You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat I reall need some help with my laptop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 07:31 AM   #1

Default I reall need some help with my laptop

So my laptop's CD drive hasn't been working for over 2 years. I can't seem to find any internal CD drive's anwhere. I've been to PC World, Dixons, Curry's. Just about everywhere. No internal drives, though. The CD drive won't even open or close correctly. I used the laptop for internet access. Also it won't start up. Error message appears.

I did buy an external CD drive, but that didn't even turn on when I connected it to the laptop. I returned it back the next day.

My father bought the laptop from Germany back in 2000/2001. The laptop's by Natcomp. I believe it's an Australian company. I've been to their site and they only serve buyers in Australia and New Zealand.

So, where can I find an internal CD drive for my laptop? Any online sites I can look at?

I just turned on the laptop now. It goes into the 'We apologize for the inconvience' screen, where you choose which Safe Mode option you won't to start with. I choose one and the Windows XP screen appears. Seconds later a screen comes up with two paragraphs appear for about a second, which is too fast to write down and it then appears at the 'We apologize for the inconvience' screen after a few seconds.

If I choose Safe Mode, a lot of these lines appear:
multi[0]disc[o]partition [1]\WINDOWS\System et etc etc

If I choose Safe Mode with Networking, a lot of these lines appear:

If I choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt, a lot of these lines appear:

Is that a virus or something?

And again this appears:
It goes into the 'We apologize for the inconvience' screen, where you choose which Safe Mode option you wan't to start with. I choose one and the Windows XP screen appears. Seconds later a screen comes up with two paragraphs appear for about a second, which is too fast to write down and it then appears at the 'We apologize for the inconvience' screen after a few seconds. I can just about read the first line 'the registry cannot load the drive/hive[STOP].' Anyway I can pause this screen, so I can write down the whole error message?

Then it goes back to the start.

This is really frustrating. I really need to fix the laptop, as my sister is going to college this year and she'll need a laptop with her.

I've included a picture of the laptop's cd drive.

So if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Epinionated.

Sounds more like a hard drive/Windows issue to me... talking about partitions suggests something's gone really awry. I gather on pressing del and going into the bios the machine senses the cd drive? Does the drive spin with a disc in it on boot?

You could try a fresh windows install. Any PC owner should really have a FULL copy of windows just in case anything truly berzerk goes wrong.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Sounds more like a hard drive/Windows issue to me... talking about partitions suggests something's gone really awry. I gather on pressing del and going into the bios the machine senses the cd drive? Does the drive spin with a disc in it on boot?

You could try a fresh windows install. Any PC owner should really have a FULL copy of windows just in case anything truly berzerk goes wrong.
I think it does show the CD drive in the bios screen. The CD drive is just dead, no spin or loading noise at all when the laptop boots up.

Fresh Windows install? Wouldn't I need to use my CD drive? As it's not working.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Jen

Here's a German site that looks like it has replacement internal drives:

http://www.ipc-computer.de/index.php?cPath=98
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Epinionated.

I'm just suggesting things. You've only said that there's windows problems and nothing you wrote other than the registry error indicates anything to do with a CD drive. I know you said it doesn't work, but there was always the risk I wasn't reading into your post as you intended as much of it refers to boot-up errors on windows startup and not what the drive does when you turn on the computer from the beginning.

Internal drive replacement is the only way. Then hopefully Window's will start properly, if not there could be a corrupt registry which would require a copy to clear it out with a repair install.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Epinionated.

http://www.rogerhenson.com/parts.php

Yay for Goggle UK seach.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
cows are my friends...

Those do sound like HD errors, or at least partition errors. If you have a floppy drive you can try booting from a Windows startup disk and see if you can get anywhere from there. The problem with trying to find a replacement CDROM (or replacement anything for a laptop) is they're often very specific about what will fit/work. It's not like buying a new CDROM for a desktop computer, with the varying sizes and whatnot.

You mentioned you bought an external CDROM drive and it wouldn't power on. This might be a dumb question, but did it have/need an external power source? Not everything can be powered up over USB. Even if it can it's often more stable when plugged in to it's own power source anyway (so I'd imagine). Also, if you were using a USB hub with more than one component I've read (and experienced) that certain devices need to have their own port and won't work when plugged into a hub, even if it has its own power. The fact that it didn't turn on could also suggest that either a) the USB port on your laptop is screwed up or b) the CDROM drive was a dud. If you need a CDROM to install Windows I would try another external drive.

Another, perhaps more expensive method, to get at the hard drive would be to get an adaptor for it. This would also require that you be comfortable enough to extract the HD from your laptop, install it in the drive adaptor, install the drive adaptor into your desktop, then do it all in reverse once you get access to the HD from your desktop's Windows. I've never seen or used a laptop->desktop HD adaptor so I don't know how costly or easy it is, but I've read that such devices exist.

Those are some ideas, anyway. I'm not sure how else you can go about fixing it without sending it back to the company or some other specialty shop. Just make sure that if you do buy a replacement that it will work with your model laptop.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #8

I'll check out those links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadriflax
Those do sound like HD errors, or at least partition errors. If you have a floppy drive you can try booting from a Windows startup disk and see if you can get anywhere from there. The problem with trying to find a replacement CDROM (or replacement anything for a laptop) is they're often very specific about what will fit/work. It's not like buying a new CDROM for a desktop computer, with the varying sizes and whatnot.

You mentioned you bought an external CDROM drive and it wouldn't power on. This might be a dumb question, but did it have/need an external power source? Not everything can be powered up over USB. Even if it can it's often more stable when plugged in to it's own power source anyway (so I'd imagine). Also, if you were using a USB hub with more than one component I've read (and experienced) that certain devices need to have their own port and won't work when plugged into a hub, even if it has its own power.

Another, perhaps more expensive method, to get at the hard drive would be to get an adaptor for it. This would also require that you be comfortable enough to extract the HD from your laptop, install it in the drive adaptor, install the drive adaptor into your desktop, then do it all in reverse once you get access to the HD from your desktop's Windows. I've never seen or used a laptop->desktop HD adaptor so I don't know how costly or easy it is, but I've read that such devices exist.
Do you know where I can download a Windows Startup disk? I can try that.

It did have a power source..I don't think I mentioned this but the laptop was booting up as normal even though the CD Drive wasn't working. I never played around the sys or other important files.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
Banned User

Perhaps it's time to get a new laptop? You can snag one for about $600 bones these days.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
merely human

Heh heh, that's exactly what I was thinking.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Perhaps it's time to get a new laptop? You can snag one for about $600 bones these days.
I bought this computer instead.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection
I bought this computer instead.
smooth move
Old 06-02-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
Under pressure.

Have you tried booting the laptop with a Windows XP (or 2000) CD in the drive? Just to be sure?

--Erwin
Old 06-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
cows are my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection
Do you know where I can download a Windows Startup disk? I can try that.
I did a quick search and found this site. Try some of those if you can and see if they work.

Quote:
It did have a power source..I don't think I mentioned this but the laptop was booting up as normal even though the CD Drive wasn't working. I never played around the sys or other important files.
So it had its own power source, and the drive didn't power up? Sounds like a dud to me. I'd think it should power on even if it wasn't hooked up to a computer, so as long as it's plugged in. I'd try another one, maybe another brand, and see what happens.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadriflax
I did a quick search and found this site. Try some of those if you can and see if they work.

So it had its own power source, and the drive didn't power up? Sounds like a dud to me. I'd think it should power on even if it wasn't hooked up to a computer, so as long as it's plugged in. I'd try another one, maybe another brand, and see what happens.
Thanks for the link. I'll need to buy some floppy disks tomorrow.

Yeah..didn't work at all. I bought the CD drive from this computer store Mikra or something. I went to PC World too, but I was told there would be charge if I bought and returned a CD drive.