You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #1241
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I have the same question about two movies: Amadeus and Blade Runner. Should I see the original version of the director's cut?
Yeah, a nude scene in Amadeus is about all that was added in I think. Still, it's kind of an important scene in my opinion. As for Blade Runner, I'd say go with the DC on that also.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #1242
is not wierd

Actually I'm pretty sure there was a lot more than just the nude scene added back into Amadeus, more to the tune of 20 minutes-worth (what my DC DVD says, anyway). In general, if there is a director's cut I'd always go straight to that one. It's rare that a movie is actually hurt by the additions because they were originally supposed to be there in the first place. I should note the distinction between "Director's Cut" and "Unr8d Edition" though, as it's sometimes pretty obvious that material that was never meant to be in the movie is added to these misleading "unrated" editions (unrated simply because they were nto shown to the MPAA, not because the content is so much racier). That sort of thing is marketing, not vision.

But if it's a movie that has a director I'm familiar with and/or respect, then I'd go for the director's cut automatically.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #1243
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Actually I'm pretty sure there was a lot more than just the nude scene added back into Amadeus, more to the tune of 20 minutes-worth (what my DC DVD says, anyway). In general, if there is a director's cut I'd always go straight to that one. It's rare that a movie is actually hurt by the additions because they were originally supposed to be there in the first place. I should note the distinction between "Director's Cut" and "Unr8d Edition" though, as it's sometimes pretty obvious that material that was never meant to be in the movie is added to these misleading "unrated" editions (unrated simply because they were nto shown to the MPAA, not because the content is so much racier). That sort of thing is marketing, not vision.

But if it's a movie that has a director I'm familiar with and/or respect, then I'd go for the director's cut automatically.
I agree. I mean, a Director's Cut means its the director's favorite version of the film so... However, an Extended Cut would be a different story, like the Lord of the Rings movies. Peter Jackson prefers the theatrical cuts for pacing reasons, but he released the Extended Cuts for the fans that want as many little details from the books as they can get. Jackson believes the theatrical cuts play better as films. So really, in cases like that, it's just up to the viewer's preference I guess.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #1244
Dungeon Master

Wasn't Apocalypse Now Redux widely considered to be inferior to the original release, too?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #1245

I decided to give M. Night Shyamalan a try, so I watched The Sixth Sense and The Village. They weren't bad, but they were boring for the most part.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #1246
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Crash, it was an amazing movie.

Happy yet so sad
Old 05-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #1247

I'm guessing you mean Haggis's Crash, not Cronenberg's Crash?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #1248
woof

uuummm.....the one about Racial Discrimination....

It had Brendan Fraiser
Old 05-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #1249
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
uuummm.....the one about Racial Discrimination....

It had Brendan Fraiser
Yeah, that's the Crash by Haggis. The Cronenberg one is...bizarre. Heh.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #1250
Lovable rogue

Elizabethtown

It was tonights random pick from the veritable cornucopia* of film offerings on Sky Box Office.

One word comes to mind - mediocre. There was absolutley nothing special about it.
A redeeming quality was, that despite the weakness of the story, Orlando Bloom's performance appeared much less wooden than that which I've come to expect from him.
As an aside I also liked his haircut. I'm sure the fact that I was thinking more about his hair than the film, is an indicator of its calibre. Chortle.

* Sarcasm of hyperbolic proportions.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #1251
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Elizabethtown

It was tonights random pick from the veritable cornucopia* of film offerings on Sky Box Office.

One word comes to mind - mediocre. There was absolutley nothing special about it.
A redeeming quality was, that despite the weakness of the story, Orlando Bloom's performance appeared much less wooden than that which I've come to expect from him.
As an aside I also liked his haircut. I'm sure the fact that I was thinking more about his hair than the film, is an indicator of its calibre. Chortle.

*Sarcasm of hyperbolic proportions.
You should have went for crash instead then
Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #1252
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
You should have went for crash instead then
I've already seen that, I thought it was good, but I still think the Academy Award for Best Picture should have gone to Brokeback Mountain.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #1253
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Wasn't Apocalypse Now Redux widely considered to be inferior to the original release, too?
I don't think so. From what I've read, after seeing bot hversions many people felt the first one was strangely incomplete, even though a lot of the reinserted scenes don't necessarily add to the "plot" so much as the general atmosphere. I've only seen the Redux though...and loved it.

Cronenberg's Crash > Haggis' Crash any ol' day of the week. (I think I've said that before in this very thread.) Haggis, just like in Million Dollar Baby, turned a decent premise into an over-the-top and, even worse, unbelievable melodrama. I'm well aware that some of the story wasn't supposed to be "believable" but that's not what I'm referring to--the melodrama aspects that came out in the last third or so just really didn't feel right, and the whole time I Was imagining some guy behind my television screen turning the movie into that simply to manipulate my emotions. If a drector can skillfully manipulate me then I'll gladly surrender myself, but Haggis didn't do it subtly enough at all for it to work for me. Same with Million Dollar Baby (which he only wrote), which was a real shame because before the last twenty minutes that was turning into an awesome experience.

EDIT: and I'd have to agree with jat. Out of the nominees Brokeback Moutnai ndeserved it more than Crash. Actually History of Violence or Match Point or even New World deserved it more than either one though.

Last edited by Spiwak; 05-13-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #1254
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Yeah, a nude scene in Amadeus is about all that was added in I think. Still, it's kind of an important scene in my opinion. As for Blade Runner, I'd say go with the DC on that also.
I can't pronounce myself on the theatrical cut of Blade Runner (my favourite movie ever), but I do know they cut Deckard's narration from it.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #1255
In an evening of July...

Rashomon - Liked it. One of the movies I will be watching over and over again. Its amazing how deep you can go when discussing the different story versions with yourself. Thanks again, Spiwak.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #1256
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze
Rashomon - Liked it. One of the movies I will be watching over and over again. Its amazing how deep you can go when discussing the different story versions with yourself. Thanks again, Spiwak.
Brilliant, brilliant movie. HILARIOUS too. The sequence where the woman tells the story and through her eyes both men were huge cowards...I've rarely laughed so hard in a film in my life. Two "tough guys" crawling around in the dirt and throwing leaves at each other, LOL.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #1257
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Constantine
Old 05-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #1258

Since Michael Mann is coming out with a Miami Vice movie this summer, I decided to watch Heat and Collateral. They were good, hard to say which I liked more. Heat had too much boring drama, but it had one of the best gun fights and something else to it that I can't quite put my finger on. Collateral didn't bore me, but sometimes felt a bit too cheesy or unbelievable.

Dog Day Afternoon - it was good.

Kill Bill, Vol. 1 - a good movie overall. I liked the over-the-topness but sometimes it went a direction I didn't really enjoy. I haven't seen the second part yet, but I wish it hadn't gotten split up. This first part didn't feel like a complete movie.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:52 AM   #1259
Grah! Grah!

On Dangerous Ground - Again. Nicholas Ray was one hell of a man. Anyone know if it's true he bagged Natalie Wood during the making of Rebel Without A Cause? I hope someday I can have a hundredth of the musical instinct Bernard Hermann did. I don't like the ending.

Trois Coleurs: Rouge - Turns out Kieslowski's not the intellectual prick I'd always taken him for. I blame it on having attempted to watch a VHS of Trois couleurs: Bleu years ago. Irene Jacob has a fascinating face. So few movies care for beauty nowadays.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #1260
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
Trois Coleurs: Rouge - Turns out Kieslowski's not the intellectual prick I'd always taken him for. I blame it on having attempted to watch a VHS of Trois couleurs: Bleu years ago. Irene Jacob has a fascinating face. So few movies care for beauty nowadays.
I'm not sure what you mean by an "intellectual prick" but Kieslowski is a very interesting director. Damn fine film though.