You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Dreamfall preview

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Dreamfall preview

HAH! I've beat everyone to it! I'm the first to state the obvious! (Well unless you include trep , hehehe) The Dreamfall preview is OUT, baby, yeah! It's Groovie grrrr...

Seriously, this sounds like an awesome game, which is also an awesome obstacle course to beat. I can't wait.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-18-2004, 01:18 AM   #2

I'm saving my excitement until I actually play the first game - which should be soon as I ordered the thing off Play a while ago - but yeah, this seems to be tending distinctly towards the awesome...
Old 05-18-2004, 01:26 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

"Here is an aspect of why we like to call this action-adventure. Try to open the door. In a normal adventure game you would have to find an item, you know a discarded bone or a pipe or something. You know what we are going to do though? We're just going to kick the damn door in." – Ragnar Tornquist

FULL THROTTLE!!!

Now really, I mean it's a great preview, thanks guys and especially thanks to Christina who wrote it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:12 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Those environments look very pretty, and very explorable.

Well, that's my in depth commentary for today.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:24 AM   #5
After 2 years...

...Dreams are going to become real with Dreamfall...

(nice preview Christina )
Old 05-18-2004, 05:34 AM   #6
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

So it doesn't matter what do u do in cynematic cuquenses? And if u do nothing?. Anyway, I'll wait for someone to play it first.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Of course it sounds great, but one thing I'm a tiny bit worried about is this:

"The camera system in the game will be pre-scripted to give the best possible angles during any given moment of gameplay"

I was really hoping for complete freedom with this game, and while this sounds like it might be better then mostly fixed camera angles like in BS3, I would much prefer the camera to be fully under the player's control. They still have about a year and a half of development time, so it's always possible that they might come up with something different, bit either ways it's not a big deal, the rest of the game is sounding fantastic.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 AM   #8
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I don't see a problem at all with a fixed camera. All traditional adventures to date have had a fixed camera, and as long as they get the interface right it really shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:30 AM   #9
Puts the 'e' in Mark

It's funny you say that. What do you mean with "fully under the player's control"? If you mean like GK3, that won't work with the interface Funcom has in mind for Dreamfall. If you're talking about having to constantly adjust the camera in a way similar to an RTS, that's just a major nuisance and not fitting to a character-based game. An action/adventure "ass-cam" would also be far from ideal, as it doesn't bring out the character in a way that's needed in an adventure game. I really can't think of any other good option besides using pre-scripted angles (with some panning and dolly shots, obviously).

By the way, Ragnar said they'll be applying the basic "don't cross the imaginary line" rule from cinematography (I forgot the official term) to minimize confusion when the game cuts to another view. Hopefully they'll look at some of the complaints about this from BS3.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #10
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
By the way, Ragnar said they'll be applying the basic "don't cross the imaginary line" rule from cinematography (I forgot the official term) to minimize confusion when the game cuts to another view. Hopefully they'll look at some of the complaints about this from BS3.
The 180-degree rule. You draw a line between the two members of a conversation and never let the camera physically cross the line when cutting back and forth.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:41 AM   #11
Babbling as Usual

Was anyone reminded of the Quest for Glory series by this quote?

Quote:
Over the course of the game, you will have the opportunity to play three different characters: The new main character Zoë; April, the beloved heroine from the first game; and the mysterious warrior Kian. Each character comes with their own specific strengths and weaknesses. For example, when you are playing Zoë, it may be in your best interest to try and avoid any type of combat situation because she doesn't really have any fighting skills. Whereas in the case of the character of Kian, fighting may be the better option because he is well versed in combat skills.
Seemed quite analogous to the puzzling in the QFG series: diplomocy, puzzle-solving, or brute force.

Though it seems they might be split up a la Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #12
Dr Uberman

Will be the best adventure since TLJ. No doubt.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:09 AM   #13
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
"Here is an aspect of why we like to call this action-adventure. Try to open the door. In a normal adventure game you would have to find an item, you know a discarded bone or a pipe or something. You know what we are going to do though? We're just going to kick the damn door in." – Ragnar Tornquist

FULL THROTTLE!!!
I had the exact same thought when I read that, which isn't a surprise considering it's the only adventure game in which you kick in a door (at least the only one I've played).
Thanks for the preview! I'm already hungry for more.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #14
guybrush_guy

yep, i thought of the same thing, i realy do think this game is going to kick ass, the question is:

how well is it going to sell? i'm goig to buy it the day it comes out

Old 05-18-2004, 10:19 AM   #15
Mostly absent

Well, it depends on marketing (among other things), but I definitely believe that it has a good chance to outsell all other AGs on the market. But it's only speculation of course.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #16
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I wonder who already hates this game?

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 05-18-2004, 10:42 AM   #17

A quick look at a certain thread in the Adventure forum will suffice, I'm sure...
Old 05-18-2004, 11:17 AM   #18
Fum
Indegan Peningald

What kind of camera system I'd really like is a first person one, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. If it has to be third person, I'd want some kind of camera that follows the player wherever he/she wants to go. Not like an 'ass cam', something more like splinters cells setup would be perfect. But as I said this is all a minor detail, the rest of the game is looking amazing.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #19
guybrush_guy

i cant find the words on how much i want this game so i'd figure i'd suplament my fealing with this link

click me, you know you want to!

Old 05-18-2004, 11:56 AM   #20
Mostly absent

Very well said!