You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
headless navigator

Default Thoughtful Gentleman

What made you make the move from music to games?

…and if you don’t mind me asking…

Why so long since Omikron?

Love what you folks are doing at Quantic. I am actually playing Omikron right now in anticipation of my weekend indoors. I will be picking up Indigo Prophecy on Saturday.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:24 AM   #2

Default David Cage's Answers

I started studying music when I was 6.

I played games since I was 10.

As a professional musician, I worked on movies, commercials, tv series, and I wrote some tracks for video games. When real time 3D arrived, I strongly felt it was an interesting new media that would allow to create new kinds of experiences. I knew I would like to be among the first pioneers exploring it.

Why so long after Omikron?
Well, because we could afford it, I guess... In fact, we invested a lot in the company, in the structure (we bought the MoCap studio we used for Fahrenheit), we developed our technology and tools. We also worked oin R&D projects for Microsoft and the MIT, which has been a very interesting experience.
Working on new concepts like Fahrenheit also takes time. I never felt that releasing a game every six months would be an interesting goal and I always refused comprises.

Have fun playing Omikron. You will probably hate the shooting parts, but the rest of the game is (I hope) a pleasant journey.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cage
Have fun playing Omikron. You will probably hate the shooting parts, but the rest of the game is (I hope) a pleasant journey.
Those sentences on their own have made me want to dig out the game and give it another go (maybe getting somewhere this time)...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Those sentences on their own have made me want to dig out the game and give it another go (maybe getting somewhere this time)...
Those sentences on their own have made me want to go out and hang myself because I didn't buy the game when it was released.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
Those sentences on their own have made me want to go out and hang myself because I didn't buy the game when it was released.
To my eternal shame I gave up when I couldn't work out what I was supposed to be doing. There are some really nice touches in it, though.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Mostly absent

Thanks for the info and link you already removed. I had totally missed that they were selling it.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
headless navigator

At least your team used solid bases for the action in Omikron. I don’t know if you know this, but Tekken 4 features a character called Combot.

I’m a hardcore gamer across all genres. I don’t like how games are pigeonholed. I consider games like Silent Hill and Zelda to be adventure games. Any game that involves exploration, puzzle solving and even a few action elements, but with less regard to tactical or frenetic action should be considered adventure.

Some people get caught up in familiarity. This causes rifts between those who want new from those who want more. From what I’ve seen of Indigo Prophecy so far, it just may bridge that gap.

Take your time. I would rather see love than something made only for profit.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
Thanks for the info and link you already removed. I had totally missed that they were selling it.
Emphasis on were. I couldn't find it when I looked just now, so I removed the link to avoid looking like a fool .

Amazon has a few copies, though.