You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Internet advice desperately needed! o_0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
merely human

Default Internet advice desperately needed! o_0

First off, read the my initial post in the It pays to do your homework: a rant from Trep. Then read the recent post in the same thread. This'll give you a solid idea of the hilarity of this ongoing travail I'm being put through.

Here's my question: What exactly is 'T6' broadband? Out of frustration (brought unto himself, natch), my lovable moron-in-law showed me this lime green flyer (yep, like some junk mail you get) that basically reads:

Quote:
T6 Broadband (6000k)
1500kbps download, 128bps upload (same as DSL) = $42 monthly
3000kbps download, 384kbps upoad = $50 monthly

Setup and installation fee for broadband service applies. A service agreement applies to all broadband accounts (read: annual contract).... A line of sight to one of our towers is required for these speeds.
I dunno, man. He seems so disgusted now with the current shitty satellite service we got that HE had installed, and I do NOT trust him ever again, even if he's the one paying for it. It looks like this T3 thing is gonna use yet another satellite dish (cripes, we already have THREE big ass dishes on the roof of the house! ). And I just KNOW that no matter how fast this T6 connection would be, it's gonna fart out during a severe electrical storm or during high winds, simply because it's satellite.

So I ask you guys, what the hell is this T6? I'm investigating their website. I don't trust it. Thanks.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

T is the speed designation of a telecomms line. T1 was 1.544 Mbit/s, T5 is 400.352 Mbit/s [in the US, at least]. I suspect T6 is their way of saying 'OMG LOOK HOW FAST WE ARE!!!!'. Because I doubt very much they provide 400+Mbps connections, unless that's their backbone speed.

Or it might be completely unrelated to T1-5. I dunno
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Sounds to me like wireless internet - not satellite, so you won't get the huge lag you've been experiencing with that, but you'll still need an antenna. Since you need line-of-sight to their 'tower', it sounds like it's based on microwaves or something - in which case the antenna will look either like a TV aerial or a dinky miniature satellite dish. No idea how reliable this will be in poor weather, but probably more so than satellite...

I presume you're somewhat out in the sticks and unable to get DSL or cable like everyone else, then?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
merely human

Ah, thanks, Huz!

Your reply is exactly what I thought. Yes, it's similar to cellphone tech, all wireless. I don't expect the connection speed to be that much faster than typical DSL or cable, as long as it is NOT any slower. What I was worried about most was its likelihood of being interrupted during severe weather (satellite connection goes down for at least several hours), and if 2-3 computers hooked up to it slowing down the bandwidth (as satellite does). Basically I want it so that I could play a fast paced online game effortlessly, download large files, and whatever else needs a stable connection.

We are too far away from a DSL hub to get that service, and my moron-in-law fukced up relations with possibly the only cable service provider in the area (shows you how stupid he is, tho I love him anyway).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien