You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo Revolution in June 06

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Nintendo Revolution in June 06

Link is http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=9244&cb=0.3850781&cb=0.2038037

Who's planning to buy it?

Firefox rules
Old 10-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've never bought a console at launch. I will definitely end up grabbing a Revolution at some point, though .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
After 2 years...

HURRAY! *dances*

I just hope i have the time in the Summer.
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
SamNMax

Yeah, I'm getting it. Along with the other two. So pretty much the Revolution is going to be collecting dust... just like the Gamecube.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
OB

According to Gamespot, it will ship next fiscal year, but no guarantee on the month...it could be in Dec. according to the article or it could be in June. Unless this is confirmed by more sources, I wouldn't take it as Gospel just yet. But, yeah, I'll get it eventually.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

For once, I'm only going to buy ONE console, since I only play GBA, DS and PC games, and I haven't bought or played anything on my PS2, GC or Xbox, buying only one console looks like a good idea...

And of course the console I will buy is the Revolution...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:05 AM   #7

I will probably buy it, but only after a year or so. I never owned a Nintendo console, so if I buy Revolution and Nintendo DS I will be able to play almost every in the huge Nintendo game history. That should be worth its price I think...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
Hoopy frood

Money allowing, I'll have it around launch. Nintendo has big plans for this console, and I don't want to miss them. So glad they're finally setting themselves apart from Sony and Microsft. Let the megacorporations wage war with graphics and power. Accentuate the positives, hide the negatives. Can't possibly afford to compete with their big-budget spending on new graphic technologies? Then don't. Instead, offer the best of what you can do: the best gameplay, the best innovation, the most immersive games. (Of course, none of this is guaranteed as we haven't seen any of it yet, but I'm sure that's their plan.)

As a wrestling fan, I look at it like ECW before they were bought out: they didn't have anywhere near the budget to compete with WCW and WWF's high production costs and huge pyrotechnics displays, so they didn't bother. Instead they focused on what they could do: excellent promos, great wrestling, exciting shows. That's what made them so popular, and that's what Nintendo needs to do, concentrate on what they can do and make it the best out there.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno6
Let the megacorporations wage war with graphics and power. Accentuate the positives, hide the negatives. Can't possibly afford to compete with their big-budget spending on new graphic technologies? Then don't. Instead, offer the best of what you can do: the best gameplay, the best innovation, the most immersive games. (Of course, none of this is guaranteed as we haven't seen any of it yet, but I'm sure that's their plan.)
It sounds like a great approach to me, too, but then we're on a website called Adventure Gamers. We're hardly mainstream gamers! It scares me to think that the average man in the street will take one look at the Revolution and think "pfffft, no horsepower!" without paying any attention to the games.

Especially considering Nintendo's unrivalled expertise for terrible marketing, it seems likely that the Revolution will be a 'niche' product in Europe and the US, just as the Gamecube was. The end result - a lack of third party support, stupidly delayed first-party releases, and another console existing solely for the kiddies and the few gamers who recognise Nintendo's talents.

I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
It sounds like a great approach to me, too, but then we're on a website called Adventure Gamers. We're hardly mainstream gamers! It scares me to think that the average man in the street will take one look at the Revolution and think "pfffft, no horsepower!" without paying any attention to the games.

Especially considering Nintendo's unrivalled expertise for terrible marketing, it seems likely that the Revolution will be a 'niche' product in Europe and the US, just as the Gamecube was. The end result - a lack of third party support, stupidly delayed first-party releases, and another console existing solely for the kiddies and the few gamers who recognise Nintendo's talents.

I hope I'm wrong though.
I know. It's as bad as the DS. The PSP is uber-popular with "mainstream" gamers, because 1) it's not cool to be seen with a Nintendo product, 2) it's Sony and Sony is obviously the coolest, and 3) it has the new Grand Theft Auto. (Not that all PSP players are like that, not at all, but I do know several people who dismissed the DS immediately just because Sony was coming out with a handheld and Sony is cooler.)

It's a shame that so many people will overlook the Revolution for its inability to copy the PS3's or 360's strength and horsepower. I'm hoping it draws enough attention to its core philosophy to get people to overlook that, though. (And besides, it's been said to work great with first-person shooters, so maybe it'll draw a good chunk of that crowd, as well. I knew random FPSes would be good for something someday!)
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #11
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Revolution will be the only console that I'll buy from the next generation, but I won't be buying at launch. Maybe in next November, if it's really going to be released next summer.

But things can always change and I might not buy any console at all.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.