You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Apple switching to Intel chips???

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #21
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Cheaper, faster, more competitive Macs, I guess.

Apple has been facing a bit of an uphill battle in the last few years with the PoewrPC chips. They have been coming out less frequently, in smaller quantities, and at slower speeds than they were predicting, so hopefully switching over to x86 chips - the same ones everyone else uses (well, AMD notwithstanding) - will solve that problem a bit.

The switch to Intel chips doesn't mean that Macs and PC's will suddenly be interchangeable - you almost certainly won't be able to just buy an Intel-based-Mac compatible version of MacOS X and install it on your PC - but it's just one more standardized part Apple will be able to rely on to be consistantly updated inside their computers at a guaranteed equal rate to competing PC's. One that happens to also be faster and with a more concrete future than the component they were formerly using.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens

06-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #22
merely human

Quote:
"Because people who're interested enough in AGs to read AG websites probably won't mind the bad gameplay." ™
Love your sig, Jake. Love it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

06-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #23
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Love your sig, Jake. Love it.
It's a quote from the 65 page monster thread, not written by me even.

06-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #24
merely human

I'm surprised Fairygdmther, Curt, and gilly haven't shown up together on your front doorstep to lynch you by now. Then again, they've probably got me on their hitlist first, then you and squaresie.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

06-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I'm surprised Fairygdmther, Curt, and gilly haven't shown up together on your front doorstep to lynch you by now. Then again, they've probably got me on their hitlist first, then you and squaresie.
No, Jake's cool on my book (Damn, we don't have the cool smiley anymore either).

If you had said that on the other hand, I'd strip you naked, put a tight leather thong on you, string you up, and admire the sight while holding a leather whip on my left hand.

Staying on topic. This news involves some of the biggest tech companies but the stock market doesn't seem very interested. Not much of a reaction. On a slight up day, both Intel and Apple are slightly down. Here's an AP article that's not so flattering to Apple.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050606/apple_chips.html?.v=11

Last edited by gillyruless; 06-06-2005 at 11:23 AM.

06-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #26
The Dartmaster

Apple stock rarely moves right after a big Jobs speech - it moves around quarterly earnings announcements that bear the fruit (or failure) of those announcements.

06-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
If you had said that on the other hand, I'd strip you naked, put a tight leather thong on you, string you up, and admire the sight while holding a leather whip on my left hand.

I've started a workout regimen so in a few months I may just look a tad better in that thong.

06-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #28
Doctor Watson

Few MONTHS? I'm expecting it to take three years before I get any noticeable results.

Uhm. Apple rules!

06-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Few MONTHS? I'm expecting it to take three years before I get any noticeable results.

Uhm. Apple rules!
Wormsie, Don't you hate it when people don't get your subtle jokes? I'm still wating for someone to notice that I'm holding the whip with my left hand.