You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #1221
Citizen of Bizarro World

Aeon Flux - colossal waste of time

(edited to include the word colossal)
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 05-11-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #1222
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
The Terminator - I think this movie is a classic, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. While it's not the best made film, it's still watchable and fun, and something that I'll keep turning to once in awhile. Time to watch the second one.
Heh. I find this film rather dated and dull, which is a shame, because I love the second one .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #1223
is not wierd

I'm a fan of Judgement Day more than the first as well. The first is very 80s-style.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #1224
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
I'm a fan of Judgement Day more than the first as well. The first is very 80s-style.
Ugh...80s-style. That's truly horrifying to think of. It reminds me of big hair, terrible music, girls dancing in their bedrooms...and the opening credit sequences that combine all three...

Despite a few exceptions, the 80s were a TERRIBLE decade for movies.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #1225
is not wierd

I totally agree, OAV. I'm so glad I was born in the late 80s and wasn't able to actually experience it. But there are definitely some great movies that came out of the period, although they're all remarkably absent of 80-style.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #1226
Elegantly copy+pasted

The two great 80s movies I can think of off the top of my head, Ghostbusters and Blue Velvet, are both quintessentially 80s-y, so I don't think I buy that argument, Spiwak.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #1227
Super Moderator

Quote:
I totally agree, OAV. I'm so glad I was born in the late 80s and wasn't able to actually experience it. But there are definitely some great movies that came out of the period, although they're all remarkably absent of 80-style.

Booooo Hissss!

I experienced the 80's - OK they were silly but they weren't that bad. You had to be there.

And yes, Ghostbusters is an awesome movie!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Heh. I find this film rather dated and dull
I would have agreed with you yesterday before I rewatched it, but I found that that wasn't the case. It is dated with the music and stereotypical 80's fashion sense, but the rest is a good thriller. My knowledge of movies isn't that expansive, but I have a feeling Terminator did action differently from most other movies.

Anyway, I just rewatched Terminator 2, and I'd put it at about the same level as the first. The ending always brings a tear to my eye.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #1229
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap
The two great 80s movies I can think of off the top of my head, Ghostbusters and Blue Velvet, are both quintessentially 80s-y, so I don't think I buy that argument, Spiwak.
I'll give you Ghostbusters. Blue Velvet isn't really "quintessentially 80s." It mimics the 50s/60s more than anything. I don't remember much in either movie that would make them obviously from the 80s.

And obviously my "argument" wasn't a proven scientific fact, just a generalised opinion. I can think of at least one movie that I loved that had 80s culture written all over it (moreso than Ghostbusters or Blue Velvet), Do the Right Thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Booooo Hissss!
Haha...just remember that I obviously don't really know the 80s since I wasn't there. I'm just remembering MTV clips from the 80s when I say that I'm glad I wasn't there. Oh, and American Psycho

Last edited by Spiwak; 05-12-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #1230
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Hmmm...Eighties flicks. Let's see, there's:
Anything by John Hughes. They may not have been what the 80s were really like, but they were what we wanted the 80s to be like at the time.
Slasher movies. The first three "Friday The 13th" movies, "Nightmare On Elm Street", "Terror Train", "Happy Birthday To Me", "My Bloody Valentine", and many, many others. They were awful in many ways, but we rushed to the theatres to see them anyway.
Peculiar, humorous Horror Movies. "An American Werewolf In London", "Gremlins", "House", "Fright Night", and "Critters". Funny in a twisted way, but with a few good scares, too.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #1231
Super Moderator

We've had this discussion before.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #1232
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Anyway, I just rewatched Terminator 2, and I'd put it at about the same level as the first. The ending always brings a tear to my eye.
I don't know. There's something about the 'thumbs up' gesture that never fails to put me in stitches during that end sequence.

I have a similar experience every time I watch Cliffhanger, when Stallone shouts "That clip's not gonna hold!" near the beginning of the movie. Priceless!
Old 05-13-2006, 02:46 AM   #1233
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I need to rewatch T2 sometime.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
I don't know. There's something about the 'thumbs up' gesture that never fails to put me in stitches during that end sequence.
You heartless monster. He had been a good friend.

I watched Solaris (the one with George Clooney) last night, and it was a very good movie. I liked the slow and quiet pace, and the visuals and soundtrack were beautifully done.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #1235
is not wierd

If you liked that one, see the Tarkovsky original. I love both but for many of the same reasons, and really the main thing Soderbergh did to make the game more accessible for today's audiences is shorten it and make it less ambiguous. Not to knock his production, though, but Tarkovsky's had so much more to the environments (space and on earth) than Soderberghs. And I loved Soderberghs. I love thought-provoking sci-fi in general.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #1236
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
If you liked that one, see the Tarkovsky original. I love both but for many of the same reasons, and really the main thing Soderbergh did to make the game more accessible for today's audiences is shorten it and make it less ambiguous. Not to knock his production, though, but Tarkovsky's had so much more to the environments (space and on earth) than Soderberghs. And I loved Soderberghs. I love thought-provoking sci-fi in general.
Tarkovsky's is better for sure.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #1237

I've got Tarkovsky's version on hold at the library right now. I'm curious to see which one I like more, if either. A movie site I have an account on says I'll like both about the same, a user there who's opinions I generally agree with liked Soderbergh's more, but you two like the older one more.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #1238

I have the same question about two movies: Amadeus and Blade Runner. Should I see the original version of the director's cut?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #1239
In an evening of July...

As far as I know, only one scene has been cut out in Amadeus. Its two minutes long, shouldn't really matter which version you watch.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #1240
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Don´t know about the differences, but I recommend the movie...