You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Sierra Compilations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default Sierra Compilations

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1183

Is this news item an April Fools joke? Because if it is, I'm going to be really pissed off. It looks to be a joke, though, as the link in the news item points to this site (http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/monthly.html).

I hate April Fools and everyone who recognizes the date. I'm not amused in the slightest bit.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Nah i'm sure it's a real news story
Old 04-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

To be honest, you'd have to be a fool to believe it .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

But the compilations are actually plausible. It's not crazy to believe they'd actually be released (except for announcing on April 1st of course). It's like you didn't even try to come up with something crazy and make people fall for it.

Boooooo...
Old 04-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

It links to a calendar, people. You have only yourselves to blame if you fall for it.

And those who noted that it's plausible are getting the point while miraculously failing to understanding it entirely.

And please, someone tell me the last time any April Fool's joke was actually "funny". The point is to fool people.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I'd recommend not reading anything on April fools, besides noone gets fooled anymore, April fools is so predictable.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

Exactly. Unless the story is plausible.

Now, I agree it wouldn't have been funny if the item didn't reveal it was a joke. But it did, so there.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
Jack Bauer loves you

It's not like I miraculously failed to understand it, I just thought it was lame. Try harder next year!
Old 04-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
Hopeful skeptic

Hey, at least I'm only making a joke of it for a day. Vivendi is already having a year long laugh at everyone's expense.

Incidentally, I'll pull the item entirely in a few hours, since I don't want the date thing to REALLY confuse people after the 1st.

And artwking, care to link to any AF gags that are even remotely interesting this year? Anyone? As Dasilva said, no one really falls for anything anymore.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
Jack Bauer loves you

I like the World of Starcraft one at Gamespot. And the Google Romance one that Tabacco posted was funny.

There are no earth-shattering ones that I can think of. But the day is young.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I'm sorry but I just don't see the significance of April 1st and why people insist on posting stupid fake news items. It's April 1st. So what? Get over it. Today should be no different than any other day.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Jack Bauer loves you

It should be Video Game Giveaway Day instead. Just like any other day.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

Legolas, I actually agree with you. I hate practical jokes as a rule, and find AF Day to be pretty idiotic. That's why I kept the gag small and self-contained.

Still, I don't see why Vivendi and Gamespot should get continual free passes for jerking people around, and I'm getting slammed for making a joke of it.

Adventure gamers, man... tough room!

(I added a note to the news items, so no one else's sensibilities will suffer until I pull it. )
Old 04-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I was actually fooled by Gamespots' Starcraft thing, after finishing reading the article and getting majorly excitted I realized it was 1st of april.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Hey, at least I'm only making a joke of it for a day. Vivendi is already having a year long laugh at everyone's expense.

Sorry everyone's bummed about it, but this joke actually made my day. (And I've been on vacation and away from the internet for a week so I wasn't aware that it was coming, OR that today was April 1. )
Old 04-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
Dungeon Master

Aw man, you should have posted Gamespot's "news" about the compilations (just worded differently; no revealing links or such), and then after people started saying "It's so obviously a joke", you could laugh at them that they believed when Gamespot was running it.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

You mean bastards....I actually believed it until I read the last few lines and clicked the link. I can't believe I forgot today was April 1st......
Old 04-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #18
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
You mean bastards....I actually believed it until I read the last few lines and clicked the link. I can't believe I forgot today was April 1st......
You know, THIS post made MY day. This was exactly the response I was hoping for... reading through with hopes rising, only to get to the end and slam your fist down and shout "Oh, you bastard!"
Old 04-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #19
Jack Bauer loves you

Well, it does make me smile that at least a few people are falling for it even if I thought it was lame.

Can't fool me, though!
Old 04-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #20
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
You know, THIS post made MY day. This was exactly the response I was hoping for... reading through with hopes rising, only to get to the end and slam your fist down and shout "Oh, you bastard!"
Well I read it early and didn't even click in that today was April 1st. I didn't get much sleep yesterday so to me I must have assumed it was sitll March 31st That'll teach me to stay up late....