You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat REVIEW OF "DOOM 3" ON AN ADVENTURE DEDICATED WEBSITE!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 05:24 AM   #61
recovering AG addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
So whenever a site reviews "The Legend of Kyrandia" or any old adventure game, that means they're an adventure site?
I agree that reviewing "The Legend of Kyrandia" doesn't make a site an adventure site, but history tells us that this isn't the only oldie adventure review on FFC.

I've known JA+ from before they added the +, and were still JA. Therefore, I never had difficulties with the apparent contradiction of 'Just' and '+'.
Since I consider FFC to be an spin off of JA+ (unauthorized by JA+) , I placed their coverage in the same 'adventure-related' category. I can defend my point of view by looking with a historical perspective at these sites.
And of course, one should not confuse the 'adventure-related' with the 'exclusive adventure' category. And, I think, it is easily to argue that the 'random' term "adventure site" might fall into both categories.

Jaap
Old 09-14-2004, 05:44 AM   #62
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I consider JA+ one of the worst game review sites of all time. Not because of this, but because their staff is just so dumb.
Okay now, take it easy. Here, have some Jolly Ranchers.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 09-14-2004 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:39 AM   #63
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Okay now, take it easy. Here, have some Jolly Ranchers.
Mmmm! Watermelon!

(Funny, this tastes more like a URL than a Jolly Rancher...)
Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 AM   #64
Jen

One of the Four here... We are most certainly not a spin-off of JA, we are a kicked-off of JA And we're not an adventure-only site. Our focus is on story-driven games of any genre, which is our fancy way of saying we post whatever our contributors choose to contribute. FFC is heavily slanted toward adventure because we began the site with our catalog of adventure reviews ex of JA and most of our writers, including me, still play and review adventures on a regular basis.

We count on this 'ere site to keep the adventure gaming faith—y'all are the last major site to maintain that focus, and the internet would be a poorer place without you. I fervently hope to never see a Doom 3 review here!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #65
Adventure Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
One of the Four here... We are most certainly not a spin-off of JA, we are a kicked-off of JA And we're not an adventure-only site. Our focus is on story-driven games of any genre, which is our fancy way of saying we post whatever our contributors choose to contribute. FFC is heavily slanted toward adventure because we began the site with our catalog of adventure reviews ex of JA and most of our writers, including me, still play and review adventures on a regular basis.

We count on this 'ere site to keep the adventure gaming faith—y'all are the last major site to maintain that focus, and the internet would be a poorer place without you. I fervently hope to never see a Doom 3 review here!
Aha! That is exactly what I like to hear!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #66
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
One of the Four here... We are most certainly not a spin-off of JA, we are a kicked-off of JA
LOL! (((((Jen)))))

Quote:
And we're not an adventure-only site. Our focus is on story-driven games of any genre, which is our fancy way of saying we post whatever our contributors choose to contribute. FFC is heavily slanted toward adventure because we began the site with our catalog of adventure reviews ex of JA and most of our writers, including me, still play and review adventures on a regular basis.
That's what I've always thought, Jen. In that sense you guys chicks are what AG could be if it were progressive and less....'classical'.

Quote:
Well you might, but only if Evan ever gets drunk at a bar, gets picked up by a copy of Doom3, and wakes up the next morning in bed with a hangover and no recollection of the previous night. I don't see that happening any time soon.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-14-2004, 09:05 AM   #67
recovering AG addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen

Hi Jen,

that's exactly how I meant to say it, but as a non-native english speaking person, I usually have trouble explaining myself

Jaap
Old 09-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #68
Jen

Thanks, Trep. ((((right back atcha))))

Totally understandable, Jaap. Hey, where have you been? I haven't seen you around in a while.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:35 PM   #69
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen

It means a lot to hear you say that, Jen. I think I can safely say we won't be covering Doom 3 any time soon.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 09-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #70
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
It means a lot to hear you say that, Jen. I think I can safely say we won't be covering Doom 3 any time soon.
Damn it! I was going to ask if I could do a Doom 3 review as my next project.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:02 AM   #71
recovering AG addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
Totally understandable, Jaap. Hey, where have you been? I haven't seen you around in a while.
Since my employer installed Websense, I'm using a cgi proxy server to browse game-related pages. However, my proxyserver doesn't let me visit FFC forums, but always directs me to a page that says: 'You're the weakest link!'.
That's why it has been ages since I joined the trivia games.

Jaap
Old 09-15-2004, 01:09 AM   #72

In regards to Doom3, I couldnt play it. I wanted to buy it but I downloaded the preview movie and it looked beyond bad. As in demons, gore etc. I loved the first 2 but this one just looks far too evil for me. Is this the case? If it actually isnt as bad as the movie preview showed I'll play it. Let me know.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #73
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
In regards to Doom3, I couldnt play it. I wanted to buy it but I downloaded the preview movie and it looked beyond bad. As in demons, gore etc. I loved the first 2 but this one just looks far too evil for me. Is this the case? If it actually isnt as bad as the movie preview showed I'll play it. Let me know.
I don't think so, I played games that are much worse when it comes to gore and violence (as far as I've seen, the demons don't even have blood, they dissapear in some sort of "particle fumes"). I've played scarier, and gorier. And it has that no-brainer feel like the first two!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 10-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #74
Epinionated.

LOL. Bumpz.

I'm a naughty git.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #75
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Mmmm! Watermelon!

(Funny, this tastes more like a URL than a Jolly Rancher...)

dang! I was hoping to get a plate of URLy Fries, or maybe a bag o' Cheese URLS....

And, yeah, I barely visit JA+ anymore, they don't seem as "up" on current adventure games as you folks...
Old 10-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #76
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney
dang! I was hoping to get a plate of URLy Fries, or maybe a bag o' Cheese URLS....

Cheese c URLs?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #77
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Cheese c URLs?

Boy, that was FAST!!! I guess the URLy bird really DOES catch.....

ugh, never mind. Even I can't make THAT one seem funny...
Old 10-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #78
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
LOL. Bumpz.
That was so unnecessary.

Unless anyone actually has something to say about the year old Doom 3 review, I'm moving this thread into Chit Chat...

Last edited by fov; 10-15-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #79
Citizen of Bizarro World

I think locking it might've been better. This way, whoever wrote in this thread looses their hard earned posts!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #80
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I think locking it might've been better. This way, whoever wrote in this thread looses their hard earned posts!
Don't blame me. Blame SJH for bumping it.