You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Gabriel Knight 2 review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #41

The R's remind me of another thing...

I had trouble learning how to pronounce the 'r' sound in English, but in Spanish it was no problem... I still find it strange that people have problems pronouncing the rolling R sound in Spanish ("rr").
Old 01-31-2004, 12:45 PM   #42

Well, I've just finished the game and I must disagree with the review. The game is just average, nothing more than that.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:48 PM   #43
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardi
Well, I've just finished the game and I must disagree with the review. The game is just average, nothing more than that.
Define 'average'. I mean, I didn't like the acting but the story, dialogues and puzzles were great. Too bad acting is very important in FMV games. I could've lived with mediocre voiceacting, considering the mentioned pro's of the game, but I found it hard to get into the game at the beginning.

I'd rate this game 3,5 stars out of 5, which is 'good' in my book. Defenitely better than average, IMHO.

So what did and did you not like?

--Erwin
Old 01-31-2004, 04:47 PM   #44

Fair enough, here's why:

1) Interface problems. Several times I could not immediatly figure out what to do next because I was not fully aware of my surroudings, even though the character I was controlling was. This happened several times in the game, where you had to click "EXIT" on a particular side of the screen to realize there was more of the place you were, even though that would be obvious to your character. This was by far my biggest gripe.

2) Being able to do things for no immediate purpose whatsoever. I hate when I am able to get objects/buy things/visit places in adventure games because "they are there" even though I have no reason to do so. On certain points in the game I could get objects without any reason, even though their usefulness would be evident later. The way I see it, no game should allow you to get an object that is not overall useful in any given situation until it becomes evident you need it.

3) The whole timed sequence at the ending. Adventure games should really, really avoid action sequences, because none ever get them right and nearly all of them have this annoying tendency of using them near or at the ending.

4) The plot was ok, even though it was obvious from chapter 3 who the bad guys were and what was going to happen to Gabriel. However, both stories (Grace/Gabriel) connected only loosely. The whole missing opera/werewolf relation was really thin, breaking the suspension of disbelief. Why would they have to find a lost opera and wait for it to be performed before hunting down the Black Wolf?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:14 AM   #45

I think Jane Jensen keeps getting better. Kings Quest VI was pretty cool, GK1 which was awesome, GK2 which was even better, then GK3 which is IMO the greastest adventure game ever made. I can't wait for Project Jane-J.