You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat For people who think too much....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Epinionated.

Default For people who think too much....

Existentialism.

OK, that's a big word. But then again, it is a big universe. So much in it... yet everything is connected.

Does any of this sound familiar?

I've been watching I Heart Huckabees. Possibly the craziest film I've seen in a long time, if only because even after gaining respect for the resolution, I still really can't understand what it is I've been watching.

Personally, I love this kinda movie. Jason Schwartzman is a thankfully underused genius - if I saw more of him in variable quality films then he might end up being a Jude Law. Who's suprisingly good in this, mainly as the character is suited to him for a change - a chameleon of what he thinks is considerable charm, but thought of as an utter wanker by Schwartzmans Albert.

Walhberg would be described as a "revelation" by lesser journalists for his portrayal of a frankly nutsoid Fireman, and as for Naomi Watts, she's cute in a bonnet.

This sort of film could only be made in LA. It's very similar to something Charlie Kaufman might've made, in the same way that despite the gallavanting oddness of what's happening onscreen to the protagonists it's got some kind of message. Or at least philosophising.

If anything it's taught me that we're all one with everything, but everything doesn't matter.

Or something.

Go see!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
merely human

Quote:
Main Entry: ex·is·ten·tial·ism
Pronunciation: -'ten(t)-sh&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
: a chiefly 20th century philosophical movement embracing diverse doctrines but centering on analysis of individual existence in an unfathomable universe and the plight of the individual who must assume ultimate responsibility for his acts of free will without any certain knowledge of what is right or wrong or good or bad
definition, Merriam-Webster

That's all I can say for now. I need to make a couple phone calls, then go bikeriding for a bit with my nephew. I'll get back to this topic later.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #3

That's a cool movie.

Wait... what does that even mean???
Old 04-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Crazy movie indeed. Muddled too. I wish the story could've been more in the focus. You don't make a movie that addresses philosophical issues by focusing on philosphical issues as conversation fodder for the characters. This movie isn't so much about philosophy as it is about eccentric pseudo-intellectual individuals. If you want to do a film that covers philosophical issues, you think bigger. You make art. Not a mish-mash of witty, fast-paced scenarios that add up to zilch. I don't think that films should have a hard time contributing to a discussion on philosophy, but movies like I heart huckabees remind us that Hollywood is clearly not the place for such a discussion.

You want philosophy in your films. Go to Russia. Tarkovsky, Paradzhanov, and Sokurov.

Haha. I just read the title of this thread again and realized I'm a fool with this post. Oh well.

Last edited by Terabin; 04-22-2005 at 12:38 AM.