You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback The search function sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 03:05 AM   #1
Head up in the clouds

Default The search function sucks

Hi guys, I'm a little enervated by the search function in this forum. Why did you choose (or is it the standard in the program) to ask for a minimum of four letters? The problem is, I was looking for something special to do with BS3 (can't enter that term, too short), then I tried Broken Sword 3 (haha, 1 lettered word). That way I can only look for Broken Sword - and forget it as I have an employer sitting in my back. Many games are known by their abbreviations: MI, TLJ etc., none of them will work.

I hope you plan to alter this or the search function is pretty useless where special requests are concerned - hasn't anybody complained about this before?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:11 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I second this request. I'm not sure what the use for such a limitation is. All I can think of is that it keeps words like "the" from counting, but it's sort of an odd solution.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
Friendly Server Admin

Firstly, you HAVE to understand that we did NOT write this forum software. vBulletin is developed by Jelsoft, and they make fundamental design decisions like that one. The reason three letter words are excluded is that vb3 builds two search index tables. One with a row for every word over three letters long used on the forum (currently 32,775 rows) and another with a row linking each word to the thread(s) it's used in (currently 286,165 rows). Now, if we included short words like "the" and "and" in there, how many rows do you think the index table (the big one) is going to be? It would be a waste of server resources and a waste of time, given the rarity of threads containing useful three letter words.

Besides, did you try searching for "Broken Sword 3" (with quotes)?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:46 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

And if I remember correctly the SQL server does not support such short text searches too by default... But I must admit it is irritating if you look for something short...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 11-03-2003, 07:01 AM   #5
Friendly Server Admin

No, the match()/against() functions do not allow words of three or fewer characters, but that's not how vb3 (or vb2, phpbb2, etc.) does searches. If you search for "doggy" it does a select on the words table to see what ID 'doggy' is. Then it does a query on the searchindex table, which gives it a list of all the threads 'doggy' is used in. It's actually faster than using fulltext searches via match()/against() but you pay a penalty at posting time to index every word, and a huge penalty if those indexes ever need to be rebuilt.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:08 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
No, the match()/against() functions do not allow words of three or fewer characters, but that's not how vb3 (or vb2, phpbb2, etc.) does searches. If you search for "doggy" it does a select on the words table to see what ID 'doggy' is. Then it does a query on the searchindex table, which gives it a list of all the threads 'doggy' is used in. It's actually faster than using fulltext searches via match()/against() but you pay a penalty at posting time to index every word, and a huge penalty if those indexes ever need to be rebuilt.
Wow...! That must be a really big table by now... So when are you starting the AGers dictionary?
I guess the penalty when posting balances the searching at least... I guess it does, or else they haven't done it like that... Interesting, never knew that!

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 11-03-2003, 07:11 AM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

Like I posted earlier, the searchindex table has 286,165 rows right now.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
Head up in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Like I posted earlier, the searchindex table has 286,165 rows right now.
I'm not so much interested in the depths of the program, but you're right the quotation marks help, thanks. Maybe that and any other support for searchers should be visible when one presses the search button? I don't think many people know of this.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #9
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy white
I'm not so much interested in the depths of the program, but you're right the quotation marks help, thanks. Maybe that and any other support for searchers should be visible when one presses the search button? I don't think many people know of this.
Again, I didn't write the forum software. Jelsoft did. Right now, it's in beta, so the search help page is incomplete. See my other post regarding forum upgrades for info on when we can get RC1 installed.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Retirement is stupid

Incidentally, I searched for "Doug" and "rage" and found this thread with no problems.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."