You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Jack the Ripper review?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default Jack the Ripper review?

What did people think of Evan's review? I haven't played the game, nor was I following it much, but it seemed for a little bit there was some publisher generated hype about it...

One thing that I thought was kinda hilarious was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper review
...on Day 11, you tell the police sergeant that you know where Jack the Ripper is going to strike tonight. His response is a mocking “Get a picture of him for me tonight!” Which is fine. So you go through the motions of Night 11, and do get said picture of Jack. You’ll be tempted at the start of Day 12 to run back to the police with your photograph of the city’s most prominent murderer, right? But the sergeant just keeps saying “Get a picture of him for me tonight!” I was completely dumbfounded until I found out that you must talk to your editor and show him the picture first in order to “trigger” the police sergeant into Day 12 mode.
Eep! That is really terrible. Its sort of ridiculous and unforgivable that adventure games are doing this still. If this sort of thing happened in any other type of game to that degree, say in a game that was reviewed in magazines around the globe, it would get so destroyed. I think in the review Evan justified his low score. I'm not interested in playing it now.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-18-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
What did people think of Evan's review? I haven't played the game, nor was I following it much, but it seemed for a little bit there was some publisher generated hype about it...

One thing that I thought was kinda hilarious wasEep! That is really terrible. Its sort of ridiculous and unforgivable that adventure games are doing this still. If this sort of thing happened in any other type of game to that degree, say in a game that was reviewed in magazines around the globe, it would get so destroyed. I think in the review Evan justified his low score. I'm not interested in playing it now.
See the "Jack the Ripper" thread in Adventure Games forum for my opinion... Actually, now that more time has passed and I've thought about it more, I think I'd give it 3.0 not 3.6-3.9 as I said in the other thread.
Mostly because of the bugs and lack of puzzles.

As for that part you quoted, this was again an exaggeration as I see it. I didn't notice that kind of thing, except in maybe 2 occasions. Of course, it could be because I did everything "in the right order", but I don't think so.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:34 AM   #3

Default I have to know the ending

I hate to do this to Evan, but now I HAVE to know the ending. Feel free to use spoiler tags, but I'm pretty sure that after that review no one here will buy this game. I will understand if you don't want to relive the experience.

Patrick
Old 02-18-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by closeyourmind
I hate to do this to Evan, but now I HAVE to know the ending. Feel free to use spoiler tags, but I'm pretty sure that after that review no one here will buy this game. I will understand if you don't want to relive the experience.

Patrick
Spoiler:
Jack did it
Old 02-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Bearly Here

Tabacco has it, That is what the game reveals
Old 02-18-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by closeyourmind

Patrick
Joke-answers aside, I'm also really intrigued. I'm not going to play this game in 1 million trillion years, so can't you just spoil it for us Curious Georges?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
Umbilicus Mundi

Ending (last minute of gameplay + cutscene) spoiled
Spoiler:
You run after Jack into an alley (for lack of a more appropriate word). You can't go forward but when you turn around you see jack running towards you. At this moment, the game doesn't let you do anything but turn around, although you were given a weapon. When Jack has run past you you can follow him and will arrive at a harbor. Again you can't do anything and then a crow flies over your head.
Now the ending cut-scene begins. Don't remember exact details, but it showed a newspaper with a photo in the front page where the main character gives flowers to the female singer character and the articles title is "something Broadway something" (in the game the singer wanted to go to broadway). Then it zooms out, showing Jack holding the newspaper. Jack laughs and says "Nevermore!" in an ominous voice. (I'd put a smily here, but it's so bad it's not funny)
The length of that cutscene is probably 10-15 seconds, maybe 20.

Then again an ending reveal Jacks identity would have been lame IMHO, but they should have made a better one.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #8

Default The review.

Well, I had hoped that this game will be good, but after reading this review, I am convinced that I don't want to play it.

One reason why is because I looked at the spoiler of the ending that Erkki posted in his reply. It looked like a very bad ending.

Man, I am so pissed off about this . I guess I'll go back to playing Deus Ex.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:25 PM   #9
Retirement is stupid

Since Erkki has lifted the burden of me having to relive the ending, let me elaborate a bit on why it's so frustrating:

Spoiler:
The game poses an interesting question: is this the real Jack the Ripper, resurfacing in New York? Or is this a copycat? I actually was interested in finding out the answer. The ending does not even answer this question; it is the ultimate cop-out. There's no point in asking a what-if question if you don't follow through on it. I was positive, when the game ended, that I had messed up and found the "bad" ending...then the press walkthrough let me know that there is only that ending. So after 12 days, no questions about Jack's identity are answered, and you never really catch him. Maybe they're planning a sequel, but it's just a terrible way to end the game.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 02-18-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Liver of Life

That was stinging. Really.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
merely human

No, that was Evan. Really.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-19-2004, 02:51 AM   #12
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Spoiler:
The game poses an interesting question: is this the real Jack the Ripper, resurfacing in New York? Or is this a copycat? I actually was interested in finding out the answer.
Spoiler:
But the game does reveal the answer, sort of. The handwriting of the signature from the London letter and the letters the main character (forgot his name) received from 'jack' are the same.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:37 PM   #13
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Spoiler:
But the game does reveal the answer, sort of. The handwriting of the signature from the London letter and the letters the main character (forgot his name) received from 'jack' are the same.
Spoiler:
So the main character is supposed to be Jack?

EDIT: It has come to my attention that what I posted here up there is unfounded drivel. I need reading lessons

Last edited by Zygomaticus; 02-19-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #14
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Spoiler:
erm, no. he said "the letters the main character received from Jack... not "the letters the main character wrote." reading lessons, man ¬ ¬

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #15
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Spoiler:
erm, no. he said "the letters the main character received from Jack... not "the letters the main character wrote." reading lessons, man ¬ ¬
A thousand apologies to you, and me. In my excitement, I misread.

I actually think that'd be a pretty good ending, although maybe not for a game as much as it would for a movie or a novel.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:23 PM   #16
Bearly Here

Well I liked Evan's review. First it was funny. More importantly it was a good read.

I like any review that is well written, even if I disagree with any or even all of it. Great that there are many different perspectives available on any given game. Mix them all up and you get a pretty good idea of all the pros and cons on a game.

It is also the hardest thing to write a review of a game we thought we would enjoy and then find out after playing it - how wrong we could be. Been there. It is the worst part of reviewing games. Not only do you have to write about something you didn;t like - you have to see it through to the bitter end, because it's your assignment.