You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Hype-o-Meter Update 08/23

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Hype-o-Meter Update 08/23

After a quiet summer (okay, let's face it - a quiet YEAR), it's finally time to gear up for a fall blitz of hot new adventure releases that will radically change the face of the Hype-o-Meter. In the coming month or two, fully half of the current games should graduate from hype to hard drive, making room for the next wave of fresh-faced hopefuls.

Saying "bon voyage" first is... well... VOYAGE, and news out of Germany this week made for some outrageous competition for the opening. Not only did the promising Keepsake secure itself a publisher and release date, but House of Tales announced its next adventure, Overclocked. There was also another new game announced, though its name eludes me at the moment. I think it has a "4" at the end of it, though. Hmm...

So without further adieus (what's with the lame French gags today?), let's see how the latest H-o-M list shakes out.

#1-2: Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall. Stop the presses! Dreamfall has fallen out of first place! That's right, we've finally washed our hands of it as the obvious action-adventure it clearly is... Wait, no. That can't be right... Oh, yeah - really it's just switched places with Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit for the few agonizing weeks before the release of Quantic Dream's now-ridiculously anticipated game. Look for the balance to be restored in the #1 slot in a few weeks' time.

#3: Myst V. Love it or hate it, Myst has hype coming out the wazoo. With the full game just around the corner and a playable demo just released, that buzz won't be dying down any time soon. For that it jumps up a spot, but can't quite supplant the leaders.

#4: Bone. The first episode in Telltale's Bone series looks to be shaping up nicely, even if its September release date sounds optimistic. With trailers and interviews and collector's cards to help pass the time, there's plenty to talk about in the meantime. Also leaps up a spot.

#5: Paradise. The only game losing ground in this update is the next title from Benoit Sokal and White Birds. We're no less excited about its eventual release, but February is a long way off, and the team has been pretty quiet. We figure quiet is a good thing for getting it done, but it doesn't do a lot for hype.

#6: Broken Sword 4. Yeah, that's the other game I was thinking of!! Indeed, the fourth part of the Broken Sword... um... trilogy is now official. I know, I KNOW we all got burned by BASS2 becoming vaporware right before our eyes (or, NOT right before our eyes, I guess), but BS4 comes with publisher backing from the get-go. Simple equation from Chinese fortune cookie say, "money in pocket mean game in hand". (Ha! Take THAT for political Asian correctness, Frogwares! Inside forum joke there; if you don't get it, just ACT offended and move right along.) In any case, look for BS4 to climb the charts when actual development begins in earnest. The announcement alone gets it a very respectable sixth place.

#7-10: 80 Days, Runaway 2, A Vampyre Story, Juniper Crescent - Sapphire Claw. No movement here. Sort of like the genre itself, really. Oh, stop it, I'm kidding!! All of them look great, and well-deserving of their H-o-M status, if not quite enough to leapfrog the titles above them.

So that's it for now. As always, promising looking games still didn't make the grade, but a new slot will be up for grabs shortly, and nothing is ever etched in stone. For anyone with complaints about the list, I only have one thing to say: Je ne parle pas l'anglais. (Or any other language, for that matter.)
Old 08-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Still no Keepsake on the HoM?!

*stomps feet*

()
Old 08-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
#3: Myst V.

#4: Bone.
I'm really struggling to hold back the tears on this one. Seriously though, overall a well judged list IMO. Nice one.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #4

Fahrenheit has single handily saved adventure games. Played the demo. Awesome.

However I think TLJ2 will be better. It'll have all the adventure game element's we love and some nice action stuff, which is needed nowerday's tbh.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
But it DID get its own link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
I'm really struggling to hold back the tears on this one.
You can console yourself with the fact that Bone is the only game on the list that can replace itself after release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blad3
Fahrenheit has single handily saved adventure games. Played the demo. Awesome.
No it hasn't, no it won't. And the demo is not particularly indicative of the rest of the game. #1 is high enough - no need to over-hype it beyond reasonable expectations.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
But it DID get its own link.
First time I read it I mistook that link for an actual spot on the list.

You were trying to pull a fast one, I know it...
Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Yeah, what's up with that?

Ok, seriously, I think it deserves a place on the list, as it's quite close to release and seems very nice. To me, it looks like a modern version of the Kyrandia games - the screens and info bring up that cozy fantasy-adventure feel. Kind of unique if you look at most of the other forthcoming adventures.

Ofcourse it's quite possible you've played or seen it and know something I don't, but to me it makes just as much sense to have Keepsake on the list as, say, Juniper Crescent or AVS. It would also, I guess, be encouraging for Wicked Studios to see AG hyped up about their first game.

That's what I think, anyway.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #8

Oh good - it's out.

Even more than the meter itself, I really enjoy reading Jack's write-up on why something is or is not on the list.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Not only did the promising Keepsake secure itself a publisher and release date,
Hey, that's great! And their website is kinda neat.

But... "Territories : EU, Russia, Aus/NZ, minus France/French spk" WHAAAAT?????
Old 09-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #10
Knights Templar

BASS2 becoming vaporware???? What do you mean? Do you know something we don't???
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
But... "Territories : EU, Russia, Aus/NZ, minus France/French spk" WHAAAAT?????
Maybe the French don't trust a group of Quebecois developers to get the language right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazsin
BASS2 becoming vaporware???? What do you mean? Do you know something we don't???
It's painful watching reality sink in. Revolution severely downsized after word of BASS2 leaked, which obviously had a direct bearing on the game's future. Essentially, they aren't producing games anymore; they're only responsible for concept, writing, and design stuff. I'm sure the ideas for BASS2 are ready and waiting, but if it ever gets made, it'll have to be someone else that actually makes it. Not Revolution.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #12
Knights Templar

Quote:
Maybe the French don't trust a group of Quebecois developers to get the language right.

It's painful watching reality sink in. Revolution severely downsized after word of BASS2 leaked, which obviously had a direct bearing on the game's future. Essentially, they aren't producing games anymore; they're only responsible for concept, writing, and design stuff. I'm sure the ideas for BASS2 are ready and waiting, but if it ever gets made, it'll have to be someone else that actually makes it. Not Revolution.
It does seem odd that they havent even mentioned it in over a year. I wish they would tell us one way or another because i am looking forward to Beneath a Steel Sky soooooooooooooo much
Old 09-07-2005, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Yeah, that make sense.

I guess...

Seriously, though, do you have any idea whether there are some plans to distribute it in France?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

I haven't heard anything, but given their native language, I'd be highly surprised if they weren't trying to work out a separate publishing arrangement for French territories. Maybe because no localization is required? That's just a guess.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
I haven't heard anything, but given their native language, I'd be highly surprised if they weren't trying to work out a separate publishing arrangement for French territories. Maybe because no localization is required? That's just a guess.
That would be swell.

I'll just keep my finger crossed, then.
Thanks!