You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default L O S T

Who agrees it's the best thing that graced the TV screens in years?

For those who don't know the series, Lost revolves around a plane crash on a deserted (?) tropical island. Forty-seven people survived (though we were really shown faces of twentysomething, thus allowing the writers to instantly add a new character "who was there from the beginning" ). Every episode, apart from chronicling characters' Robinsonesque trials of making new home in the hostile environment, brings flashbacks from one of the survivors' troubled past.

Unfortunately, I caught up on this series as late as after eight episodes or so. Realizing it tells a continuous story would normally make me go back to my room, grumbling, and wait for re-runs to avoid being in the dark about what (plotwise) is already known and what is only hinted at... but I simply couldn't stop watching it. And it's literally getting better and more complex with every week.

I love how the characters' backstories turn out interwinted with each other. I love the omnipresent symbollism - true, it happens to be too obvious at one time or too obscure at another - but it's refreshing to see this kind of thing in such "brainless" format as prime-time 40-minutes-per-episode series (and thankfully it's not like the creators aspire to rival Bergman or something). I love the quality acting: Matthew Fox, whom I remember from warm Party of Five, and Dominic Monaghan aka Merry from LOTR are here. Terry O'Quinn, known for numerous strong supporting performances, ingenuously carries the role of the most mysterious survivor, appropriately named John Locke. All the remaining cast, though I didn't learn their names yet, does terrific job in bringing deep, real personalities to life. I love how every venture into Island's secrets brings more questions than answers, and despite that I never feel cheated by the script, if only because the flashback parts alone are so wonderfully written. I love how the mood stops short of following Twin Peaks or X-files road yet it's constantly hinted that there are metaphysical forces in the game (of course, they'll have to make up their mind about that sooner or later, probably).

In short: [bad pun]get Lost if you have a chance.[/bad pun]
Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Epinionated.

I've been following it since day one. One of the best series' I've ever seen, up there alongside Band Of Brothers, and I'm definitely going to get the DVD set in September.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #3

You know, I really, really wanted to like this show. I'm a Korean and Lost is one of the few American TV shows that feature regular characters who are Koreans and played by actual Korean actors. Unfortunately, it never caught my interest. The premise just didn't seem very convincing to me.

A lot of Koreans that I have talked to complained about how Yunjin Kim who plays Sun looks in the show. She'c actually quite beatiful. Check out Shiri, a Korean movie she starred in and you will see that she is a very beatiful woman.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I've been following it since day one. One of the best series' I've ever seen, up there alongside Band Of Brothers, and I'm definitely going to get the DVD set in September.
Have you seen it to the very end already? Here, the most recently aired episode was Deus ex Machina - the one with Locke's parents subplot (BTW, a TV show finding its way to Poland as quickly after world's premiere is an exception, not the rule).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
You know, I really, really wanted to like this show. I'm a Korean and Lost is one of the few American TV shows that feature regular characters who are Koreans and played by actual Korean actors. Unfortunately, it never caught my interest. The premise just didn't seem very convincing to me.
Pity. Incidentally, you answered my unasked question about Jin's and Sun's nationality (for some reason, I suspected Korean, but if it was ever clearly stated, I missed it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
A lot of Koreans that I have talked to complained about how Yunjin Kim who plays Sun looks in the show. She'c actually quite beatiful. Check out Shiri, a Korean movie she starred in and you will see that she is a very beatiful woman.
Do you mean that she doesn't look as good in the show? I thought she was the prettiest of all female leads by far...
Old 05-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Epinionated.

You can hardly complain about her looks! Besides, the only UK character is great until you enter his backstory. Whoever wrote it has no idea about how we live over here - we're either rockstars or gentry, evidently. And the song he was supposed to have made his fortune with - You are Everybody, or somethin' - was extraordinarily insipid.

As for the premise being unconvincing, it's fantasy. Besides, no-one KNOWS what the premise is yet until the end of Series 1, but that might still leave a question mark for all we know. Still, you either like it or you don't I suppose. But I personally find it compelling, well written and scripted...
Old 05-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Headbanger

I have only watched some small parts of it and it didn't catch my attention at all. On the other hand I don't really like TV-series (but I love movies) but Deadwood has really caught my attention. Has anyone seen that one?

http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/
Old 05-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
I watched both and she looks great in both, I love Shiri I thougt it was great. Daniel Dae Kim is making Jin my favourite character, I really like Yunjin and her character Sun. Also Sawyer and Jack are great, plus Charlie and Hurley are pretty funny as the lighter side of Lost. Sayid is pretty cool. Some of the others like Kate, Shannon and Claire are horrible, I don't get them at all, and they are immensely anoying. I don't really know what to make of Locke, maybe he can't be trusted.
Quote:
Do you mean that she doesn't look as good in the show? I thought she was the prettiest of all female leads by far...
I second that.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Banned User

oangflkasnfalsk I love it I love it I LOVE IT! I just saw the finale after watching every episode. I have them all on dvd

I hate deadwood. "hmm...how many times can we fit the word **** into a show..."
Old 05-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
How am I not myself?

I have never seen any episodes of Lost. It intrigues me so so much but I don't want to join in so late and miss out on all the earlier episodes. I will most likely get the set and watch them all on DVD.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:06 AM   #10
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Daniel Dae Kim is making Jin my favourite character, I really like Yunjin and her character Sun. Also Sawyer and Jack are great, plus Charlie and Hurley are pretty funny as the lighter side of Lost. Sayid is pretty cool. Some of the others like Kate, Shannon and Claire are horrible, I don't get them at all, and they are immensely anoying. I don't really know what to make of Locke, maybe he can't be trusted.
Locke is my favourite character because I completely don't know what to make of him. Is he a madman or a prophet? Does he know somethng more or is he simply keen on creating air of mystery around himself? Even his backstory only adds to the confusion.

That said, there is no horrible ones in my book (although some, like Claire, has just been underdeveloped, at least to the point I know the series).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
I have never seen any episodes of Lost. It intrigues me so so much but I don't want to join in so late and miss out on all the earlier episodes. I will most likely get the set and watch them all on DVD.
That's probably what I ought to do. But I'm too much of an addict by now. I just hope the season finale does not rely too much on knowledge of what happens in the first episodes (which I intend to watch on DVD if it will be sold here).
Old 05-26-2005, 03:15 AM   #11
A Servicable Villain

I haven't seen Lost, but I'm pleased to see that the quality of tv-shows are soaring in their totality thanks to HBO-series such as The Sopranos, Six Feet Under and CarnivĂ*le.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:11 AM   #12
Under pressure.

Well, I think quality TV shows have always existed.

--Erwin
Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 AM   #13
A Servicable Villain

Of course, but you can't deny the HBO series brought a terrific standard of quality to the scene. A quality that before only sporadically surfaced.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:49 AM   #14
Under pressure.

Too bad the suckers decided to cancel Carnivale, though. I heard season 2 ended with a cliffhanger, making it extra sour. At least Enterprise got the opportunity to end the series decently. (Although I would've loved another season)

--Erwin
Old 05-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I hate deadwood. "hmm...how many times can we fit the word **** into a show..."
Granted that not many episodes have been showed here but I must say that I have totally missed that it suffered some kind of Tarantino-complex.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:56 PM   #16
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

One series I am really disappointed to have missed is "the 4400" which was shown on Sky UK a few months ago - I think it was about UFO abductees?
I saw some trailers for it, but by then I had moved out of my parents house and couldn't afford Sky by myself!

If anyone here has seen it then I would love to know your opinion

If its positive then I might buy it when it becomes available on DVD
Old 05-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I didn't like the 4400, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't picked up.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #18

LOST is my favorite show at the moment, but I refuse to red anything about it until we've finished season 1 here in Norway, so I guess I'll get back to this thread later.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #19
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
oangflkasnfalsk I love it I love it I LOVE IT! I just saw the finale after watching every episode. I have them all on dvd
I still have to watch the last two, the suspense is killing me

And yes, it's the best show since... The first season of 24, I guess? I also quite liked Pasadena, sans the poor final episode. Too bad it was cancelled after that (well, even before that in the States).

Btw, does anyone remember Wild Palms?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #20
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
And yes, it's the best show since... The first season of 24, I guess?
Does it (ie. 24) go downhill in later seasons? We've been only shown the first one here, and, I must say, while I absolutely loved the premise, the show became a bit disappointing halfway through, about the time when
Spoiler:
Ira and his henchmen are killed and replaced with new villains.
Granted, there had been some continuity wierdnesses (but not errors per se) even before, but from that moment on, IMO it really became too apparent that the plot is created on the spot rather than planned in advance. Not to mention
Spoiler:
introducing the amnesia, which really didn't work, considering the season is supposed to take place during one day.

Lost, on the other hand, is so far so good.