You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Men wearing rings...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
pain is love

Default Men wearing rings...

What do you think of men wearing rings?

[these are my hands, in case you're wondering]

I got my first ring five years ago, and basically every year I get another one. But I've heard a lot of different remarks/opinions on this from many people (even strangers ). So basically I want to hear yours too.

Feel free to talk about any other fashion statements (strange or common) here

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 04-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I think it's sexy.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
merely human

It's awesome! I never wear jewelry myself, but I think it's sexy for a man to wear just a few pieces. I hate those annoying rap stars with their 'bling bling' shit, to me that's just showing off, sort of overcompensating with that whole black-guy-from-the ghetto-who-strikes-it-rich-crap, just another form of nouveau riche trash to me.

I love jewelry on men when it's subtle, perhaps a pierced ear with a little sterling silver ring from Tiffany's, or a brow pierced with a tiny diamond stud. Very sexy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Banned User

I think it makes a guy look a bit Tony Scarboni-ish. But hey, to each his own.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 AM   #5
merely human

Depends on the guy, though (really, the personality). I think in mitsie's case it looks awesome, he's this big hairy bear with a great sense of humour and a cute disposition and I imagine him laughing all the time. On him those rings would just a natural expression of what he is.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
pain is love

I don't really know why I wear them, I just got up one morning and decided to get a ring. And actually, I feel comfortable wearing them. I have only silver jewlery, mainly because I don't like gold (I find it tacky, and too flamboyant).

I started this thread, cause a while ago a girl told me (based on my rings and bracelet) I look gay. And I really don't see the connection...

EDIT: I'm so rude... Thanx Trep

by_100ja
Old 04-15-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
merely human

Whoever that girl was, she's totally outdated in her thinking.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Whoever that girl was, she's totally outdated in her thinking.
Like the vast majority in my country. I don't know if I should or .

by_100ja
Old 04-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Like the vast majority in my country. I don't know if I should or .

Boy your country is awesome!
Been there a few years ago and I've seen stuff I would have never seen elsewhere!
There was the carnival in a small fisher town where we were and the disguisement of the winner was Bin Laden with a genuine Bazooka
And in Split, some guy was disguised with a real Waffen SS uniform.

Pushi kuratz! (Is that it? )
(And slivovica rules)

PS : Back on topic : Does brassknuckles count as rings?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #10

theres nothing wrong with guys wearin rings... to a point. when theres one on every finger.... no. personally, i only have one.. right middle finger, was my dads wedding ring. when my ex was ... dead... before i revived her, she sez she was talkin to my dad and he sed always wear it, that it will protect me... so, ya... i wear it... first put it on bout 2 years ago, cuz i was wondering if i was allergic to yellow gold or not, cuz im allergic to nickel, and white gold has nickel in it, and id break out really bad....

but ya, tastefully done, guys can wear jewelry too, and it can look great. or it can look trashy, depending on the degree and type of jewelry worn.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I would wear a silver ring or two if I could ever find them to fit me at a decent price. The largest size most places stock (a 14, I think) just barely fits my pinky finger. I could probably order larger-sized rings online, but that usually triples the cost, and I don't want rings to wear that badly.
I have pierced ears and used to wear small silver loops with some regularity, but I've gotten out of that habit.

Mitja, whoever told you rings make you look gay is living in the past. I see far more straight guys with multiple rings than gay guys. May be she found you attractive and wanted you to prove to her how straight you are.

Thrifty

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #12
Liver of Life

I used to have an awesome ring that I would wear all the time, but now I can't find it.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #13
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I wear my college class ring from time to time. That's about it for finger jewelry for me. Most of the time, it's just too uncomfortable.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #14

i cant wear my high school class ring because its white gold, and im allergic to the nickel in it.. wearing it for a day would leave bump things that hurt .. a lot .. for bout a week
Old 04-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #15
The Impostor

Quote:
when theres one on every finger.... no
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
I hate those annoying rap stars with their 'bling bling' shit, to me that's just showing off, sort of overcompensating with that whole black-guy-from-the ghetto-who-strikes-it-rich-crap, just another form of nouveau riche trash to me.
I'm not a fan of that either, but I found an interesting theory that someone (I forget their name) put forward. Basically, with all the oppression towards blacks from the whites of America over the years, he said that the rappers' habit of aquiring ridiculous amounts of jewelery for their person is a form of the "the best revenge is living well" phrase. He said that they were showing they could "out-white the whites". I find this an interesting angle, though I wouldn't necessarily say it's true.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #16
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

you mean that stuff they wear is real? what a waste of money for something so ridiculously hideous... I thought it was all plastic-y or made of aluminum.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #17
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
I'm not a fan of that either, but I found an interesting theory that someone (I forget their name) put forward. Basically, with all the oppression towards blacks from the whites of America over the years, he said that the rappers' habit of aquiring ridiculous amounts of jewelery for their person is a form of the "the best revenge is living well" phrase. He said that they were showing they could "out-white the whites". I find this an interesting angle, though I wouldn't necessarily say it's true.
There's most likely some truth to that, I think. However, it doesn't necessarily run across the entirety of the successful and accomplished black society. As with any society, achievement of such things as wealth and status could mean any number of different things: a college education, a PhD in medicine or philosophy, a highly profitable entrepreneurship, a Nobel peace prize. IMO, that blacks who aquire ridiculous amounts of jewelery for their person as a form of the "the best revenge is living well", to show that they could "out-white the whites", is actually just playing into the white man's game, or more specifically, what those bejeweled blacks perceive as getting a reaction from white people.

That idea pales when you consider 'old money', those white people who have been the richest, most socially elite in the world for years. They have no reason to show off, because they're already there, at the very top. In fact, they have no desire for flashy jewelry, $10,000 handmade suits, and bright white $200,000 cars.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #18
The Impostor

Unfortunately, 'old money' seems to be rarer these days. It seems everyone wants those ridiculous mansions now.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:54 AM   #19
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
(And slivovica rules)
LOL! That sounds like my country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
May be she found you attractive and wanted you to prove to her how straight you are.
Well, if that was the case, then D'OH!

Anyway, I'll stop buying rings, that is until I'll have to buy a wedding one. I think I have just enough.

by_100ja
Old 04-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #20
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
Boy your country is awesome!
Been there a few years ago and I've seen stuff I would have never seen elsewhere!
There was the carnival in a small fisher town where we were and the disguisement of the winner was Bin Laden with a genuine Bazooka
And in Split, some guy was disguised with a real Waffen SS uniform.

(And slivovica rules)

PS : Back on topic : Does brassknuckles count as rings?
Damn! Bin Laden and a Nazi, you really got to see the best of Croatia, huh?

Slivovica does rule btw.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem