You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nifty features that are not used enough

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
gin soaked boy

Default Nifty features that are not used enough

This thread is supposed to be a companion piece of sorts to The features every game should have. As opposed to features you believe every game could substantially benefit from, what are some of the not-so-important features or gameplay ideas you'd like to see used more?

For instance, there's a little known PS2 game called Stretch Panic (also known as Freak Out) in which your character can use its arm (okay, so it's a scarf, but it looks and acts like an arm) to grab the ground or any other object and push/pull/manipulate it at will. I never played it, but it seems like a really cool idea that could be built upon. Please read the review I provided for more info.

Some other interesting examples can be found on the Experimental Gameplay Project website. Now you!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:41 AM   #2

Random item generators in RPG's. It's probably the main reason behind the massive success of the Diablo franchise, and yet almost no other RPG's or MMORPG's have picked up the concept. Even WOW only has a largely toned down version of the item generation system of D2, since most important items have fixed stats and aren't generated.

Such a shame.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Massively swift broad sword of the monkey
Greatly huge axe of the demented dwarf

I love D2, but I don't think the generator could work in a MMORPG, the pace is different. WOW doesn't have much innovation in terms of gameplay mechanics, plus epics and superior items are like uniques and elite uniques. The whole engine behind Diablo 2's stats is much better than most RPGs.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
Chris Barraclough

The random item generator thing was pretty good, but really annoying when you completed a b*stard hard quest and for a reward ended up with the 'Crappy Gloves of Brian' or 'Skidmarked Y-Fronts of Ken'
Old 10-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
Homer of Kittens

Some that I found amusing in the latest PC gamer:

For FPS'es:
- Providing the ability to turn people to chicken (like in hexen)
- Providing the ability to use a decoy ( In Duke Nukem 3D the duke holocube).

Firefox rules
Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Providing the ability to use a decoy ( In Duke Nukem 3D the duke holocube).
Yeah, MDK also had that one, but it was even better cause the decoy was a blow-up doll that looked nothing like Kurt (the main character).
Old 10-19-2005, 04:33 AM   #7
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
The random item generator thing was pretty good, but really annoying when you completed a b*stard hard quest and for a reward ended up with the 'Crappy Gloves of Brian' or 'Skidmarked Y-Fronts of Ken'
Wow, you mean you got two out of the 3-part "Armour of Rubbish" set!?! I'm so jealous.

I quite like the idea of having two (or more) characters with different abilities that you can switch between to accomplish different tasks. The first game I recall this on was a C64 classic called "Head over Heels".(you can look it up here Head could jump and fire doughnuts. Heels could run fast and carry objects. Combined they could run fast and fire doughnuts. It was a really tough game but the thought needed to solve some of the puzzles (together or separate?) made it worth trying.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I quite like the idea of having two (or more) characters with different abilities that you can switch between to accomplish different tasks. The first game I recall this on was a C64 classic called "Head over Heels".(you can look it up here Head could jump and fire doughnuts. Heels could run fast and carry objects. Combined they could run fast and fire doughnuts. It was a really tough game but the thought needed to solve some of the puzzles (together or separate?) made it worth trying.
I like that too, The Lost Vikings is one of my favorite games, but I didn't like Project Eden all that much. Btw, you know there's a remake of Head Over Heels available? And some guys are even working on an unofficial sequel.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I like that too, The Lost Vikings is one of my favorite games, but I didn't like Project Eden all that much. Btw, you know there's a remake of Head Over Heels available? And some guys are even working on an unofficial sequel.
At first I went wahey with joy and started downloading. Now the memories of how frustratingly hard I found this game are creeping back.

Can't decide whether to or

Cold Topic

Old 10-20-2005, 05:07 AM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

Back on topic.

Usable sidekicks ala Flux Wildly in Toonstruck and Max in Sam and Max.

Psi Warrior style power ups.

In this game you played a man fighting against independent creatures of pure mind. The creatures came in two main types Psi and Id (there was a third type pupae but you were supposed to leave them alone.) In order to achieve amazing mental feats and ultimately defeat the final boss monster the source you had to absorb these creatures.(You netted them to drain their power. fail to net them and they could end up draining you.

However, you had a non-restorable rating called stability coefficient. If your Psi and Id weren't exactly equal this drained. The more out of balance they were the faster it drained. If you went down to zero in either it plummeted. Play became a real cat and mouse game as you had to decide whether to absorb or evade enemies attacking you.

Cold Topic