You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Anyone Writing A Novel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
The Impostor

Default Anyone Writing A Novel?

Just curious.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
Squeaky

Not me personally, but I know a few forumites who are currently putting together a work of unquestionable literary genius.

Anyway, why do you ask (just curious doesn't cut it )? Are you? Or are you interested in starting one?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

As I'm not nearly good enough a writer to craft a novel which both sustains the interest of the reader and is well written, I'll leave the writing to those more capable than I. And will write dodgy video-game stories instead .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Banned User

I started one in 9th grade. It was an awesome supernatural murder story, and it had a great beginning, but then I caught the journalism bug and never finished it. But lately, I have an AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME idea for a story. I know it would friggin sell. I'd bet my life on it. It has to do with rats, and that's all i'm saying, you friggin thieves!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
The Impostor

Quote:
Anyway, why do you ask (just curious doesn't cut it )? Are you? Or are you interested in starting one?
I have started one, and false-started many others, but I was, in essence, just curious. I like the idea of people writing novels.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:42 AM   #6
Squeaky

Ah, cool. I always wanted to write creatively but my writing is way too clinical and I've never been able to change that style.

Are you at liberty to discuss your subject matter or will that run the risk of sapping your creative juices? Either way, best of luck with it - hope it works out.

So, temp, are you gonna write this great rat tail tale? Or is it a concept you're hoping to pitch to someone?

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 08-15-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 AM   #7
Dungeon Master

I want to... no, I will some day. I don't really feel as a literary talent, to tell the truth. But I'm told my skills are above average at least so, keeping in mind that I wouldn't plan to make writing my main source of income, I guess I've got little to lose if I finally get the courage to.

The closest I ever achieved (in terms of how many pages I've actually written) was the story of a guy looking back on his life after he gets on the "other side". It started shaping up overambitious in terms of scope (not to mention pretentious), though, so I put the idea on hold.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

I've parodied the first 3 Harry Potters, only around 40-50 pages though and added new characters and added random Family Guy-style humour... and I regularly contribute to the 3-Word-Story.

Last edited by Hammerite; 08-15-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 AM   #9
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
I've parodied the first 3 Harry Potters, only around 40-50 pages though and added new characters and added random Family Guy-style humour.
I wanna read it! Pu-leeze!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:58 AM   #10
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I´ve started writing one recently, it´s about terrorism..I don´t seem to really get a great start..
Old 08-15-2005, 05:03 AM   #11
The Impostor

Quote:
Are you at liberty to discuss your subject matter or will that run the risk of sapping your creative juices? Either way, best of luck with it - hope it works out.
To tell you the truth, I couldn't even pigeon-hole the subject matter. It would compromise it somehow. Suffice to say, it's quite strange and I'm not entirely sure how it'll turn out — aside from probably being crap, that is. I've only written a couple of pages, and I've only got a vague idea of the beginning and the end, so the middle is my main concern. Anyway, thanks.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:08 AM   #12
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
I've parodied the first 3 Harry Potters, only around 40-50 pages though and added new characters and added random Family Guy-style humour... and I regularly contribute to the 3-Word-Story.
I want to read it!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:21 AM   #13
Psychonaut

Off topic

Are omloflump and Glenn Epic the same person or do all Aussies like using similar avatars.

I had to do a double take on the last two posts

Old 08-15-2005, 05:39 AM   #14
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Novel? No. I tend to hate my ideas before I finish a full book, so I stick to short-stories instead And of course RP. I adore doing long, eloquent RP posts. So fun.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-15-2005, 05:39 AM   #15
Psychonaut

Back on topic

Robert G Allen famously said that "Everyone has at least one good book in them."

Don't know if it's true never tried to expung mine
Old 08-15-2005, 05:39 AM   #16
The Impostor

Quote:
Are omloflump and Glenn Epic the same person or do all Aussies like using similar avatars.
Yes, we're the same person. I made two accounts as an experiment to see if anyone would notice. I tried to make them appear like different people by giving them different personalities and opinions. But now the game is up and I'll have to shelve Glenn Epic, and with him, my kindness. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted. By the way, I used a friend of mine to act in all the videos and appear on the avatar.

Goodbye Glenn Epic!

Old 08-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #17
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Robert G Allen famously said that "Everyone has at least one good book in them."
Well, I remember chewing the corners off my Cat in the Hat book when I was a wee bub, but I'm confident that's about as close as I'll ever get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump/Glenn Epic
To tell you the truth, I couldn't even pigeon-hole the subject matter. It would compromise it somehow. Suffice to say, it's quite strange and I'm not entirely sure how it'll turn out — aside from probably being crap, that is. I've only written a couple of pages, and I've only got a vague idea of the beginning and the end, so the middle is my main concern. Anyway, thanks.
Thought that might be the case - the part about compromising your work, I mean. 'Strange' sounds good - I like the kind of novels that are difficult to categorise. And aren't the beginning and end the most difficult parts? Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #18
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
And aren't the beginning and end the most difficult parts?
All ideas I ever had, or at least those worthy remembering for possible future use in a work of fiction, were either beginnings or endings.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:36 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

I am. It gets me up early every morning.

I've got about two chapters to go before I'll reach the end. Then I get to go back to the beginning and rewrite the whole thing.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:43 AM   #20
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I am.
Is it about [joke removed because of the "no making fun of Fov" rule]?

But, seriously, care to reveal something more, however vague that may be?