Thread: Pick My PC Game
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Kolorabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
Because I feel that this is the last bastion of hope for PC Gamers anywhere on the internets, I implore the denizens of this forum to riddle me this:
This? Okay...
Quote:
Any game recommendations that you can provide to point me in the right direction will be highly appreciated. I don't mind how dated the game is - I just want PC Gaming to be fun again.
TrackMania and/or TrackMania Sunrise. I'm not a PC-only gamer, but even with access to consoles, I'm having problems finding driving games that are more fun than those two. You'll either love them or not see the point of them at all (there are no AI-opponents and no car vs. car collisions,for instance - these games don't play by the "normal" rules that driving games have to adhere to). If you want to download demos, be sure to download the latest demo of the original (i.e. the one released a few weeks ago, not in 2003 when the game was originally relelased).
TMS Review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58526

Space Rangers 2. One of my favourite games this year. It's a sort of Elite-style game in 2D. Probably seems very weird, and it isn't the most polished game of the year, but it's the kind of game where you immediately understand that the developers were really caring about what they were doing. Tons of fun to be had.
Review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61014 (note: it's been released in a double pack together with the previously unavailable (in english) SR1, and the pack is simply called Space Rangers. all the screens in that review are from the original - the second is similar-looking but more polished)

Also, I think you should get F.E.A.R. instead of Quake 4. I think pretty much everyone would agree with that. I'm not particularily keen on Neverwinter Nights, but I hear it's good. I'd choose Morrowind over it, though.

I can't help but notice, btw, that a few of the games you call lacklustre are, well, great. NOLF2 and Silent Storm are both really good games.