You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Men wearing rings...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #21
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Well, I bought BoyToy a delicate ring that has a stylized leaf as it's "stone", it's just silver all in all, a matte type of silver. It suits him well.

I've always found jewelary and make-up suit guys more than they suit girls. But maybe that's just me.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #22
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
Unfortunately, 'old money' seems to be rarer these days. It seems everyone wants those ridiculous mansions now.
If I were a millionaire the last thing I'd want to do is show off. I was never that type anyway.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #23
The Impostor

Quote:
If I were a millionaire the last thing I'd want to do is show off. I was never that type anyway
Me too. All I want is enough money to live off comfortably. I'd never buy a house with two storeys – I'd instead opt for one big enough for a family but relatively humble. I've all but lost my desire for material possessions. I'd still have a good computer, a video camera and a T.V but only to explore creative mediums. My car, up until the family comes along, would be an old, cheap Volkswagen Beatle – not the new ones! Ugh. The only things I'd be liable to buy would be books, films and music. And all the while I'd resist the temptation to buy a mobile phone.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:59 PM   #24
fire breathing

yeah can someone explain to me why Bin Laden is still romping around the middle east releasing videos of himself?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:48 AM   #25
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Me too. All I want is enough money to live off comfortably. I'd never buy a house with two storeys – I'd instead opt for one big enough for a family but relatively humble.
You must have grown up in the suburbs if a two-story house represents "showing off" to you. In lots of older neighborhoods and more urban areas, two-story houses are simply the most space-efficient way to fit a decent-sized house on a very small lot, and in those areas single-story houses are considered showy because of the double lots they require.

Quote:
My car, up until the family comes along, would be an old, cheap Volkswagen Beatle – not the new ones! Ugh.
Ahh...vintage VW Beetles: Counter-culture icon and the "Hair Shirt" of the last millinneum. "Ooh, look at me! I'm suffering!" proclaimed loudly with every putt. The problem is, they're now considered "classics" and are anything but cheap today. I do agree with you wholeheartedly about the new Beetles, though. Every time a new Beetle comes in where I work there's a fight over who has to pull it in and out of the shop because none of the guys want to be seen driving one...even for a few seconds!

Thrifty

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #26
Doctor Watson

In the counrtyside (at least in Finland) two-storey houses are the norm.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #27

id like a 2story house.. out here wher i live (middle of the friggin desert) 2story houses are a rarity... just because theres so much open ... sand ... that nobody has any need of being space-efficient... and it would take a little more of an electric bill to keep both floors the same COOL temp... specially when mos tof the summer its about 115-120 degrees outside... heh.. lil warm
Old 04-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #28
merely human

I would think that the desert would require a special kind of domestic architecture. If I lived in the desert, with 115-120 degrees outside during the day, I would want a single story house that's built partly below the surface, possibly even 2/3 below. This is because the natural insulation of the ground would keep it nice and cool indoors (saves money on a/c). The windows would be a little higher of course, but it's not about the view, it's about staying comfortable. Instead, I'd have an expansive shaded wood patio with a swimming pool if I want to look out at the vistas.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 04-17-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #29
Bad Influence

You want hot? I got your hot.
95-100 degrees with 93-98% humidity and no breeze. Plus, it only gets down to 80-85 degrees at night...still with no breeze.
That would be Birmingham in the summertime. The twelve foot ceiling heights in older Southern homes weren't put there for looks, they were put there to keep the heat off of the home's inhabitants.

Thrifty

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #30
merely human

When I my sister and I went to France years ago we visited Monet's house somewhere in Giverny. I remember how insanely hot it was (and this was still only spring) and very sunny. But when we stepped inside it was so cool as to almost require a sweater (easily a difference of about 20 degrees). This is because the house was made of stone and is easily a foot thick, insulating it from the hot French countryside sun.

In a very hot, humid climate your best bet would be, yes, very high ceilings.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #31
The Impostor

Quote:
You must have grown up in the suburbs if a two-story house represents "showing off" to you.
The thing is, we were talking about 'old money' – being rich and such, so the 'space-saving' two storey houses were irrelevent. When you're rich, a two-storey house is kind of show-offy. Though, as with everything, it depends. I was just using the two-storey house as an example for getting more then you need.

Quote:
"Ooh, look at me! I'm suffering!" proclaimed loudly with every putt.
I resent that. I only want one – providing I can find a cheap one – because they are the only car I like the design of. I can't stand 99% of car design today, and I really can't stand car-enthusiasts. I also want one because they never break down and my father had one. I'm just really fond of them. Being a Beatles fan also helps.
I don't know about now, but they were cheap when I was kid – my dad sold his for a few hundred dollars – so that's another reason. If it turns out that they are now over-priced, I'll definately forget it.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:58 PM   #32
Bad Influence

Quote:
The thing is, we were talking about 'old money' – being rich and such, so the 'space-saving' two storey houses were irrelevent. When you're rich, a two-storey house is kind of show-offy. Though, as with everything, it depends. I was just using the two-storey house as an example for getting more then you need.
"Old Money" has long since given up the showy, giant mansions for large, secure condos. The upkeep on condos is a fraction of what it is on mansions, and large grounds mean large staff to keep them looking nice. The way "Old Money" gets to be that way is by never spending principal and instead living off of interest. If they get a job and add to principal, so much the better. Why have one giant money pit of a mansion when you can have two or three condos in cool locations (one at the beach, one in the mountains, one in a major city, etc.) and still come out cheaper in the long run? Even better, build condos, save the penthouse for yourself and sell the rest...poof!-your neighbors just bought you a home and put a nice chunk of change in your pocket, too.
Only the upstart nouveau riche are buying mansions these days.

Quote:
I resent that. I only want one – providing I can find a cheap one – because they are the only car I like the design of. I can't stand 99% of car design today, and I really can't stand car-enthusiasts. I also want one because they never break down and my father had one. I'm just really fond of them. Being a Beatles fan also helps.
I don't know about now, but they were cheap when I was kid – my dad sold his for a few hundred dollars – so that's another reason. If it turns out that they are now over-priced, I'll definately forget it.
Three things:
1. Have you ever driven a vintage Beetle? I recently worked on a mechanically as-new '68 model...new brakes, new clutch, rebuilt engine and transmission, and rebuilt suspension. What a time-warp it was! My knuckles dragged on the door panel with every turn of the steering wheel (and without power steering, believe me, there were LOTS of turns to be made), the non-power brakes required an ungodly amount of travel at the pedal (as all non-power brakes do), and it was absolutely tiny inside. Not just small, as you'd expect, but truly tiny. After I had returned it to it's owner, I decided I was not going to listen to anyone make fun of how small Geo Metros are ever again. After driving a '68 Beetle, a Geo Metro seems like a Cadillac.
2. VW Beetles truly were the counter-culture icon of the sixties and seventies. While some people bought them because they were cheap and reliable (like your Dad, I assume), many others bought them to wear their free-loving, commune-living, granola-munching, tree-hugging, anti-comfort, hippie proclivities as a badge of honor. These same baby-boomers who grew up in the "age of aquarius" have become "nostalgia" car enthusiasts, and are the ones who are snapping up old Beetles for absurd prices, thereby driving the resale value of old Beetles ever upward.
For what you'd pay for a decent, restorable Beetle, you could instead snag a very nice used low-mileage Corolla...a car which is vastly superior to any classic Beetle in every tangible way.
3. The most recent vintage Beetle in the US would be a 1978 model. While your Dad's car may have been perfectly reliable when it was ten years old or so, any car over twenty-five years old is just a hole in the street that you periodically pour money into. Parts for classic Beetles are neither as readily available nor as cheap as they once were, so keep a bottle of smelling salts handy every time you need to replace something that breaks or wears out.
If after driving one you still want a classic Beetle, and can find one at a decent price, go for it. Enjoy yourself and drive it in good health. Just please don't think this will be a frugal way to go.

Thrifty

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-18-2005, 02:12 AM   #33
The Impostor

Firstly, thanks for your knowledge. Secondly, the size of the interior doesn't make a difference to me, because I'm tiny. Anyway, unless the situation here differs greatly from that in the US, I'll probably forget about it. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #34
How am I not myself?

My house is three storeys
Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 AM   #35
The Impostor

Quote:
We've been through this. Assuming you're not a vain millionare, take into account that I was refering to the rich people having extra storeys etc. Not the vile, common 'working class heros'. Otherwise known as people. Ignore the third sentence and beyond. I was merely being flippant. Sigh.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 AM   #36
The Impostor

Quote:
We've been through this. Assuming you're not a vain millionare, take into account that I was refering to the rich people having extra storeys etc. Not the vile, common 'working class heros'. Otherwise known as people. Ignore the third sentence and beyond. I was merely being flippant (if you alter the meaning a bit, that is). Sigh.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #37
Bad Influence

Quote:
Firstly, thanks for your knowledge. Secondly, the size of the interior doesn't make a difference to me, because I'm tiny. Anyway, unless the situation here differs greatly from that in the US, I'll probably forget about it. Thanks.
You're welcome, omloflump. I wasn't aware that you weren't in the US, and my comments on VW owners were about the US variety. I understand that a Beetle was more a normal choice than a social statement in other countries.

Thrifty

Share the love.

<3