You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Project Joe demo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Project Joe demo

I have to ask about this. On the front page, today's big update about the Project Joe demo says: "World exclusive: AG is the only place you can find the playable demo for this exciting third-person adventure!"

In the forum thread which "teased" us about the demo, Evan said, "...we will have the exclusive world premiere of a very cool new adventure game demo."

And yet.... the demo was also made available at GamersHell today.
http://www.gamershell.com/download_7287.shtml

Does "exclusive" not mean what I think it does?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

i know what your saying, if anything it's a good thing. it keeps the sites servers down at a slow pace and makes it cheaper for them, and people can now enjoy the game even more because it's reaching a wider audience

Old 10-18-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
Banned User

Ummm.... yeah, but..... doesn't that mean that AG is lying? Is THAT a good thing?

Or am I misunderstanding the definition of the word "exclusive?"
Old 10-18-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

It means that (and if you read the other Project Joe demo thread before posting thinly veiled insinuating whines you would know this already) Adventure Gamers does have the exclusive, or did, but Gamers Hell mirrored the demo, intially without permission. They were courteous enough, you hopefully noticed, to put a "courtesy of Adventure Gamers" note on their site when they updated about the file.

Surely you bothered to investigate this slightly before you posted a ridiculous thread about it?

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-18-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
Banned User

Ummm.... then shouldn't the front page be changed so as to not misrepresent the situation? Or am I supposed to take care of that too?

And the GamersHell page I linked to (the actual d/l page where I ran across the file) makes no mention of AG.

I don't see what exactly you think it is I did wrong? Other than perhaps not reading the other thread before I posted in the appropriate place.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
Banned User

However, my apologies to those involved for my not having a full knowlege of how the situation unfolded today. I wasn't trying to point any fingers at specific individuals or imply deliberate deception. I should not have used the word "lying."
Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
Retirement is stupid

Well, since your last post was joyously civil I will explain the situation in greater detail.

- We were granted the exclusive demo by the developers. We were the only ones provided the original file.

- Gamer's Hell--though they intended to seek permission, they jumped the gun a little--mirrored the demo. Anyone who would find the demo through the Gamer's Hell website would see the "Courtesy of Adventure Gamers" line and the link. We had a good discussion with their chief this afternoon and all of this was ironed out. They're actually darn good folks.

- Clearly you followed a link from elsewhere to the GH page you linked to--I can't say what exactly motivates people to link to one site instead of another; I don't want to outright accuse someone of actively denying AG credit, but...the person who gave you that link in the first place certainly had to have gone through the screen with the Courtesy disclaimer and it would have been nice if they had alerted others to it as Bluesnews.com and others did...but anyway, all of that aside, the only reason anyone in the world is playing Project Joe today is because of Adventure Gamers, regardless of what site actually served them the file. That being the case, I will sleep at least my usual 4.75 hours tonight fairly comfortable with our use of the word "exclusive."

(by the way Jim, did you like the game )

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 PM   #8
Banned User

Hrmmm... I went straight from the front page at GH to the Downloads/Demos and Full page (from the menu on the left hand of the mainpage) to the Project Joe page and there is no mention of AG along the way. (I was not given a link... someone just mentioned to me that it was at GH.)

Haven't played it yet, though I have the d/l. Been too busy with my review of Atlantis Evolution to play anything else.

Man, did a lot of people screw the pooch on hyping up THAT game or what? (And no, I don't mean just you. JA+ is devoting this whole week to it.)
Old 10-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
Retirement is stupid

Well, then I should apologize for making an assumption about the GH link. I hope you enjoy the demo when you have a chance to play it.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying AE--I've thought it held a good bit of promise since E3 and am disappointed to hear that might not be the case. But, that's a matter for a different thread.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:12 PM   #10
Banned User

Oh! I thought you had played or were playing AE. My mistake.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:34 AM   #11
Retirement is stupid

Nope--too busy myself with BeTrapped and Moment of Silence and trying to finish Wanted. I've got AE sitting by the computer but I'll be lucky if I get to it by Christmas at the rate I'm going.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:50 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

well i just noticed on gamershell, it says that the project joe demo has been dowloaded 802 times......thats actually pretty good
Old 10-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #13
merely human

BJ, thanks for your vigilance.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #14
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
well i just noticed on gamershell, it says that the project joe demo has been dowloaded 802 times......thats actually pretty good
Wow! I think Adventure Gamers should've put up a counter too, or something. These things always interest me, for some reason.

--Erwin
Old 10-19-2004, 12:52 PM   #15
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Wow! I think Adventure Gamers should've put up a counter too, or something. These things always interest me, for some reason.
One might call you a statistic freak. Actually one might call me that as well.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #16
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
One might call you a statistic freak. Actually one might call me that as well.
Yes. There were times when I checked my website statistics on an hourly basis.

--Erwin
Old 10-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #17
Mostly absent

Er, I only did that like once a day. Now the bloody program seems to have broken. Typical.

*must get statistics!*