You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback The Revolution Poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default The Revolution Poll

Revolution loves to hear what you think, apparently.

What's everyone think about this?

To repeat myself from elsewhere, I said "certainly interested" because I'm curious as to what specifically they had in mind. That said I don't know much about mobile phones outside the few that my friends have - none of which I could picture playing an adventure game on. I never know what "next gen" means either.

Would I be interested in episodic adventure games? Yes. In adventure gaming on a portable system? Yes. Episodic adveture games on a cell phone? Ehh, I'd need some convincing.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens

Last edited by Jake; 09-22-2004 at 11:55 AM. Reason: i can't spell "revolution" apparently.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Yes, I feel the same way exactly.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-22-2004, 12:31 PM   #3

Not interested.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 09-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5
Not interested.
you echoed my sentiments...i dont think episodic would work on console...and the only thing i hold in my hands is...my controller
so count me out on this one...handheld sucks
Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Yes, I feel the same way exactly.
Hey, me too.

I went for the middle option eventually though - I can't say I'm "certainly interested" in sitting around on a bus annoying people with my mobile phone, but episodic adventure games really do have potential. In some non-annoying form.

Has there ever been an episodic game of any kind released via Xbox Live? Whoa, tangent city.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

"Certainly interested" is the middle option, Huz. You're talking nonsense.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Pffft. I think certainly interested conveys more enthusiasm than very interested. Or something.

Well anyway, I voted the middle option, whatever it was.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Before everyone immediately presses "no" because they want Revolution to make a PC game, remember they're exploring new business avenues (which isn't a bad idea, really).

Although I don't own a mobile phone or handheld gaming device that would ever run a game of BS:TSD production values, I selected "Certainly interested." Adventure games always seemed like an ideal genre to me for playing on the bus, in the train or during a lunchbreak. You can just take your time to really get into it and when you're done you can just save it at any time and go off where you left the next time. I imagine playing an adventure game sitting in my couch in the same position as reading a book.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Before everyone immediately presses "no" because they want Revolution to make a PC game, remember they're exploring new business avenues (which isn't a bad idea, really).
Sorry, Marek, but I agree with everyone who voted for Not Interested. I do have a cell phone, but I use it only to call my parents when I'm on break at work, or if I'm by myself when I go shopping with them. I'd like Revolution to keep making PC Games, instead.

Last edited by VoodooFX; 09-23-2004 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #10
The Dartmaster

Nowhere does it say that voting "no" will grant you a Revolution-developed PC game.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

Hopefully people will just answer truthfully, rather than make a conscious effort to influence the results one way or the other.

As much as I'd like to see Revolution do well in whatever they do, I had to answer "Not interested". My personal level of interest is exactly zero.

Now, if the question was, do I think it's an idea worth exploring, regardless of my own personal indifference, I'd have answered differently.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:03 PM   #12

My interest for a mobile adventure game is non-existant. I voted "No". It was tempting to lie and tell I was interested just for the sake of "supporting" the adventure gaming market, but I just don't think Revolution should even consider this market. An adventure game just isn't pick-up-and-play-for-10-minutes material.

But I would like to see downloadable episodical material for the PCs, so get started on those low-budget games now, you hear? I'll gladly pay for that.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:38 PM   #13
Babbling as Usual

Episodic gaming does have potential. It just needs a quality developer to do it well before it really can take off.

I selected "Not interested," because even though I have a brand-spankin' new cell-phone, the last thing I would ever want to do on it is play an adventure game on it.

I mean, Tetris, Pong, Asteroids, WarioWare.... those are perfect games for cell-phone/handhelds. But can you see yourself playing Broken Sword on the bus or metro? What about a FPS like Half-Life?

Although there are plenty of deep, well-developed games for the GBA, most people who are outside of the youth/early teen market tend to have 2-4 games that they keep on hand for their GBA. Usually the games are short, light on plot, high on action/reflexes, and make it really easy to preserve your progress.

I really don't see adventures translating well into the mobile medium, even if the LCDs and technology massively improves over the next few years.

But hey-- you never know. Last I heard, there was an Age of Empires game for the Palm platform. Now you try playing THAT one on the bus....
Old 09-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #14
The Dartmaster

I think if you design your game right you could make it fun for a handheld. I can't imagine Grim Fandango being fun on a handheld, but something more lighthearted with less convoluted puzzling (and possibly minigames??) would be manageable and enjoyable, at least for me. The people who have ScummVM on their PDA's seem pleased.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #15
pain is love

I feel a bit bad for voting "Not interested", but I really ain't. It's nice to see people trying to make something new though. Hope it works for them.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #16
Jen

I put certainly interested. I have a last-generation (if I might be permitted to coin a term here) cell phone and must now content myself with solitaire or pool (the Snood faces are too small to see ) if I have to wait for someone or something. I'd much rather play a game with some meat on its bones in those situations. Right now the downloadable games only take a minute or so to obtain, and only cost a buck or two to purchase, so if there were an adventure downloadable, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:13 PM   #17
More slaw!!!

I didn't like the poll options very much.

To claim that I am "Not very interested" is quite an understatement.

I think that's just me though, I'm not very trendy, and I'm not all too fond of these modern technologies. I have a mobile phone, which I got only under duress, and I use it as little as possible.

I have no desire whatsoever to ever be able to play games on a mobile phone, whether they be adventure games or not.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #18

It's probably worth me pointing out that the poll is not directly related to our current projects. We're not talking about BS4, for example. That game is being planned for the PC platform, in the usual manner. This poll came about simply because we were asked to talk with a chip maker who expressed an interest in adventure gaming and knew we were involved with the scene.

tony @ rev
Old 09-22-2004, 11:55 PM   #19
Doctor Watson

Because they said "the same quality as BS3", I voted 'certainly interested'. BeTrapped doesn't get me too interested, but...
Old 09-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #20

I'm not interested in episodic adventures (yet), and neither am I interested in mobile adventures.
So I voted "Not interested", not because I want Revolution to make a PC game, but just because I don't care about this at all. Not that I'm a huge fan of Revolution in the first place anyway.