You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Most Amazing Adventure You'll Ever Download

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
Epinionated.

Default The Most Amazing Adventure You'll Ever Download

Hi guys,

Not strictly speaking an adventure, but it IS point and click. Nasa's WorldWind is simply the most amazing piece of freeware I've EVER used. I just zoomed into the virtual world from space to a friends house I stayed in at San Francisco.

There are different types of data for viewing on this program, including 3D visualisations of geographical formations. It's point and click, and totally stunning to boot!

IT'S FREAKIN' STUNNING! And more than a little scary!

Get it at -

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
Old 05-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

It's awesome! I'm just a tiny bit disappointed you can't zoom in further - on Google Maps you can pretty much zoom right in to peek at individual houses. Imagine that in this thing!

Still, it's got a high enough resolution that I've been able to look at just about every city I've been to recently - and pick out more or less where I went. Seriously awesome!
Old 05-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Epinionated.

All major US cities allow you to zoom into individual houses. It's a shame you can't do it elsewhere, but I managed to zoom right into Turin (which I know well) to find that all major landmarks were there down to the Superga, with 3D data so the landscape was as I remembered it. From there I went down the coast to my old fave holiday spot, Levanto, and not only was it marked, the valley was rendered in 3D and the village in the right place, along with the Cinque Terre along the coast.

If only it had the same detail as the US cities! But you can't have everything (yet)!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
capsized.

Can you search for cities by typing in a name? Looks interesting, but I have to wait 'till I'm back at my apartment.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Epinionated.

I think you can.

BTW on the WW site you can also download add-ons and plugins in the forums. No UK Urban centres yet, but there are links to other "zoomable" maps too.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
capsized.

What about Germany then? I'm currently at my parents' house (dial-up connection!) and feeling a bit home sick.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
capsized.

SJH, I've downloaded it and can't zoom into anything.... Does it constantly downlaod data?

Last edited by samIamsad; 05-31-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
Epinionated.

Yes, then it caches it so wait a second on zooming. Also make sure you've got one of the options selected at the top - urban only works in some areas of the US though! Landsat 7's first option is good.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:27 AM   #9
capsized.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Doesn't work somehow. Perhaps my firewall's blockin'. Perhaps it's just me. He he. I'm pressing the `+`key to zoom. I'm waiting. Nothing happens. Well, I've got to deal with a 2 GB traffic limit here at my student's apartment, so perhaps it's better not to play around with that program anyway.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #10
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Doesn't work somehow. Perhaps my firewall's blockin'. Perhaps it's just me. He he. I'm pressing the `+`key to zoom. I'm waiting. Nothing happens. Well, I've got to deal with a 2 GB traffic limit here at my student's apartment, so perhaps it's better not to play around with that program anyway.
You might have to set up the web proxy for your university within World Wind - steal the settings from your browser if so. It downloads its data via the web, so if it isn't working I think this is the most probably cause.

The coverage of Europe isn't great unfortunately - I was looking at Hamburg (I spent some time there a month or two ago) and you could just about make out the big lake. Shame really. I'm sure it will improve in future though.

EDIT: BLOODY HELL! I hadn't realised the Urban option only works for the US - now I've finally seen what this program can do. This is incredible!

Last edited by Huz; 06-01-2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #11
Epinionated.

Well, it is USGS data. United States Geographical Survey.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Nice find. Toying around with it now.