You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #21
SamNMax

Larry > Michael

Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 AM   #22
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Larry > Michael
i tend to disagree...i submit for posterity--Michael > everyone
Old 05-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #23
SamNMax

Sure, Michael was more flashier, but when it comes down to it, Larry had much more understanding of the game, could shoot, and play D better.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #24
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Sure, Michael was more flashier, but when it comes down to it, Larry had much more understanding of the game, could shoot, and play D better.
Michael was top defender in the league. He would take the best player on the other team, shut him down, and then score 30 points on the other side. Michael is a good all around player, good shooter, great defender very atheletic, and most important, a winner. I'd pick MJ on Larry any day.

Firefox rules
Old 05-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #25
SamNMax

They really are both incredible players, and are just about evenly matched. It really just depends on if you're a Celtic or Bulls fan.

Last edited by SamNMax; 05-09-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #26
i'm with... <thud>

the big edge i'd give to bird over jordan was outside shooting ability...once you get inside the three line everything about jordan's game made larry look...well...white
Old 06-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #27
Homer of Kittens

*bump*

San Antonio vs Detroit, who are you routing for in the championship game.

I choose San Antonio

Firefox rules
Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #28
OUATIJ Creator

I just want a great series. Down to the wire every game, and a Game 7 overtime. LOL. But in the end, I think the Spurs will win. And honestly, I believe they'll do it in 6 games.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #29
SamNMax

None, because they're both bandwagon teams.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #30
OUATIJ Creator

Hmmm... I dunno Sam. The Spurs have never really caught on in the mainstream despite winning two chamionships in the last 5 years. Tim Duncan is probably the least popular "superstar" in the NBA. Really both of these teams are about smothering defense instead of offense, and fans like run and gun teams. So, while Detroit and San Antonio may be "bandwagon" teams in a sense, they are NOTHING like say...the L.A. Lakers or Boston Red Sox. Heh.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #31
SamNMax

I never really thought thr Red Sox a bandwagon team... God, I hate them.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:41 PM   #32
Homer of Kittens

You know I really don't like the way Dallas and Phoenix play. Yes they score 120 points, but they don't play defense, which to me is the best part in basketball. I'll take shutting down a super star or blocking shots over dunks and 3 pointers. And the Spurs has Manu Ginobli, the most fun and unpredictable guy to watch in the NBA I also choose the Spurs to win in 6.

Firefox rules
Old 06-07-2005, 09:16 PM   #33
SamNMax

Quote:
And the Spurs has Manu Ginobli, the most fun and unpredictable guy to watch in the NBA
Are we talking "of all time"? Because if so, I think a point guard by the name of Pistol Pete would beg to differ.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #34
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
You know I really don't like the way Dallas and Phoenix play. Yes they score 120 points, but they don't play defense, which to me is the best part in basketball. I'll take shutting down a super star or blocking shots over dunks and 3 pointers. And the Spurs has Manu Ginobli, the most fun and unpredictable guy to watch in the NBA I also choose the Spurs to win in 6.
Yeah, Avery Johnson is taking the Mavs in a more defensive direction though, which I'm pleased with. I have a lot of respect for dominant defensive teams like San Antonio and Detroit.

By the way SamNMax, Pistol Pete was awesome. I watched a documentary on him at the request of one of my uncle's friends. Great stuff.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #35
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Are we talking "of all time"? Because if so, I think a point guard by the name of Pistol Pete would beg to differ.
I meant for now. Oh and Pistol Pete is amazing

Firefox rules
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #36
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Yeah, Avery Johnson is taking the Mavs in a more defensive direction though, which I'm pleased with. I have a lot of respect for dominant defensive teams like San Antonio and Detroit.
Yeah but the problem with Dallas is that their players are not good defensive players. I mean you have a big defensive problem when Michael Finley is your best defender. Avery Johnson himself was a good defender, and he was trying hard to defend with the players he had. But if they want to go to the next level, they have to get some new players who can play D.

Firefox rules
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #37
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Yeah but the problem with Dallas is that their players are not good defensive players. I mean you have a big defensive problem when Michael Finley is your best defender. Avery Johnson himself was a good defender, and he was trying hard to defend with the players he had. But if they want to go to the next level, they have to get some new players who can play D.
Ummm...Josh Howard is our best defender. Then of course Finley is pretty decent. Damp is slow but occasionally gets some nice swats. And if Devin Harris matures by next year, he could be a factor. He gets steals constantly. I personally don't really want to see a lot of trades or new players, Cuban does that too much and the Mavs end up with no chemistry. I think he should see what happens with this group of guys, giving Avery a chance to coach the full year with them. What they accomplished as a team this year was rather amazing... More injury problems than any other team, a coaching change, almost an entirely new team at the start of the season...and they still went 58-24. Avery will have these guys (these same guys) defending even better next year.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #38
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Ummm...Josh Howard is our best defender. Then of course Finley is pretty decent. Damp is slow but occasionally gets some nice swats. And if Devin Harris matures by next year, he could be a factor. He gets steals constantly. I personally don't really want to see a lot of trades or new players, Cuban does that too much and the Mavs end up with no chemistry. I think he should see what happens with this group of guys, giving Avery a chance to coach the full year with them. What they accomplished as a team this year was rather amazing... More injury problems than any other team, a coaching change, almost an entirely new team at the start of the season...and they still went 58-24. Avery will have these guys (these same guys) defending even better next year.
Damp is a great player, and being a warriors fan, I got so mad when Chris Mullin traded him and kept Foyle. But he is too slow for the up and down tempo that the Mavericks play in. He seemed really lost in the playoffs. Another problem the Mavs had was Dirk Nowitsky. He is one of the top offensive players in the league, but he can't play D. Instead of taking the challenge of guarding Amare, who is a power forward just like himself, he left the honor to Damp. That was one big mismatch. So if they need to win, they need someone who can guard the excellent power forwards in the west like Tim Duncan, KG or Amare. I think the Mavs will be able to make the playoffs every year with this squad, but I really don't think they have enough to win a championship.

And speaking of Cuban, he is an idiot no offense. They had a great team with Nash and Van Exel and they traded half of the team to get 2 players who play in the same position (Walker and Jamison). Then the next year, he went and traded the best point guard in the league. Just one bad move after another.

Firefox rules
Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #39
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Damp is a great player, and being a warriors fan, I got so mad when Chris Mullin traded him and kept Foyle. But he is too slow for the up and down tempo that the Mavericks play in. He seemed really lost in the playoffs. Another problem the Mavs had was Dirk Nowitsky. He is one of the top offensive players in the league, but he can't play D. Instead of taking the challenge of guarding Amare, who is a power forward just like himself, he left the honor to Damp. That was one big mismatch. So if they need to win, they need someone who can guard the excellent power forwards in the west like Tim Duncan, KG or Amare. I think the Mavs will be able to make the playoffs every year with this squad, but I really don't think they have enough to win a championship.

And speaking of Cuban, he is an idiot no offense. They had a great team with Nash and Van Exel and they traded half of the team to get 2 players who play in the same position (Walker and Jamison). Then the next year, he went and traded the best point guard in the league. Just one bad move after another.
I can't deny that Cuban has made mistakes at times. He has also made great moves too though. The biggest dispute I have with your post is about Damp. The guy has the heart of...Shawn Bradley. There is NO urgency or emotion to his game. He drives me mad with anger. Avery needs to light a fire under his ass.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #40

Quote:
None, because they're both bandwagon teams.
Bandwagon teams?!? This statement couldn't be more wrong. If San Antonio and Detroit were truly bandwagon teams like the Lakers or Knicks, the TV ratings for the finals will be through the roof. As it is, the casual NBA fan will go "meh" and NBC or whoever is televising the series will see depressingly few viewers tune in.