You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Font size in posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid View Post
Last game I finished: The Black Mirror. I give it 4 stars out of 6. The graphics were beautiful. The atmosphere was very exciting. It drew me into the game. I had to use a walkthrough at some places where I was stuck. I don't remember anything about the music, which is not a good sign. Sound effects were alright. They did a good job of amplying the atmosphere. Some of the puzzles were difficult. The ending was very disappointning and the story was interesting up until it drowned in absurdity in the last chapter where it converted into a silly supernatural ghost story.
Can you please please use normal text Analog Kid? You're shouting!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

No. What do you define as normal? The same font size and font color as everyone else uses? In that case would you also like me to dress in the same clothes as everyone else wears? I THOUGHT SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET WAS DEFINED AS WHEN YOU WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERS. As long as there are no official rules for what font color and font size everyone should write in, I will write in the color and size that looks best to my eyes, thank you.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Super Moderator

While we don't have hard and fast rules, the vast majority of people here do tend to just use black font at a size 2. The different type faces are no problem but a post composed entirely of large, differently colored and sometimes bolded text can be very hard on the eyes as it sticks out glaringly from the other posts.

We love and encourage diversity on here through our opinions on games, not necessarily through the fonts we use.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I don't have a problem with different coloured text, but I agree that a larger font size looks a bit like shouting. I get a bit of a head ache reading it.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 01-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I don't have a problem with different coloured text, but I agree that a larger font size looks a bit like shouting. I get a bit of a head ache reading it.
And I get a pain in my eyes from reading everyone else's tiny microscopic font. In instant messenging on MSN and Yahoo I always write with a large coloured font and nobody has ever complained. I don't see a reason why everyone on a forum has to write with the same tiny boring black font.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
say yes when nobody asked

Back in the olden days, when I was still in school (8th grade or someting) I also decided I wanted to do something "different", like writing my essay with a yellow pen. Needless to say, my teacher wasn't too happy about it. On the whole, I think it would be too messy if everybody had "their own" style/font/fontsize/color. So in my opinion just sticking to whatever everyone else is doing works just fine.

On topic: the last game I finished was "Who wants to be a millionaire" actually, however the last adventure game I finished was Tunguska. No walkthrough on this one, and as for rating, I think there is enough about that in other threads around here.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid View Post
And I get a pain in my eyes from reading everyone else's tiny microscopic font. In instant messenging on MSN and Yahoo I always write with a large coloured font and nobody has ever complained. I don't see a reason why everyone on a forum has to write with the same tiny boring black font.
In Firefox (don't know about the other ones) I can increase or decrease text size. But I can't decrease one bit without decreasing the others..
Use a different font and write with colour, okay, but please decrease your text.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Please, Analog Kid, decrease your font size and either choose color or bold, not both. This is not instant messaging. This is a forum where we discuss games (and not focus on creative expression) and as such, we try to conform with our text more. It is bothering some people. There's nothing wrong with some color, some bold, an occasional large word but having an entire post as such is kind of jarring. You do have the option to increase text size in many browsers and if the small font of others is difficult to read, use that option (In both Firefox and IE, it is under View > Text Size).

Last edited by Melanie68; 01-15-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Sheesh! He's NOT shouting. He's using a nice civilized colour and a nice civilized font. Where's the harm, for pete's sake...

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with shouting from time to time.

And people who get a headache reading Analog Kid's text, should be warned that playing adventure games with text and subtitles in all different sizes and colours might actually kill them. Go see a doctor!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with shouting from time to time.
There is when multiple people ask you to stop.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Super Moderator

I moved these posts from their original thread (Last game you finished?) to keep that one on topic.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Sheesh! He's NOT shouting. He's using a nice civilized colour and a nice civilized font. Where's the harm, for pete's sake...
Well sorry, to me using big red letters is annoying and offensive. Luckily I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #13
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Well sorry, to me using big red letters is annoying and offensive.
Sheesh! He uses a font size *two*! Just like you and me. He only started using a different font size after you attacked him and said he was shouting when he was not. So you find the colour magenta offensive?

Quote:
Luckily I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Actually, you are. Panthera doesn't mind the colour and different font, she only objects to font size number two.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
There is when multiple people ask you to stop.
I'm sure both of us can think of many situations where shouting is appropriate.

But that wasn't the point of my post. Although two people posted that they find Analog Kid's posting style irritating, that's not in any way a majority. The point was that I wanted to make it clear there are others, like me, who don't mind his style at all. In fact, I rather like it when idiosyncratic posts stand out.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
I'm sure both of us can think of many situations where shouting is appropriate.

But that wasn't the point of my post. Although two people posted that they find Analog Kid's posting style irritating, that's not in any way a majority. The point was that I wanted to make it clear there are others, like me, who don't mind his style at all. In fact, I rather like it when idiosyncratic posts stand out.
Fortunately, a majority vote is not required. In this case, one user and a mod is more than enough. As much as I know you'd love to argue about this, I'm closing this thread.