You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Sierra Compilations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #21
Life and times of...

I still don't know what you're talking about
Old 04-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #22
Hopeful skeptic

I ran a fake news item about the legendary (and likely mythical) Sierra compilations being confirmed.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #23
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I ran a fake news item about the legendary (and likely mythical) Sierra compilations being confirmed.
I thought those were real UNTIL I clicked on the "official site link" that popped over to the calendar. LOL. April Fools!!

I love April Fools.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #24
Hopeful skeptic

Well, supposedly the compilations ARE real, of course. The actual story itself was entirely true... except for the part about Vivendi confirming it publicly. Amazon does list them, Gamespot did "confirm" it anonymously, etc. Meanwhile, these mystery compilations slipped back to next year (again), and Vivendi has specifically given us a "no comment" when asked directly whether these things exist or not.

So... yeah. I was making a joke of the joke these compilations have already become.

Anyway, for the sake of posterity, here's the "news" item from yesterday. The disclaimer at the end was not there originally, but was put there to appease those who managed to get ticked off at having 10 seconds of renewed hope dashed again.

------------

Old school fans of Sierra adventures can rejoice today in the official confirmation of the long-rumoured release of four classic compilations.

Following their initial appearance for preorder on Amazon, the budget-priced release of [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYFPKG//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Quest[/url], [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYH89M//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Quest[/url], [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYIP8A//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Suit Larry[/url], and [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYFPKQ//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Quest[/url] bundles have seen several slipped release dates, creating doubt about their legitimacy in the adventure community. Further fueling the fire was the word of an anonymous Gamespot source, who claimed the collections are indeed in production, but failed to provide any specific information. Adventure Gamers has been trying unsuccessfully to get verification from Vivendi, and with no further details and the release dates slipping again to the end of '06, it looked as though the compilations had slipped back into the realm of speculation.

At long last, however, Vivendi has officially announced the production of the compilations, citing the difficulties in creating technical compatibility with modern computers for the lengthy delay. According to the press release, Vivendi claims that "We're as eager to bring these beloved series back into the limelight as the loyal fans are to play them, but the added investment of time will benefit everyone when the games run flawlessly on Windows XP."

For more information about today's news, be sure to check out the official announcement.

[Note: For the non-link clickers out there, this is indeed just an April Fool's joke. Unfortunately, the compilations will continue to be a running farce long after today.]
Old 04-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #25
Life and times of...

Thanks! I was dying to read it (though then I could've been one of those who this is addressed to )

Heh, I tried to look for it yesterday, but couldn't even find it Was it clearly visible on the main page?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #26
Super Moderator

As visible as any other news item.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #27
Life and times of...

I guess my eye is just too untrained then...
Old 04-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #28
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Anyway, for the sake of posterity, here's the "news" item from yesterday. The disclaimer at the end was not there originally, but was put there to appease those who managed to get ticked off at having 10 seconds of renewed hope dashed again. ]
I'm glad it was there by the time I read it....hehe
Old 04-03-2006, 02:41 AM   #29
is not wierd

That's actually pretty funny. I didn't see it the day of so I obviously never fell for it, though.

I actually really like the Final Fantasy TenSpot feature/joke at Gamespot.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #30
recovering AG addict

The same story ran in the april issue of PCGameplay (a Belgian / Dutch magazine). Since the story is plausible, I first thought it was real. However, although they didn't intend it to be an april fools joke, they probably just got this somewhere from the net, so not providing new information (no relaese date etc).

Their april fools joke was cool: The anounced that Uwe Boll was going to do a Battle for Middle earth movie, AKA the 4rth Lord of the Rings movie, due to a maze in the contract license for the game Battle for Middle earth.

Jaap

Max: Right! We'll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That's spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...
Old 04-04-2006, 02:46 AM   #31
More slaw!!!

Although I missed it, I want to say that I think it was a stunning idea for an April Fools joke! Believable, and let patently absurd.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #32

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

The best April Fool's article was done by Wizards of the Coast, actually, when they announced their new d20 RPG.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #33
Life and times of...

Haha, yeah... WotC rules!

They had a rather funny thing in magicthegathering.com about a global Grand Prix -tournament. It was an obvious joke, but it was quite funny, and quite big too. Well done. ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/globalprix06/welcome for anyone interested, though I'm not sure if you need to understand Magic or not to get the best of it...)

Though the earlier years they've been ingenious.

(Edit): Maybe this should've been in the April fools thread? Oh well, I'm sure a mod will do their thing if there's something to do the thing in.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #34
Hopeful skeptic

Nah, there's not much point moving anything. The original thread has pretty much run its course, unless someone wants to get ticked off in hindsight. But that would just be weird.

I dunno, though. Personally I find the My Little Pony thing to be lame. I mean, it's cute, but as an AF joke it's just silly.