You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Old games in a new world

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2004, 12:52 AM   #1

Default Old games in a new world

I´m enjoying the flashback friday reviews. Even though I consider myself something of an old adventure gamer there are still a lot of classic games I have yet to try. It would be helpfull if some advice could be given about how, or even if, the reviewer got the game up and running on a newer system. Some games I want to run apear to be imposible to get to work under XP.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Use ScummVM for most Lucasarts game (and several Revolution games). I don't know about others, but something called DOSbox gets mentioned a lot.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:46 AM   #3

ScummVM is great and works like a charm for the games it´s designed for. Theres also a similar program for the older Sierra games. Haven´t played around enough with DOSbox to be a total expert, but it tends to turn my machine in to an older computer, a 386 I quess. So there are still games that sort of fall outside of these categories. Like newer "classic" Sierra games, the little big adventure games or even the feeble files, wich I´m having trouble getting up and running.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:49 PM   #4

Don't forget compatability mode. Quandary has a small section on getting old games to work in XP.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
Retirement is stupid

I've had a lot of thoughts about implementing a really good, comprehensive technical help database into our site. It would take a lot of help and contribution from our forumers...and I'm not about to think about it during tax season. But I think this is a project we'll pursue in greater depth this summer.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."