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.