You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Introducing: The AG Store

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Friendly Server Admin

Default Introducing: The AG Store

Here's your Official Thread for discussing the new AG Store page.

(As seen in such fashionable publications as this respected journal)
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #2

While I won't be buying Texas Hold Em because I have no clue how to play it, it's still awesome that this site now has a store and Telltale selling the game online instead of messing around with publishers. And it seems far more interesting than most card games.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
guybrush_guy

Default I just bought it

i already bought it, i put my credit card number in the second i saw it up on the telltail site. the game kicks ass!

everyone should buy this game, it fricken rocks....i love tell tale

Old 02-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #4

Cute game. I'm not a massive poker fan though, but I did manage to beat the demo.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I've only seen this Texas Hold 'Em name spring up in the last couple of years or so... is this a new 'type' of playing poker or has it been around for eons upon eons, buried beneath the layers of crusty old playing cards?

Also, I don't know how to play regular poker, if there is such a thing. But I think I'll try out the demo.

Oh, and yeah. Congratulations on the store. I hope you'll be having more collaborations with developers in the future.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Its been around, but for some reason my friends and I only ever played five card draw... because its ridiculously easy I guess?

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Well, I played it. Not hard to figure out the rules.

The game is pretty clever for a small casual game, I like the stuff the characters are talking about and their little exchanges. The character models could use some work though.. they seem awfully weird (Not "Oh, cool" weird, just weird, graphically and functionally speaking).

I managed to eliminate Harry by going all in in the first round, and as soon as he left I got the "Buy now" screen. It seems that the trial defaults to a round limit of 6-7 or so but if anyone gets eliminated it immediately ends.

The music is also very good.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

The character models and design are a little bit goofy, but they're not horribly offensive. Plus they have Graham Annable (lead animator on Sam & Max 2, creator of the Grickle comics you might have heard about on Double Fine Action News and elsewhere) as their art director on their next title, plus they've said its based on an established franchise, so I suspect we'll be seeing more solid art direction on their next outing.

The way the characters faces are animated and how they interact is really nice though. Its good to play a game like this against characters who at least from time to time seem alive. It really makes me want to see what they'll do with a full adventure game.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
jaf
big, hairy and blue

Damn, I thought you were going to sell AG mugs and Tshirts...
Congratulations on the new feature though
Old 02-12-2005, 05:46 AM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Heh, I had the same thoughts as jaf when I first saw the title of this thread...

An AG t-shirt would be a killer.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:04 AM   #11
Doctor Watson

AG has sold itself to Satan. All Telltale games will get a 10/5 score from now on.

For some reason I'm not terribly excited...

Last edited by deadworm222; 02-12-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
Under pressure.

Mixed feelings as well.

--Erwin
Old 02-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #13
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I like it. I hope they distribute their first adventure game via the internet, and thus AG, too.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #14
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
AG has sold itself to Satan. All Telltale games will get a 10/5 score from now on.

For some reason I'm not terribly excited...
Do you honestly believe the fact that AG is selling a Telltale game will affect their editorial policy towards reviewing future Telltale titles? If anything AG seems like the kind of site that would overcompensate and find themselves being inadvertantly harsh to the next Telltale adventure title...

Old 02-12-2005, 09:03 AM   #15
Bearly Here

Quote:
If anything AG seems like the kind of site that would overcompensate and find themselves being inadvertantly harsh to the next Telltale adventure title...
True - In keeping with this we have a pre-fabricated review form just for TellTales"

It's labeled....

"We already hate your game"
Old 02-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #16
Homer of Kittens

I won't be buying texas hold 'em coz
A- 14.99 I think is steep for a card game
B- I already play texas hold 'em in real life against friends.

I still think this is a great idea to sell their games online, and something I was just discussing yesterday in:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=6831

Valve is doing it, so is Irrational software. It really makes tons of sense.

Firefox rules
Old 02-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Do you honestly believe the fact that AG is selling a Telltale game will affect their editorial policy towards reviewing future Telltale titles? If anything AG seems like the kind of site that would overcompensate and find themselves being inadvertantly harsh to the next Telltale adventure title...
No no, it's true. It's in the contract and everything:

"I, the undersigned, hereby and forthwith do promise both inflated scores and my eternal soul to the highest bidder."

I must admit, I wrestled with my conscience when Marek first announced this plan, but the promise of such insanely lucrative riches such as this was simply too much to withstand.

(Look, horns!)

Okay, seriously, this is SO not an issue. There's absolutely no way that we would jeopardize our credibility with any kind of favouritism, so let's put that concern to rest.

Online sales/downloadable content, etc. is becoming an increasingly viable (and maybe ONLY) method for some developers to sell (and therefore make) their games, so AG is just doing its part to help establish that as a legitimate vehicle. If it means helping bring more games to market that would otherwise have no such opportunity, what's not to like?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #18
Freeware Co-ordinator

I've trusted the management here so far. Until I actually see obviously skewed reviews I'll carry on trusting them for now. After all I (gasp) don't rely solely on here for game information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
No no, it's true. It's in the contract and everything:

"I, the undersigned, hereby and forthwith do promise both inflated scores and my eternal soul to the highest bidder."
Is this an ebay thing or do you have e-mail bids? Is this soul fully roadworthy and does it come with any special features? What is the highest bid at the moment?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #19
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Jake, of course we don't believe that. But that's not the point. From now on it's very easy for people to be suspicious. Especially from people outside this forum community. Let me put it this way: It doesn't make the site *more* trustworthy and it could raise suspicion amongst the general visitor.

On the other hand I'm also excited. This could be a great opportunity for independent developers like the Project Joe team, for example.

Only time will tell

--Erwin

Last edited by Erwin_Br; 02-12-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:35 PM   #20
Doctor Watson

Aye.