You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #81
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I loved Lucas harping on for years that Obi-Wan's reappearence in the originals was going to be dealt with in the new trilogy, only to have a "heeeeee's BACK!" line tagged on at the end of the film, riiiight at the very end, as if he'd forgotten all about it and remembered at the end of the script.
I wasn't happy with that scene, but for different reason: in the past I used to have no problem with Obi Wan becoming a ghost (if that's what you mean) - I mean, every Jedi whom we saw dying in the originals, even a fallen one, did. But after Qui-Gon's body needed to be burned in Episode I, it became clear that it's not some inherent Jedi talent. And I preferred it to be explained rather than not. May I ask though, now that we know that he had also cheated death, where the Sith he was when his trusted Chosen One were falling for the Dark Side?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #82
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I think it sucks that on the new DVDs of the old trilogy, they replaced the actor playing Darth Vader's ghost with the actor of the young Anakin.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:09 PM   #83
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I think it sucks that on the new DVDs of the old trilogy, they replaced the actor playing Darth Vader's ghost with the actor of the young Anakin.

-
I think it sucks they messed with the material on the new DVDs in any way. Period.

(Did it at least look non-artificial? I am still restraining from buying this set precisely because of Lucas' edits...)
Old 05-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I think it sucks they messed with the material on the new DVDs in any way. Period.

(Did it at least look non-artificial? I am still restraining from buying this set precisely because of Lucas' edits...)
I didn't see it yet. When I heard that they did those edits (the edit of Jabba the Hutt is alright for me - I never knew Jabba as being anything different than a huge slug with arms), I thought twice about buying it (and I wasn't sure before). I still don't know if I will buy the DVDs.

-

Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #85
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
I know the feeling, at first I couldn't believe they did that... and then I saw the movie, he looks like he is watching to the void and not to Obi-Wan (Alec Guiness) and Yoda

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

At least I still have the movies in VHS
Old 05-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #86
OB

They replaced him to make it consistent. A Jedi ghost represents the pure(i.e. good) reflection of that person. Although, Anakin redeems himself and fulfills the Prophecy, he was still a Sith; thus pre-Sith Anny gets to play Casper. Its' one of those oddball changes, but it doesn't bother me. I just hope that the unaltered versions get their day one day. It might have to wait until Lucas dies, though.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #87
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
They replaced him to make it consistent. A Jedi ghost represents the pure(i.e. good) reflection of that person. Although, Anakin redeems himself and fulfills the Prophecy, he was still a Sith; thus pre-Sith Anny gets to play Casper. Its' one of those oddball changes, but it doesn't bother me. I just hope that the unaltered versions get their day one day. It might have to wait until Lucas dies, though.
But shouldn't he just stopped being a Sith when he redeems himself? And if the Jedi ghost has to be pure, then why the ghost is him after killing all those Desert People? And why there are Sith ghosts in KotoR and the Jedi Knight games? I don't know if that's canon, I haven't read any other novel.

I don't know why, but this change bothers me a little more than the "Greedo shoots first" one
Old 05-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
No, Lucas did it because he believes in: "A true masterpiece is never finished".

So he won't even stop when movies play in Phantásien* (Fantasia, for english speaking people), and Chewbacca is a Tribble.

-

* Though I will probably have killed him before he has time to dessecrate "The Neverending Story", like this would do. I will don my Ninja clothes, and stab him through the heart with my faithful stick "Astorius".

Old 05-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #89
Dungeon Master

Even assuming that the changes were somehow essential ( ), it's DVD we're talking about - I can't fathom why haven't they left the unaltered versions, as a deleted scenes at the very least!!! I surely hope it will be fixed in the Really Mega Extended Edition of all six parts that's bound to get released some day (now that I was satisfied with Revenge of the Sith, I'd actually prefer it over the set of original movies only).

On another note, although I do remember the "Nooo" moment, I fail to see why people find it goofy and already create some kind of myth around it.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #90
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Quote:
* Though I will probably have killed him before he has time to dessecrate "The Neverending Story", like this would do. I will don my Ninja clothes, and stab him through the heart with my faithful stick "Astorius".
I think a lightsaber would be more appropriate in this particular case... a red one

And don't forget the war painting and the little horns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
On another note, although I do remember the "Nooo" moment, I fail to see why people find it goofy and already create some kind of myth around it.
It's Vader, one of the biggest baddest villains ever, screaming "NOOOOOO!!!!" like a wussy.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #91
Epinionated.

The "NOOOO!" moment is one of the most overused in film and animation history. It's a cliché and any writer guilty of using it needs their arms chopped off for the good of moviemaking.

As one of Pixar's top storyboard artists says -

Quote:
The next screen writer who has a character scream, "Noooooooooooo!" is going to get his word processor smashed over his head.
It doesn't help that it's badly framed, poorly acted and weakly voiced. Not only that, but it immediately follows a strong, almost wordless sequence which doesn't require words to indicate tragedy.

That's why it's bad.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talas
I think a lightsaber would be more appropriate in this particular case... a red one

And don't forget the war painting and the little horns.

If it has to be Lightsaber-like, then I want to have a Light-Flamethrower. In dark blue. Although Astorius (you've got to be german/speak german to get the joke. And yes, Astorius exists) would be right by my side.

-

P.S.: The war painting is no problem. But the horns are a natural trait of Darth Maul's species. He's a Zabrak.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #93
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talas
It's Vader, one of the biggest baddest villains ever, screaming "NOOOOOO!!!!" like a wussy.
Keep in mind that this isn't fully the Vader we love yet. It's still Anakin in that suit.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #94
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Keep in mind that this isn't fully the Vader we love yet. It's still Anakin in that suit.
My thoughts exactly, SamNMax.
Quote:
The "NOOOO!" moment is one of the most overused in film and animation history. It's a cliché and any writer guilty of using it needs their arms chopped off for the good of moviemaking. (...) It doesn't help that it's badly framed, poorly acted and weakly voiced. Not only that, but it immediately follows a strong, almost wordless sequence which doesn't require words to indicate tragedy.

That's why it's bad.
Okay, so you have gripes with the whole scene? That I'll more likely understand (though I can't remember witty comments on "Noooo's" eg. in other Star Wars episodes). I thought that only the way it's shouted is regarded funny.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #95
SamNMax

Quote:
No, Lucas did it because he believes in: "A true masterpiece is never finished".
No. It's actually because the actor who played Anakin's ghost doesn't look like Anakin at any stage of his life. He is never shown like that. He gets in the suit,
Spoiler:
all burned with three limbs missing
, still young, mind you, then he gets all pale and crusty.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #96
Epinionated.

Lucas is known for being a trite scriptwriter. The thing is, in the originals the delivery was well played as the actors allowed more room to improvise and act. The prequels don't allow this.

Even so, the "noo" was incredibly misplaced and badly done. That's why people hate it. I'd had rather he reacted with violent anger as an indication of his change, much as how he released himself from his bonds. As such, it was a horribly weak scene and damn straight that people hate it so much - it's awful.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #97
SamNMax

Yeah, I really wished he did something like that, too...

I think I'll play KOTOR 2.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #98
Epinionated.

Is that any good? I've been considering picking it up on the cheap.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:42 PM   #99
gin soaked boy

Quote:
The "NOOOO!" moment is one of the most overused in film and animation history. It's a cliché and any writer guilty of using it needs their arms chopped off for the good of moviemaking.
Get yourself a copy of "Even A Monkey Can Draw Manga" and then read the part about "No, BOOM", good stuff
Old 05-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #100
SamNMax

Quote:
Is that any good? I've been considering picking it up on the cheap.
Yeah. I paid full price for it. It's worth it.