You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Staff Member

Default Alan Wake

I decided to revisit Max Payne 2 yesterday (bear with me, this does turn into an AG thread) in hope of a quick action fix. But instead, I was reminded just how long the games cutscenes, dream sequences and beautiful comic-book panels are compared to the bits where you run into a room pumping lead in slo-mo. Now of course, the storyline is a confused heap of genre staples, ridiculous plot details and the most cod-philosophical cod-literary pretentious BS outside Metal Gear Solid 2. But I did notice just how well told the rubbish is; above-average VO, atmospheric environments, neat ideas like comic book panels and TV programmes used to tell the story, and really pretty cutscenes (generally involving slo-mo explosions). Which got me thinkig about what it would be like if Remedy made an adventure game (note how Payne-influenced Fahrenheit is). Well, one Google search later revealed a new project called "Alan Wake". Judging by the trailer, it looks pretty cool; but the genre is unclear; it could well be survival horror, action adventure, adventure action, action, or anywhere in between. Does anyone know anything more about this game?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Headbanger

Based on the little I've read about Alan Wake the first thought that hit me too was that it seemed to be very much like an adventuregame. One can only hope it will be good.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
I decided to revisit Max Payne 2 yesterday (bear with me, this does turn into an AG thread) in hope of a quick action fix. But instead, I was reminded just how long the games cutscenes, dream sequences and beautiful comic-book panels are compared to the bits where you run into a room pumping lead in slo-mo. Now of course, the storyline is a confused heap of genre staples, ridiculous plot details and the most cod-philosophical cod-literary pretentious BS outside Metal Gear Solid 2. But I did notice just how well told the rubbish is; above-average VO, atmospheric environments, neat ideas like comic book panels and TV programmes used to tell the story, and really pretty cutscenes (generally involving slo-mo explosions). Which got me thinkig about what it would be like if Remedy made an adventure game (note how Payne-influenced Fahrenheit is). Well, one Google search later revealed a new project called "Alan Wake". Judging by the trailer, it looks pretty cool; but the genre is unclear; it could well be survival horror, action adventure, adventure action, action, or anywhere in between. Does anyone know anything more about this game?
How dare you talk in such a way about max payne!

PC Magazine 8.0
MyGamer 8.0
CV-Games.com 9.5
Cincinnati Enquirer 9.0
GameSpy.com 10.0
IGN.com 9.4
GamePro 9.0
1UP.com 8.0
Computer Gaming World 9.0
GameNOW 8.0
Adrenaline Vault (Avault) 10.0

Check out just how wrong you are.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Have you been to the official site?

It doesn't say that much about gameplay, but here's a bit from their FAQ:

Quote:
Is the game similar to Grand Theft Auto?

"Alan Wake is more tightly character-driven and story-oriented. Meaning that the player’s goals and missions are closely focused around Alan Wake and his story. Also, the setting, the tone and the game being an action thriller all set it clearly apart from the GTA games." – Sam Lake "Intense cinematic action is something that we love to do, and Alan Wake features tense combat gameplay as well, but all things considered the game has a lot more emphasis on adventure and exploration that what Max Payne did." – Petri Järvilehto "Driving is an integral part of the game" - Petri Järvilehto
Err... make of that what you will. The fact that they've even included the comparison to GTA (if only in the form of a question) makes me a little wary. The "emphasis on adventure and exploration" sounds nice, but I'm not sure about the "tense combat gameplay" and apparently integral driving.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Staff Member

Hey I like Payne, (I know you're being ironic) but I did expect a) less repetitive gameplay b) a storyline that is the part, not just thinks its the part. Grim Fandango more noir cool in one line of dialogue than ten "gritty", self obsessed, up-their-own-posterior voiceovers from Mr. Payne. In fact, I think there is definitely potential for a random payne-whine generator program; oh wait, it's called the open mic night in Grim Fandango. How ironic.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I read about this game at one point, i heard its supposed to be reminiscent of Twin Peaks
Old 11-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I'm not sure about the "tense combat gameplay" and apparently integral driving.
Driving could be OK. I think it's how he travels around the town, quite adventure friendly hopefully. As for combat; I expected it anyway, to be honest, hopefully it will have a difficulty setting for people who don't enjoy it.

I hadn't found the FAQ, will have a read.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

I know some adventure games have driving, and I wouldn't mind a little bit. It was the "integral" that turned me off. If something like that is being described as integral, it signals to me that the story is taking a backseat [heh - pun not intended] to other kinds of gameplay.

Pure speculation, of course, and I'm not saying it might not be fun. But from the few things that I have read about this game, I'm getting more of a "story-heavy action game" vibe from it than an "adventure game with a little action thrown in" vibe.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
capsized.

Anyway, this game looks and sounds HOT. Even though I didn't get much out of Max Payne myself. Sit-back-and-p&c-on-random-junk isn't always exactly the best way to experience some (interactive) stories by definition, you know. 'Nuff said.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #10

Trailer looks pretty nice though, but i still have no idea how the game interface will be.
3rd person adventure/thriller/action?

Farenheit 2 anyone?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #11
capsized.

Heheh! THe day/night transition idea coupled with the whole "something lurking in the woods" concept sounds sooooooo HOT! I hope they're making that real-time.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #12
merely human

The game was discussed in General Gaming quite back in June:

First look: Alan Wake (from the makers of Max Payne)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's been mentioned here before, but I figured I'd make it 'official' this time.

Quote:

Click for large (more screens at the official site)

title: Alan Wake
genre: action/adventure, 3rd person 'psychological action thriller'
developer: Remedy
platforms: PC, Xbox 360, Playstation3
release date: TBA
official site (teaser for now)

Alan Wake is a young horror novelist who lost his love and muse. On a decision to try to start over, he moves to the small town of Bright Falls in the northwest part of the U.S. Soon thereafter, strange things happen and he finds that with the onset of night the horrors of his stories come to life.

It looks to be that dynamic light and darkness are the central driving forces for the story and gameplay, thus will rely on constantly shifting moods and atmosphere. Daytime will seem relatively safe, but nighttime brings on horrible moments. Other than that we know next to nothing.

Highly recommended: Low res trailer, High res trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
OMG! Could be my game. Somehow I didn't get much out of Max Payne. What an amazing concept.
Quote:

More screenies available here.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
Which got me thinkig about what it would be like if Remedy made an adventure game (note how Payne-influenced Fahrenheit is). Well, one Google search later revealed a new project called "Alan Wake". Judging by the trailer, it looks pretty cool; but the genre is unclear; it could well be survival horror, action adventure, adventure action, action, or anywhere in between. Does anyone know anything more about this game?
'Adventure' is a term tossed around arbitrarily by developers, publishers, retailers, the media, and yes, gamers. What one considers adventure another may declare action or action/adventure. Such is the case of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Many of us here consider it an adventure game (of sorts, perhaps) while many over at the JA+ community think it's an action/adventure game.

Considering developer Remedy's philosophy and slant on the story, character, and exploration driven game (I've played both Max Payne and Max Payne 2 - NOTHING prepared me for the emotionally jolting opening playable scene at the beginning of MP where his wife and baby are murdered), their idea of adventure in Alan Wake will probably not be anything near The Longest Journey. But I suspect it'll be closer to Fahrenheit, not necessarily in terms of gameplay (Simon Says sequences and L/R trigger mashing) but more in terms of intense psychological and emotional involvement demanded of the player - something most typical adventure games (like those covered by AG and Gameboomers) rarely ever do these days. Even if you do happen to shed a tear for April Ryan or Victoria McPherson it has more to do with passively watching cutscenes than with the psycho-visceral and physical immersion of Fahrenheit.

I'm gonna predict that what the Remedy guys Sam Lake and Petri Järvilehto emphasized (as quoted by fov above) of Alan Wake will be very similar to the opening scene in Max Payne and level of player involvement in Fahrenheit. In their minds Alan Wake will be an 'adventure game' the likes of which Still Life and The Longest Journey are not.

To tie this in with adventure games as we know it, games like Fahrenheit, Beyond Good & Evil, the upcoming Dreamfall, and Alan Wake look to be signals of one direction Adventure Games are now taking, a kind of transmutation of story driven, cerebrally challenging games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Heheh! THe day/night transition idea coupled with the whole "something lurking in the woods" concept sounds sooooooo HOT! I hope they're making that real-time.
This is Remedy we're talking about, man. It can't NOT be real-time! It just can't!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-16-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #14
capsized.

Quote:

This is Remedy we're talking about, man. It can't NOT be real-time! It just can't!

Oh, what about ballett-time, then? Pleeeeeease?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:35 AM   #15
merely human

That's real-time, too. Only just a little more graceful.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 AM   #16
capsized.

Graceful? That really, really, really depends! (Not if I am performing it, for example. Ahem.). LOOL! Stop it, Trep, you crack me up. Gotta fetch another cup of Cappucino.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 AM   #17
merely human

Graceful.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:23 AM   #18
capsized.

Heheh. Cinderella? Dumbo (recently re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rewatched)? Feivel? Now bring on Alan Wake, please! (Release date: Sometime in 2007?)
Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 AM   #19
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
The game was discussed in General Gaming quite back in June:

First look: Alan Wake (from the makers of Max Payne)
The game was also discussed back in May:

Remedy's next game, Alan Wake

It's pretty clear that Alan Wake is going to be the best Finnish game ever made.

And it's no wonder that the game is most likely going to be very heavily influenced by Twin Peaks. That Lynch show was and still is a huge cult classic in Finland.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:59 AM   #20
Psychonaut

I can't see the Twin Peaks connection.

However it does sound heavily influenced by Stephen King.

« Pinball | Defcon »