You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback AG reviews Legacy Dark Shadows

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 PM   #1
guybrush_guy

Default AG reviews Legacy Dark Shadows

if anyone hasn't read the review of legacy dark shadows, then go check it out on the main page or click the link below. Emily did a nice a really nice job so make sure you read it!
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,436

i was looking forward to this game but after reading the review I'm not sure if it's worth my money. one side of me want to get it just to support the developer and the other side isn't sure if I'm going to enjoy it at all. I'm not big on the whole must have great graphics and sound, so I'm not worried about that. it's the storyline that gets me into a game.
has anyone else played this game? the review on the main site and the feedback on the forum is what is going to lead me into getting this game.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:06 AM   #2
23 Railway Cuttings

Mmm, good review Emily.

But this is a real shame as I had been really looking forward to this game (and it seems like the development team has had enough time to iron out these sorts of problems with all their publisher problems, so there is no excuse there...)

It seems to me that so many potentially good adventure games are being produced these days and yet the finished article is just not up to scratch. For me, there is a clear need for an editor of sorts who is involved throughout the entire development process and has the veto (within reason) over the development team.

I think I speak for the majority of people here when I say that we are all tired of the same mistakes being made time and time again in games (annoying timed sequences, frustrating mazes, poor speech etc.) so maybe it is time that development teams changed the way they do things with regards to the editing process.

Releasing early engine or game demos would be perhaps one way to get feedback from the community (people like ourselves who know what works and what doesn't) rather than having to pay an editor to sit on the team during development.

To get back to Legacy though, I'm not saying I won't buy it, I'll just wait until the price comes right down. Shame, as I really want to support these kinds of efforts, but at the end of the day, I'm not here to throw money at people.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

A real fair review! I was able to play a ß-version, so don't know what they changed ever since... The voices are not professional, but not very annoying IMO... Puzzles are quite easy, but I don't really mind... I hate to get stuck in some stupid 'can't go there because it's locked but the key is nowehere to be found' puzzle... The story could have been explored more thoroughly though, I agree...

As I said, a fair review... I feel about the same about the game. Would I buy it? Depends on the price, but I have that with quite a number of games... Not for €50, but for the half I would definitely buy it!

Hope they are able to make a second game, put the experience (and engine) into it and make a killer-game!

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 10-27-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Radiation Angel

Send a message via ICQ to Two birds Send a message via AIM to Two birds Send a message via MSN to Two birds

I hope I'm not being critical, but the review seems to say that the game doesn't have a lot going for it besides nostalgia. Ren seems mostly like an excuse to put a chick in leather on the cover and the story seems atrociously mish-mash.

It just seems like if I was the one writing the review, I would have written it the same way but come to a completely different conclusion.

Also, their website links to EB Games, who say it's going for $30 USD (just to contribute something useful to my reply)
Old 10-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks everyone. This was my first review so I was a little nervous.

I think we tend to really get our hopes up when we're waiting for a game... especially games that take a long time to come out... and in this case, excitement was heightened because the developer had released a lot of information about the story that made us think the game was going to be a certain way. I have seen a lot of posts (on this board and others) from people who are anticipating this game being better than TLJ. To tell you the truth, it made me feel really bad to tell people this might not be the case... I hate hurting people's feelings (it's a girl thing!)

From a few things I've heard and Razbor's synopsis of the storyline, I get the impression that they had a desire to go in one direction, but for whatever reason (money, time, etc.) they had to make some sacrifices. Unfortunately, IMO, the game that resulted is not what they were promising... and I think that's where the disappointment comes in. With some games (like the new LSL ) I make a point of being cautiously optimistic; then there are others (like this one) where you really, really, really just want it to be good.

I am eager for the game to be released. It's very strange to be one of the few who has played something. I can't wait to hear what others think of it.

-emily

ps Two Birds, I understand what you're saying about coming to a different conclusion. I'm not sure how well I can explain this - but even with all the strikes against it, I still considered it worth playing. I think the fact that I DID come to that conclusion speaks to Razbor's potential as an AG studio.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #6

Nice job on the review, Emily.

It's too bad the game didn't turn out better. The things I have been reading made me think that the game might turn out to be excellent. I might still give it a try.

Hopefully, Razbor will get a chance to improve on Leagacy: Dark shadows and develop a better game in the future like Frogwares did with the progression of the Mytery of Mummy to the Silver Earing.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
Radiation Angel

Send a message via ICQ to Two birds Send a message via AIM to Two birds Send a message via MSN to Two birds

Hi Emily,

I do agree it does have some things going for it (not enough games are set on Mars or asteroids, even if only partially) but I guess the real question is, do you think it would be worth paying $30 to play it?

Also, titles with generic and uninspired titles bother me. If I see another game with 'Shadows' in the title, I'm going to scream. It's possible I'm already predisposed to hate it.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two birds
I guess the real question is, do you think it would be worth paying $30 to play it?
No, I don't. I'd wait for a price cut.

-emily
Old 10-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
merely human

Good work, fov. A down-to-earth, common sensical approach to your critique. Looking forward to more from you.

Aside from the technicalities of leaving out lipsyncing and other small yet otherwise effective features, the one thing I noticed, based on your slant, is the lack the of imaginativeness and inventiveness of the Razbor team. Nowhere had you mentioned in detail any particularly memorable and piquant moments or scenes, anything that drew you in to pause and linger. Very telling. You can have the absolute tightest budget and an imposed deadline, but I feel that if I played this game that I'd be bored - with the 'cut & paste' characters, the absence of an intriguingely conceived and original gameworld, the typical 'solve this science fiction mystery' scenario. I think Legacy may have ultimately missed the mark for simply being.......ordinary.

That said, I truly hope that next time Razbor will really push itself in terms of some new, unexplored concepts within the boundaries of classic adventure gaming.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #10

Nice review, Emily, even though it completely threw me off-guard, and congrats on warning everyone that the games' story is different from what Razbor has made us believe, and that the game has no lip-synching. Small problem, but I can live with that.

Overall, it sounds like Legacy is going to be an average game, but I'm still looking forward to it, mainly because you said in the review that the gameplay is good old-fashioned point-and-click adventuring. I only hope Tri Synergy will charge us a respectable price in order to buy it ($19.99-29.99) seems very decent to me), and not one that's very expensive. Like those action games, that cost like $50.00, for example.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I hate hurting people's feelings (it's a girl thing!)
Is it...? OMG...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 10-31-2004, 10:31 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Is it...? OMG...

Arg! I broke a nail on that pan!

Old 11-04-2004, 06:59 AM   #13
Bearly Here

Quote:
This was my first review so I was a little nervous
Well, hard to tell - you have a real way with words. You sure you're not some ringer from some place over seas, making us think you are all new to this and then WAHM you hit us with all this killer writing hmmm

Seriously, I much enjoyed reading your review not just once, but twice. Good stuff.

Though I have a slightly better view of the game. I thought some of the voices in the game were so bad, it was scary to think that people really talked that way. But, I had such a good time with the gameplay itself. And fortunately, Ren sounded great. I have to admit, I can;t say anything about the ending because my preview build had nothing more than "ending being programmed" It seemed like a moderately long game, so I did sort of scream at my PC and say WHAT!

Psssst, any info on whats behind that door would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
Well, hard to tell - you have a real way with words. You sure you're not some ringer from some place over seas, making us think you are all new to this and then WAHM you hit us with all this killer writing hmmm

Seriously, I much enjoyed reading your review not just once, but twice. Good stuff.
Aww, thanks. I write about gential warts on a daily basis - real easy to transpose that to adventure gaming. Errr.... never mind.

Glad to hear you have a differing opinion on the game! I have read a few other reviews and found at least one to be very favorable. I'm excited to see what others think - the ship date is now (supposedly) 11/8.

I'm sending you a PM about the ending.

emily
Old 11-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #15
Bearly Here

Thanks Em, and somehow... well.... I was not surprised.

The drooling sounds, pounding and screaming did kind of give it away...

Maybe the "to be programmed" was a better ending.....

I am not even going near your "other" writing experience. *tip toes away*