You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Should there be a "Hint" section in the forum?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2003, 08:20 AM   #1
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default Should there be a "Hint" section in the forum?

I'm pretty sure you have all noticed that most of the threads in the adventure section of the forum are people asking for hints, specially for In Memoriam, most don't even say the name of the game they need a hint for... they just assume this is a "In Memoriam" forum or something...

I posted a link to the only existing walkthrough, but some don't read and ask anyway...

And soon people will ask hints for Broken Sword III, Black Mirror (they already started to do it I think), Uru, etc...

Maybe there could be a hint section, and then set as a rule that when requesting help for a game you state which one it is?

There are already people asking for help in Black Mirror already... and it hasn't even reached Spain yet...
Old 11-07-2003, 08:44 AM   #2

there used to be.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
Head up in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
there used to be.
Yes, I recently thought too that it would be a good idea to get the Stuck Forum back. The "please help" threads on the main forum are taking over hand IMO. Nobody seems to read the sticky threads.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:07 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I only see a problem with the In Memoriam threads. For some reason those threads ignore all etiquette and are a disturbing element. The other hint threads are doing just fine where they are, I think. If anyone has suggestions on how to deal with the In Memoriam influx I'm open to it.

Let me just reiterate why the Stuck forum was removed. We observed that no one who actually knew the answers to the puzzles paid any attention to that forum. No one was getting what they were looking for. So, as an experiment, we let the hint requests mix with other threads.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:24 AM   #5
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I only see a problem with the In Memoriam threads. For some reason those threads ignore all etiquette and are a disturbing element. The other hint threads are doing just fine where they are, I think. If anyone has suggestions on how to deal with the In Memoriam influx I'm open to it.

Let me just reiterate why the Stuck forum was removed. We observed that no one who actually knew the answers to the puzzles paid any attention to that forum. No one was getting what they were looking for. So, as an experiment, we let the hint requests mix with other threads.
Well I try have help most of the In Memoriam gamers... I guess the problem is that there is only one walkthrough in the internet, and they don't bother to read it... And since it hasn't hit the US yet... only European gamers can help...

Now that I think of it, I may be the only forum member that helps out in the In Memoriam thread that didn't join the day it was released...

Maybe they think its cheating? But asking for help is cheating too...
Old 11-07-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I think something that might work would be to use a little bit of headology on people. If you post 3 sticky threads in the adventure forum, one called "In Memorium help thread", one called "Black Mirror help thread" and eventually one called "Broken Sword help thread" or "Uru" or something, as soon as people arrive they will notice firstly it's a diverse forum (and not an in memorium help forum, which I do believe some people seem to believe it is) and secondly, hopefully, decide to post queries in there. And to encourage people; perhaps merge any new In Memorium help threads into the sticky thread as soon as possible so there is only ever 1 at a time. After a while hopefully it will all die down and the threads can be cut loose?
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:47 PM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
...a little bit of headology...
Kickass
Old 11-07-2003, 10:46 PM   #8
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
Well I try have help most of the In Memoriam gamers...
Well, yes, because it's in the main forum where it's visible. Marek's point was that people weren't helping out when the questions were being asked in the OTHER forum. The fact that you're helping when it's here proves his point.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-08-2003, 04:21 AM   #9
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Just give it a trial. If it doesn't get used after a few months, get rid of it. I for one would like it if the adventure forum was less cluttered with help threads...
Old 11-09-2003, 02:31 AM   #10
soffistical

Personally I kind of like the help-posts being in the "big" forum. Kind of reminds me of good ol' games, and gives the opportunity to talk about them again. Guess that having to go through a five-page thread in order to get to the point where you actually DO need help, trying to semi-close your eyes not being spoilt on the way could be a tad problematic though, lol! All in all, like it with them in the big pot!
Old 11-16-2003, 02:37 AM   #11
ACK!

Doh! Now we are flooded by BSIII help threads! I knew it!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:27 AM   #12
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Wait till Uru comes out...