You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #901
Fulci lives

My Best Fiend.
Man, that Klaus Kinski was a total maniac!
This documentary by german director Werner Herzog tells us about his friendship with actor Klaus Kinski with whom he made 5 movies with.
The 5 movies being Aguirre - Wrath of God, Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, Woyzeck and Cobra Verde.
If you are interested in the films they made together i recommend you to first watch this documentary, it will make you appreciate and understand them better.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #902
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Serenity
I have a word for this. That word is "wow". Different from the series, and yet strangely compelling. Now it just needs to sell more copies on DVD so that we can all have a sequel...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #903
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
My Best Fiend.
Man, that Klaus Kinski was a total maniac!
This documentary by german director Werner Herzog tells us about his friendship with actor Klaus Kinski with whom he made 5 movies with.
The 5 movies being Aguirre - Wrath of God, Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, Woyzeck and Cobra Verde.
If you are interested in the films they made together i recommend you to first watch this documentary, it will make you appreciate and understand them better.
Very good documentary for sure. Herzog is wicked awesome!..Still need to see Grizzly Man, incidentally...
Old 02-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #904
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Cobra

Last edited by [toj.cc]Phantom; 02-21-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #905
Psychonaut

Crime is a Disease.

I'm the cure.

That Cobra
Old 02-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #906
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Crime is a Disease.

I'm the cure.

That Cobra
Yes, that Cobra.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
I finally got around to watching 2046 last night. Meh. I didn't get anything out of it at all, it was SO shallow and I despised Tony Leung's character. Self-centred bastard uses a string of women to entertain himself. YAWN. It was laid on so thick there at the end of the movie that I couldn't stop giggling. Two beautiful women cry while Chow sulks along in taxi (he's in black and white, of course).

Also someone needs to teach Leung to kiss properly, he slams his face into the woman he's kissing so hard that it looks more like a headbutt than a make out session.
Ok, now you need to stay right here while I go and fetch my machete.

Note to self: go buy a machete.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #908
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Ok, now you need to stay right here while I go and fetch my machete.

Note to self: go buy a machete.
Did my dissing of headbutt kisses hurt your feelings?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Yea I was actually going to say Anything Else is worth watching as well.

And jjacob: here was what I wrote regarding the cliched-ness of the plot
Quote:
I basically feel that it wholly works with the movie because one of Cronenberg's goals was to comment on how inherrant and Darwinian violence is for humans. For me, Cronenberg was presenting a story that seems wholly unoriginally or borrowed from various influences, for instance the Western hero thrown into his violent past after trying to leave it behind when it suddenly catches up to him, the whole school bully plot, the comforting small town rocked by the big city immorality, etc, on purpose. The groteque and gory violence (which I think succeeds in both thrilling and disturbing the audience), wrapped up in such a cliche-ridden plot seemed to comment on how violence entertains, or rather, intrigues us even though modern society tries to repress it. The fact that in general the violence in the movie was one of the more intriguing aspects of the viewing experience while also going so far as to disgust me only helped me come to that conclusion. That and the fact that Cronenberg isn't any ordinary director; he's both incredibly intelligent (just listen/read to some of his interviews) and interested in things like inhumanity-from-humanity themes. So I don't know if it was necessarily intended, but that's how I read it, and in general the subversiveness of his film in dealing with several layers of narrative interpretation made it one of the top movies of the year for me. Match Point only barely beat it.
You probably did see it but it probably just didn't do anything to change your mind about it. In any case, it seems your complaints are mostly in what I discuss there briefly, so maybe it'll work.
Oh that post Well it didn't work for me because the violence in the movie was in no way entertaining, if Cronenberg was aiming for that then he should've put more visceral violence in it, because as it is there's nothing really shocking or entertaining in there. I don't care how intelligent the guy is, the fact of the matter is, he made a bad movie (no biggie, even brilliant directors make a bad film out of every other project). In my opinion the subplots weren't that interesting either - perhaps even more cliched than the main theme. He obviously wanted to exploit this deja-vu viewing experience, but didn't succeed (not for me anyway). It's a simple fact for me that I don't want to see everything coming a mile away. For example, I knew that "violent" stairwell scene was coming the moment I predicted 'Joey' actually had a history of violence. I even thought to myself "Cronenberg must be a chump to put that in there" and then it came. For me, that was just plain annoying. It wasn't just me though, the 'screening' I went to (more like a preview screening - one week before the national theatrical release) was actually filled with laughter at certain scenes which were obviously not meant to be funny. Either a lot of journalists attented and were thinking the same thing I was thinking, or they were really sadistic - I'm thinking it's not the latter.
Quote:
Did my dissing of headbutt kisses hurt your feelings?
Have you seen In The Mood For Love already? You really should, as 2046 is actually a sequel of sorts. If you did, and your opinion stands, I'm going to buy Ninth his machete
Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #910
Roar?

Quote:
Have you seen In The Mood For Love already? You really should, as 2046 is actually a sequel of sorts. If you did, and your opinion stands, I'm going to buy Ninth his machete
No! But I complained about 2046 to a friend who insisted I watch In the Mood for Love and then Chungking Express as they are supposedly better than 2046.

Maybe I should have added some positive things to my review. I lovvvvved the mood of the movie, the colours, and the awesome set decoration. The overall mood is what kept me watching until the end. It was very 40's film noir, except Bai Ling should have stabbed Chow with a letter opener, then smoked a cigarette while watching him die on her bed.

WHY is Gong Li so beautiful? It's not fair! Faye Wong is also incredibly beautiful. She did a great job as the quirky birdlike Jing Wen.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 AM   #911

Quote:
Maybe I should have added some positive things to my review. I lovvvvved the mood of the movie, the colours, and the awesome set decoration. The overall mood is what kept me watching until the end. It was very 40's film noir, except Bai Ling should have stabbed Chow with a letter opener, then smoked a cigarette while watching him die on her bed.

WHY is Gong Li so beautiful? It's not fair! Faye Wong is also incredibly beautiful. She did a great job as the quirky birdlike Jing Wen.
That's much better.

You're still on probation, though.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:45 AM   #912
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Saw Spun yesterday, a great movie, a little disturbing at points, but nevertheless, I highly recommend it, Mickey Rourke did a great job in it..
Old 02-22-2006, 04:33 AM   #913

Mickey Rourke and Brittany Murphy, hmmm, better go see that one
Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 AM   #914
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Mickey Rourke and Brittany Murphy, hmmm, better go see that one
Yes, I really recommend it, Brithany Murphy does a great job aswell!
Old 02-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #915
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
I was actually midly disappointed by this one; not as amusing as I was hoping it would be. But the animation quality is still top-notch, it's still an enjoyable film and those rabbits are so cute I could die .

Old 02-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #916
is not wierd

Ah you're nuts. I thought it was hilarious.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:13 PM   #917
Psychonaut

Quote:
Ah you're nuts. I thought it was hilarious.

Seconded
Old 02-23-2006, 03:55 AM   #918

Third..ed

< Yes you're a cute little clay bunnie, yes you are
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #919
The Thread™ will die.

I dunno. Maybe I just came to it expecting it to be funnier because I'd enjoyed Chicken Run so much. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film, and I laughed several times. But I don't think it's as good a film.

Anyway, I'll watch it again before too long and see if my opinion changes.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 AM   #920

It did contain a lot of cheese (), but I still thought it was utter brilliance.