You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Another Code review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Another Code review

Excellent stuff Marek.

I agree with absolutely everything that you said in the review, it is clearly the best adventure that I too have played this year.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Epinionated.

I'll save my judgment for my JA+ review.

But good to know it isn't going unnoticed. It's truly superb.

Dammit. I wasn't meant to say that.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I'll save my judgment for my JA+ review.

But good to know it isn't going unnoticed. It's truly superb.

Dammit. I wasn't meant to say that.
Hmm... since you're already sold on Another Code, why save your judgement for the JA+ review? Admit it! Marek wrote a superb review of a superb title!

You know, NDS has been given a very kiddish image all this while, with their popular releases such as mario ds and bomberman ds. But with titles like Nintendogs (which frankly entices more to adults than kids) as well as Electroplankton, and now Another Code, it makes me wonder what kind of audience NDS is really targetting. Oh well, shall go think about that later on.

Now I'm only hope that the local suppliers would ship in the US release of Another Code, so that I can *finally* get a second game for NDS!
Old 09-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #4
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Where can I get a DS cheap? Wan´t it so baaad!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Epinionated.

I reviewed Electroplankton at JA+ recently.

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews...oplankton.shtm

Great title.

I can't read Marek's review as I don't want to affect my own writing with anything I agree with on his and create something similar. But I WILL read it on completing my own! That's a promise!

By the way, you DO know that you can use international titles on the DS? There's no region coding except between multiplayer international editions. The only thing that'd hold you back is cost.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 AM   #6
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Glad you're reviewing this for JA+. Another Code is a title that deserves its share of attention from the adventure community. I hope it doesn't get ignored because it's not on the PC...

Which version of Electroplankton did you review by the way? Is that the Japanese import, or a US review copy? I've played a demo of Beatnes ad nauseum, and it's freaking awesome. It is a desceptively simple work of genius.

As for what audience the DS is targeting, the answer given by Nintendo has consistently been "everyone" and so far it looks like they're succeeding in that. Games like Another Code, Nintendogs and Electroplankton have a universal appeal. Meanwhile, games like Advance Wars (hardcore strategy gaming) and something like Brain Training (extremely light casual gaming) seem to be able to both be succesful and co-exist just fine. The scope of the DS games library is quite impressive.

It's also a huge opportunity for adventure gaming. (All you developers out there, please try to break through Nintendo's notoriously high walls and exploit this opportunity!)
Old 09-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
Epinionated.

I'm with you all the way on this one. Games like Another Code provide great narrative entertainment on long journeys, or an alternative to books when travelling - or even when going to bed! I can see a lot of opportunity in the future for games like these and am looking forward to Lost In Blue with relish. The DS is the real everyman machine to the PSP's more hardcore aim of getting PS2/PS games into a portable format and its stylus and microphone make for some fantastic innovations - whether its blowing bubbles at a Nintendog or communicating with Plankton.

I reviewed the Japanese version of Electroplankton. I can't imagine there will be much difference in any international version, non of which have been confirmed as yet. The DS needs games like these, and Dai Gassou! Band Brothers (a other title of mine) if it is to suceed over here and be a companion, not a competition piece, to the PSP. Publishers need to look to originality on this format - the relative failiure of "traditional" titles like Splinter Cell compared to games made for it proves that.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Oh man, Splinter Cell was depressing. It was trying to be awesome and 3D and all that, but instead it played bad and looked ridiculous.

Is there any Japanese text in Electroplankton I should be worried about? Or can everything be understood intuitively? I'm thinking of getting the import.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:22 AM   #9

NDS is a great console for adventure gamers like us, with a few and more long adventure titles could be fantastic. (I want a Myst for DS).
AC take me Only five hours to finish u_u (I purpossely cut in two days..)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Is there any Japanese text in Electroplankton I should be worried about? Or can everything be understood intuitively? I'm thinking of getting the import.
you can play it, just a few try and wrong (only a few words in japanese)

ps:my english is terrible!
Old 09-04-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
Epinionated.

As Kaidite says, Electroplankton is easily playable because there's very little Japanese. Don't think you'll ever make sense of the beautifully illustrated guidebook though, but despite that it isn't needed. The (two) options are in English, the descriptive text for each game Japanese, but it's so visual there's no issues.

Why not read my review and find out more? Heheh.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Oh man, Splinter Cell was depressing. It was trying to be awesome and 3D and all that, but instead it played bad and looked ridiculous.
Seems like SC would have fared better on the PSP.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
Epinionated.

Nah, it's simply not suited to handhelds.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
merely human

I think it would be if handhelds had dual analog sticks. To be truthful I have no general interest in handhelds because most games for them tend to be arcade style (with few exceptions like Another Code) and not more 'deep' games that beckon me to linger. I'd love to play something like Splinter Cell or Fable on a handheld.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #14
Epinionated.

I've heard horrid things about the PSP nipple. Sounds like that Cronenberg film a few years ago - Existenz.

I still feel ill thinking about that fish platter.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #15
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I've heard horrid things about the PSP nipple. Sounds like that Cronenberg film a few years ago - Existenz.

I still feel ill thinking about that fish platter.
I still feel ill thinking about that god awful movie

Great review Marek - I'm starting to get interested in this DS thingumajig.

(and I'm thinking Nintendogs might be just the ticket to get the GF into gaming too )
Old 09-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #16

well, mario64DS can be played with the touch screen, in fact the box include a... ummm... thing, you put that thing on the finger (i put it in my thumb) and play it like a joystick.
DS touch screen is the best XD it can do anything XD
Old 09-05-2005, 08:05 AM   #17
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I think it would be if handhelds had dual analog sticks. To be truthful I have no general interest in handhelds because most games for them tend to be arcade style (with few exceptions like Another Code) and not more 'deep' games that beckon me to linger. I'd love to play something like Splinter Cell or Fable on a handheld.
Fable is "deep"?

Trep