You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Beside which books do your Douglas Adams/PTerry Books stand in your Bookshelf?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Default Beside which books do your Douglas Adams/PTerry Books stand in your Bookshelf?

I was just cleaning up my room, and putting "The Salmon of Doubt" into the correct place (beside the other books by Douglas Adams books. I have no idea how it ended up between "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "Der Wunschpunsch") in one of my bookshelves. There I realized that it is pretty funny beside which other books I keep them.

So I wondered, beside which books other people placed the books by Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

Here is mine:

My Douglas Adams books are: -In front of my Harry Potter books.
-To the right of my book about Ammonites
and a thin book about Moses Maimonides
- To the left of a book on classic knots, my
pocket guide for Astronomy, Asimov's "How
everything began", Orwell's "1984", Dalene
Matthee's "Fiela's Child", and Deborah Elllis's
"The Breadwinner" (all in german except for
DNA's books, and "Fiela's Child")

My Terry Pratchett books (and calendars. I have few Discworld books myself. The bulk of our collection belongs to my older sister. Except for the german version of "Maskerade" and another one, which she took with her. ) are:

- on the left of "LET'S PLAY THE WEAKEST LING The Junior Quiz Book",
an old book called "Das Hexenspiel" (Containing String Figures of
varying difficulty from around the world, and also "The Cat's Cradle")
with my string wrapped around it

- on the right of "The Great Gatsby", Brecht's "Der kaukasische
Kreidekreis", two of Enid Blyton's "Five Friends" books in german, "Die
Töpfchenhexe" (A book about a witch who collects little clay pots),
"The Little Vampire", "Star Wars" and "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes
back." in german.

Now it is your turn.

You don't have to be as detailed as I was. Just write the way that you think is best.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default weird question to ask.

Next to my Douglas Adams books are a book called Fish Lips that my friend Andy put together as his senior project, and a book called Design for Community by Derek Powazek.

I only own one Terry Pratchett book, and it's only half by him (Good Omens). It's not on a shelf, it's sitting next to my bed (I just finished it last week). It's sitting on top of Post Office, by Charles Bukowski.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Doctor Watson

My books are in random piles around the room.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #4

I don't have any Adams or Pratchet books. Even if I did, I couldn't fit them on the book shelf because the Wheel of Time series is there.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I got lots of books, but none by Adams or Pratchett.

I've many times thought about buying Adams's books.
But I think reading them through is enough for now.

Pratchett doesn't interest me almost at all, but I do have Discworld 2 though.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Evil Webmaster

Many books of Camus, Nietzsche, Dostoevsky, Hesse, Palahniuk, Lovecraft, P.K. Dick, etc; and of course Bruce Campbell's autobiography and Scott Adams
So there you go
Old 02-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

My books are spread out all over the house. That way only I know where they are. I have a load of history volumes above my desk, though. And I happen to have some Pratchett and Adams on a shelf right behind me :eek:.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Chocolate addict

My largest bookcase is dedicated to history and non-fiction (all my books). The second largest is split 2 ways. Half to my spill over travel section and half for the children. I keep my entire collection of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams next to educational books for the kids on Human Body and Volcancos. They are the only paperback books on these bookcases.

The rest of the paperbacks are in the hall bookcase. Pratchett is of course superior to them.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I used to own a bookshop so I have piles of books all around my house and my parents house and my grandma's house - nearly all available shelf space is full of books.
But ....... I do not have a single Terry Pratchett book anywhere in my collection - I do not like comic fantasy.

My favourite books are all on a bookcase in my living room, and they consist of a very random collection.

Memorable ones include -

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - 100 Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera
Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist
All the Anne Rice books
The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail
Milan Kundera - The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Stel Pavlou - Decipher
Mikhail Bulgakov - The Master and the Margharita
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
Wuthering Heights
Carl Sagan - Contact
Poe, M R James, Lovecraft, Stephen King

The list goes on........
Old 02-16-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
I used to own a bookshop........
Ah, so that's how you managed to seduce your wife! Nice.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 AM   #11
comfortably numb

I have quite a limited library at home so I haven't really categorized my books. Currently, the Hitch Hiker's Guide (the collected edition with all the five books in Finnish) is sitting between the Finnish editions of Douglas Coupland's 'Microserfs' and Dante's 'La Divina Commedia' on a bedroom shelf.

Discworld novels are on a living room bookcase with the other paperbacks, currently categorized according to color. So 'The Truth' is found between Erlend Loe's 'Supernaïve' and Jane Jensen's first Gabriel Knight novel, and 'Moving Pictures' between a travel guide to Prague and Olavi Paavolainen's 'Nykyaikaa etsimässä' ('Searching for Modern Time'), a prophetical travel book from the 1920's charting the contemporary atmosphere and phenomena in Europe that eventually led to the collapse of the stock exchange in the 1929 and the rise of facism in the 1930's.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:31 AM   #12

Next to my DA books are my wonderful Ray Bradbury books. I like to organize my shelf by genre, and those are the only science fiction books that I own.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #13
Citizen of Bizarro World

Lemme see, I own the Serbian translation of the Bromeliad triology (Truckers, Diggers and Wings). I have no idea where it is. I think I lent it to my cousin, and never got it back. As far as everything else I read by the two authors, it was from the library.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 02-17-2005, 03:32 AM   #14
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I just discovered that my copy of "Pyramids" and the Bromeliad triology are not with the other books.

They are lying in the shelf where I keep my "Dragonriders of Pern" books, by Anne McCaffrey.

Okay. Behind these books there is a dragon head I made from brown soap stone (I think the stone was from India). Also behind the, slightly to the right is "Sofies World" in german.

To the right there is "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens (we had to read it over summer for school), "Two Years of Holidays" by Messieur Jules Verne, and "Red Star Rising" which is one of the "Dragonriders of Pern" books (in the US it was called "Dragonseye").

Again, behind the books, on the left, there are most of the "Dragonriders of Pern" books, most in english, but some in german.

On the direct left you will find my Talisman of the Balance, which I carved from greenish Soapstone. Take a look at it at The DIVIDE
Beside that, there is "Grimm's Fairy Tales", which is in german, of course.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:40 AM   #15
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

Well Jazz.. lemme see....

No Adams books.

So next my Pratchett I have The Mallorean (Eddings - all five)
Then I have: Touching the Void and The Beckoning Silence (Joe Simpson - Mountaineer;

then:
all five Harry Potter books
Special Edition Belgariad by Eddings
HUUUUUGE hardback, fully illustrated Lord of the Rings (cost me £50)
Paths of Darkness; Legacy of the Drow; The Dark Elf Trilogy and Icewind Dale Trilogy by R A Salvatore (highly recommended)
my other old and battered paperback LOTR

The rest of my book shelf is full of technical PC stuff, natural history, earth sciences, Greek/Egyptian history, rock climbing, and military history/non-fiction novels (being ex-Forces)

And then theres a few choice books that the other half has.

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 07:45 AM   #16
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hmm, I forgot to say what books I DO have on my shelf...
Ok then:

I have every book of Dune by Frank Herbert.
Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight books and Judgement day.
Holy Blood, Holy Grail.
The Art of War.
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence.
Some Kauko Röyhkä's books, some from George Orwell in finnish. Franz Kafka's every short story collected into one book.
A few Stephen King books and all Tolkien's LotR books.
Also I got some light science fiction from Timothy Zahn, everyone of his great 6 Star Wars books.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.