You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Archived Developer Chats Fahrenheit Chat Do you think Fahrenheit/Indigo will influence the adventure genre?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
merely human

Default Do you think Fahrenheit/Indigo will influence the adventure genre?

There's been talk in the adventure gaming community of how Fahrenheit might inadvertantly spawn clones of lesser quality by companies hoping to cash in on its success, much in the way that the original Myst had. Many gamers blame Myst for being the bane of the adventure genre, which I personally find ridiculous. Instead, I think Myst became a scapegoat for those gamers. Do you think Fahrenheit will have some influence over how adventure games will be conceptualized and designed for some time?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #2

To be honest with you... no.

The format of Fahrenheit is particularly difficult to write (I hope other people will try to realise that) and requires a totally insane amount of high quality data, including believable motion capture and facial animations. The price to pay is too high for other people to start from scratch.

I strongly believe that Quantic Dream will be the only company able to create this kind of experience for a while, especially when we will talk about next gen consoles. We have started some prototypes for virtual actors able to express emotions that are absolutely amazing.

Most developers will prefer to focus on more established and accessible genres rather than trying to get into interactive drama. But it won't last forever, so we'd better raise the bar so high with our next title that people will need even more time to reach it ;-)
Old 09-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
merely human

You know, that's pretty much what I've been thinking as well. That a company like yours specializes in this kind of game, it's your strength. That said, it'll most likely take your upcoming games Omikron 2, Infraworld, possibly Indigo Prophecy 2 (if you make it) to establish the idea that it really is possible for story emotionally driven games to flourish and be both critically and commercially successful and to actually sow the seeds that help change the texture of the culture of interactive media in the years ahead.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien