You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Dreamfall--From Sketch to Model

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 03:14 AM   #21
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
That's my attitude. I'm more just discussing it for the sake of discussion, and because I can't discuss the full-scale game yet!
The lively discussions here are actually my main reason for joining AG forums. In my favourite german forum its next to impossible at the moment to have a discussion worth its name (well, sometimes it works but rarely).
Discussing Dreamfall for example usually only leeds to complaining about the planned action elements. Nobody seems to attempt finding out what might be good about them. OK, I guess, I'll move over to the Dreamfall-preview-Thread in the adventure forum.

Quote:
Also, GED X-42 had a very good point about voiceovers, at least in the English language version. If Zoe sounds like Marilynn Monroe, that's one thing, but if she sounds like . . . oh I don't know, someone more zingy, that's quite another.
Yes, that is a really a good point, though I can only comment on the german version but this one also was done remarkably well. They hired a lot of experienced and also well known voice actors. Must have cost loads-a-money... 8-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
How's that for intelligent marketing, eh?
Wow, Trep! If I look at Zoë like that she starts to draw my attention.
Your post reminds me of your "Syberia" essay which I guess I'll just have to read again because its so... so... I'm at a loss for words... just great!
Old 01-16-2005, 03:35 AM   #22
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryScots
Quote:
Also, GED X-42 had a very good point about voiceovers, at least in the English language version. If Zoe sounds like Marilynn Monroe, that's one thing, but if she sounds like . . . oh I don't know, someone more zingy, that's quite another.
Yes, that is a really a good point, though I can only comment on the german version but this one also was done remarkably well. They hired a lot of experienced and also well known voice actors. Must have cost loads-a-money... 8-)

I played both the german version, and the english version. I have to say they were both equally well done.

One thing though: I prefer the german voice of Cortez over his english voice. (the german voice sounds young [not too young], but still wise)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-16-2005, 05:36 AM   #23
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I dunno about the male gamers, but I'll tell you one thing. My 21-year-old niece Kristin (more best friend than niece, actually) has that exact same body type and wears exactly those kinds of clothes (down to the exposed belly button). Kristin would absolutely play Dreamfall based on Zoe's look and character alone. But most importantly Kristin would most likely identify with Zoe - a beautiful, strong, yet still very feminine young woman studying at uni, who is idealistic yet undecided of herself on many levels (regrettably the only thing missing are tattoos and piercings). Sensuous without looking trampy.

How's that for intelligent marketing, eh?
That's what I meant to say!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:25 AM   #24

Great feature!
You should start begging for more exclusives (if you haven't already).
Old 01-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #25
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I think Funcom is really dripfeeding the Dreamfall stuff, but I'm trying!
Old 01-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #26
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy
Default Zoephilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadworm222
Anyway, Zoë still doesn't look like Lara [...]
I think she looks very much like Lara Croft in picture #6.
Moreover, I think, that's not a very wise decision - marketing-wise!

Also, I absolutely agree to Igor: The European look (pic #2), esp. w/. short hair, is the most interesting (and attractive) to me.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:48 AM   #27

I gotta agree with Trep and DW. There are about 20,000 young girls wandering Portland, OR that look and dress exactly like the final Zoe model, minus the circus freak eyes of course. (Should've gone with the #5 eyes, but hey, it's fantasy, not a documentary.)They would stop and peruse that final poster in second. I agree. Great marketing.

Also, again AG proves as far as adventure games newsie bits go, it's number 1.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:24 AM   #28
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyToy
I think she looks very much like Lara Croft in picture #6.
Moreover, I think, that's not a very wise decision - marketing-wise!
"Lara Croft is an annoying, characterless, under-designed, over-developed, over-publicized whore." - Yufster

I don't see Zoë that way, but maybe I'm just blind to things like that. Dreamfall sounds more French than anything to me, and "as long as it's French it can't be smut", says April Ryan.

I'm desperately trying to objectify Kian and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

Last edited by deadworm222; 01-17-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:40 AM   #29
furryyellowthing

Quote:
"Lara Croft is an annoying, characterless, under-designed, over-developed, over-publicized whore." - Yufster

I don't see Zoë that way
Neither do I. (Neither Zoë nor Lara.)
But that's not the point!
Those things this Yufster guy mentions are basically attributes one can't judge from a character's physical appearance!
And since we only know Zoë's physical appearance (the surface), we just can't know whether she's annoying, or characterless, or a whore!

FYI: I don't find her physical appearane annoying.
Though I agree with EC, she shouldn't be wearing that purple tank top...

Quote:
Dreamfall sounds more French than anything to me, and "as long as it's French it can't be smut", says April Ryan.
*cough cough*

Quote:
I'm desperately trying to objectify Kian and nobody seems to have a problem with that.
I think it's your damn good right to do so!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Neither do I. (Neither Zoë nor Lara.)
But that's not the point!
Those things this Yufster guy mentions are basically attributes one can't judge from a character's physical appearance!
And since we only know Zoë's physical appearance (the surface), we just can't know whether she's annoying, or characterless, or a whore!
From what I know, this Yuster guy is a girl, and she's quite ferocious... So I wouldn't try to defend Lara, if I were you. (she's not worthy of you, anyway )
Old 01-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #31
Doctor Watson

Don't worry, Yufster doesn't visit AG.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #32
furryyellowthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
From what I know, this Yuster guy is a girl, and she's quite ferocious... So I wouldn't try to defend Lara, if I were you. (she's not worthy of you, anyway )
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Don't worry, Yufster doesn't visit AG.
I'm sorry anyway, Yufster.

However ferocious, I would always defend the game Tomb Raider (at least the first two or three parts). The character of Lara Croft is another question. And her bodily appearance is yet another question!
Old 01-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #33
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Oh man, looking at these screens just makes me depressed. Not that they are bad or anything, I always wanted to learn how to model 3D stuff by just having a concept drawing as refference and then texture it.

Need .... to find...... more.......... timeee.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:30 PM   #34
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I don't do objects, hon, I do people. [snaps fingers with a wave]

Quote:
I agree with EC, she shouldn't be wearing that purple tank top...
Hey watch it, buddy! That's like telling my niece Kristin not to do the same thing, and she is her own woman, dammit! In fact, I just told her now and she's on the next plane to fly out and kick yo' ass!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2005, 01:04 AM   #35
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I don't do objects, hon, I do people. [snaps fingers with a wave]
I know you don't and I didn't mean it either.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #36
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Though I agree with EC, she shouldn't be wearing that purple tank top...

Wouldn't she be half naked, if she took off the tank top? Eeeeeeeeek! :eek:

- :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #37
merely human

:eek: Is that what BoyToy actually meant?!

BoyToy
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2005, 07:17 PM   #38
furryyellowthing

Trep, let me know when your niece arrives. I'll pick her up at the airport, then we can discuss the matter (and I can explain what I meant)!
*innocent whistle*
Old 01-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #39
merely human

[ ]That's fine. As long as you forward me pinksie's phone number so that I can call her and let her know where my niece dumped your body after she got through with you. [ / ]
Old 01-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #40
furryyellowthing

Yeah, just PM her for the number. I think she'd really like to watch the whole thing anyway!

EDIT: This is certainly on-topic, right? It is all about the purple tank top after all!