You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 09:41 AM   #1
Easily amused

Default Myst IV review

I really enjoyed this review, in particular the comparisons to Riven. Riven is the epitomy of adventure gaming for me, and it's nice to see that this new Myst installment compares favourably. I'm looking forward to savoring Revelation.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I really enjoyed this review, in particular the comparisons to Riven. Riven is the epitomy of adventure gaming for me, and it's nice to see that this new Myst installment compares favourably. I'm looking forward to savoring Revelation.
I don't know... I wouldn't compare Myst 4 with Riven, I think it's much closer to Exile, only bigger, harder, more beautiful, with a (immensely) better story. More charming and compelling, too.
The worlds are very coherent within themselves, but not between themselves, so you don't get the same feeling of one huge puzzle that you get in Riven.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:28 AM   #3
23 Railway Cuttings

The reviewer obviously had a different version of the game to the one I had. My copy:

* was painfully slow at times
* wouldn't let me skip most cutscenes
* had "out of sync" lip synch (lip non synch ???)
* required constant tweaking of the gamma correction between light and dark areas
* had non-functional subtitles (in Dutch no less ???!)
* had no hint system in it at all (this was not mentioned in the manual either)

I paid for all these things because I was promised them by the game itself and the reviews I read. I therefore felt very let down by the game and won't be buying into the hype next time they release anything.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
The reviewer obviously had a different version of the game to the one I had. My copy:

* required constant tweaking of the gamma correction between light and dark areas

I paid for all these things because I was promised them by the game itself and the reviews I read. I therefore felt very let down by the game and won't be buying into the hype next time they release anything.
* full install ?
* i think they are all skippable with the space key (sometimes you have to keep the key down a bit longer to get it to skip)
* full install?
* didn't have this problem I'm afraid
* my subtitles did seem to work without a problem (dutch version)
* this can be found in one of the option tabs in the menu (well in the dutch version at least)
Old 11-02-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
23 Railway Cuttings

Yes, yes, full install.
Mine was bought from Amazon.co.uk, so I was surprised to see the Dutch language option in the subtitle area - when I tried to enable subtitles I found I couldn't interact with it at all. I do know that this problem will apparently be fixed in a patch (to be released by Cyan) but that's not the point.
There was nothing under the options menu about hints or a hint system.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton

I didn't have any of these problems, but of course, I can't say I've tried out the subtitles. Nor the hint system. But I could skip any system and it was never really slow, and I didn't notice synch problem.
My main problem was before I updated my graphic drivers, and since then it crashed once in 15 or so hours, and managed to auto save even then.

EDIT: Oh, and I have access to Dutch subtitles as well, which are the only subtitles available. But are not that interesting to me, as you can guess.