You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Gabriel Knight 2 review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 01:58 AM   #21

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
For whatever reason, the lines look more defined in those screenshots.
You appear to be correct. I just made a screenshot of my own from a big sized in-game movie. While the lines appear to be invisible, they become quite obvious when zooming in or resizing the image to a smaller format.

Nice fun-fact.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:59 AM   #22
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina
Also, I don't agree at all that the music is of poor quality. It's alright to think that the Opera wasn't excellent because, well, it is supposed to be Wagner. But given the fact that this is a computer game with budget and time restraints I think they pulled it off as well as they could.
Why not just use a *real* Wagner opera if they need to have one? I never understood why they needed to have a new one.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-24-2004, 09:12 AM   #23
Under pressure.

Quote:
But given the fact that this is a computer game with budget and time restraints I think they pulled it off as well as they could.
Budget and time restraints are no excuses. Reviewers don't look at budget and time restraints when reviewing a game. (or movie)

You can, however, compare this FMV game with other FMV games. And comparing it brings me to the conclusion that it's one of the few good FMV games around, but I've also seen better. Especially when looking at the acting.

--Erwin
Old 01-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #24
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Why not just use a *real* Wagner opera if they need to have one? I never understood why they needed to have a new one.
I think it's because, first of all, it was supposed to be a lost opera and furthermore it needed to have an appropriate theme -- werewolves, metamorphosis, whatever. I'm no Wagner scholar, but did any of the great W's operas have such thematic components?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #25
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster
I think it's because, first of all, it was supposed to be a lost opera and furthermore it needed to have an appropriate theme -- werewolves, metamorphosis, whatever. I'm no Wagner scholar, but did any of the great W's operas have such thematic components?
There were no more need for it to be a lost opera than to have a special puzzle where Grace goes to find it. I'm sure JJ could have made another one. And no, I don't think there were a Wagner werewolf opera. I still don't know why the opera would have to be about werewolves to bring forward werewolf behaviour.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #26
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I still don't know why the opera would have to be about werewolves to bring forward werewolf behaviour.
Because it's more (melo)dramatic, theatrical and camp that way?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #27
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I don't agree with you about the acting. Everything was excellent, except for two minor roles - the biologist and the club receptionist. Throughout the whole game I felt that Dean Erickson is Gabriel Knight, and smae goes for the others, especially Peter Lucas(von Glower).In my humble opinion, the opera did fit the game well, as did the rest of the soundtrack. I personally like GK3's soundtrack more though.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #28

The GK3 soundtrack is awesome.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #29
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
I don't agree with you about the acting. Everything was excellent, except for two minor roles - the biologist and the club receptionist. Throughout the whole game I felt that Dean Erickson is Gabriel Knight, and smae goes for the others, especially Peter Lucas(von Glower).In my humble opinion, the opera did fit the game well, as did the rest of the soundtrack. I personally like GK3's soundtrack more though.
Interesting... Well, there's no point in arguing ones taste, but I'm very curious which FMV games you've played next to GK2. And did you like those or not?

Oh and Peter Lucas is one of the better actors in GK2, I agree with that.

--Erwin
Old 01-24-2004, 10:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Budget and time restraints are no excuses. Reviewers don't look at budget and time restraints when reviewing a game. (or movie)

You can, however, compare this FMV game with other FMV games. And comparing it brings me to the conclusion that it's one of the few good FMV games around, but I've also seen better. Especially when looking at the acting.

--Erwin
I look at it this way - an Opera needed to be created because the plot called for it and it had to be done with, at best, a C movie budget. All things considered they came up with the best thing they could with what they had to work with. And I personally don't think the Opera is that bad anyways.

And yes, I have played other FMV games. In fact I go out of my way to obtain them and have played, I would guess, 75% of all FMV games released. I would rank GK2 and Pandora Directive in a tie for best FMV game of all time.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:31 PM   #31

I think the best acting in any FMV adventure would most likely be The X-Files game. Pretty much everyone who acted in the game could also probably have acted on the TV Show.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
I think the best acting in any FMV adventure would most likely be The X-Files game. Pretty much everyone who acted in the game could also probably have acted on the TV Show.
are you talking about main character? because all the other people are in the tv show, no one in gk2 is a succesfull actor and they did remarkebly well, I saw the person who played grace in a kleenex or tampon commercial i forget :-P.

The only thing I didn't like was the very low quality music, the music is good but the recording quality is horrible, but its technology what you gonna do. Yeah and the interlaced lines peeved me off sometimes too, man if they made a gk4 in dvd full motion video *drooool.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:09 AM   #33
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I have not played any other FMV games, but compared to movies I think that acting in GK2 is pretty good.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82
are you talking about main character? because all the other people are in the tv show, no one in gk2 is a succesfull actor and they did remarkebly well, I saw the person who played grace in a kleenex or tampon commercial i forget :-P.
Nah, not the people who are in the show.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #35

Guys, I am playing through this game now and I was wondering if it has any subtitles like Sins of the Fathers had. I can understand English just fine, but I enjoy reading what the characters are saying for the sake of not missing out a particular word or making sure I read everything right.

At least as far as I have checked, there are no subtitles or any particular related options in the menus.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
In my humble opinion,
bwahahahahahaha!!!

ahem.

I remember enjoying the acting in GK2 very much. Of course, I hadn't played GK1 at that point, so i had nothing to compare it to. I wasn't impressed with Joanne Takahishi as Grace, although maybe that had to do with the way her character was written than Joanne herself. It seemed like she was told to keep a permenant scowl on her face the entire time. I liked the scenes where she lowered her guard. That exchange when she gives the flowers to Gerde was very well done.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardi
Guys, I am playing through this game now and I was wondering if it has any subtitles like Sins of the Fathers had. I can understand English just fine, but I enjoy reading what the characters are saying for the sake of not missing out a particular word or making sure I read everything right.

At least as far as I have checked, there are no subtitles or any particular related options in the menus.
Unfortunately there is no subtitle option. However, if you miss a part of the conversation you can replay Gabe's audio tapes of them.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina
I would rank GK2 and Pandora Directive in a tie for best FMV game of all time.
=-MINOR SPOILERS PRESENT=-

Pandora Directive was excellent... I could never quite beat it, but enjoyed it very much (although it's a pain to run on my Windows XP machine... Argh!).

Had a wonderful film noir style to it and pretty good acting.

GK 2's acting was mixed. I didn't mind the portrayal of Gabriel, but Grace seemed too old. I mean, she's supposed to be a reserved person, but her portrayals in GK 1 & GK 3 have a bit more spunk to them (her smart-ass retorts to Gabe, for instance).

Yeah, the recording quality of GK2's music hurt it for me... Although one of my favorite pieces of music out of the GK series is the orchestra-hit heavy tune played when Gabriel discovers a werewolf in the hunting lodge.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
BTW, it's Schattenjäger, not Schaatenjager. What's up with you Americans and speaking German? :eek:
Sorry... I am 1/3 German by heritage, but am an American who was raised bilingual (English & Spanish). I took German for a month at college, but dropped out (of the class, not out of college) because I found it really hard to learn.

I am currently teaching myself some Japanese and am finding that to make a lot more sense than German for some reason... I found a lot of German words to be intimidating (all I remember is "drei und dreizig" [33] [probably mispelled dreizig]).
Old 01-27-2004, 01:26 PM   #40
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshrill
Sorry... I am 1/3 German by heritage, but am an American who was raised bilingual (English & Spanish). I took German for a month at college, but dropped out (of the class, not out of college) because I found it really hard to learn.

I am currently teaching myself some Japanese and am finding that to make a lot more sense than German for some reason... I found a lot of German words to be intimidating (all I remember is "drei und dreizig" [33] [probably mispelled dreizig]).
Hehe, you're not the only one. Even though we Dutch folk speak a language that sounds almost the same (to the untrained ear, hehe) I do too find the German language sound a bit harsh/unfriendly. I think partly because of the way you have to pronounce the R's.

--Erwin