You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat REVIEW OF "DOOM 3" ON AN ADVENTURE DEDICATED WEBSITE!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #21
merely human

Jeezus Cripeys, BJ, am I the only who got you?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-10-2004, 10:02 AM   #22
Banned User

I guess so, bro. Scary, ain't it? :eek:
Old 09-10-2004, 10:06 AM   #23
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222

EDIT: This is interesting. The correct sign for a zzz emoticon would be a : + a capital Z, but because the forum doesn't allow all caps, it changed them to a small z.

EDIT2: But now that I added this text, it works.
THE FORUM DOESN'T ALLOW ALL CAPS? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

Ugh, I think I need an aspirin now.

-emily
Old 09-10-2004, 10:18 AM   #24
Hopeful skeptic

I'm sure all remixor meant was that it doesn't even support your own point. The content of anyone's personal favourites has nothing to do with "site support" of action-adventures.

This is why I like to ask adventure developers what they like to play. Sergei from Frogwares recently told us he enjoyed NFS: Underground, Call of Duty, and Far Cry. Hardly makes Frogwares less devoted to adventures.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #25
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
This is exactly what I was trying to avoid when I posted my later comment:
Perhaps you missed it?
Ah ok. I understand no offense was intended (or caused for that matter), it's just that it didn't seem directly relevant to your point about coverage.

EDIT: Like Jackal said

ALSO EDIT: I am only making casual discussion, no argument implied

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-10-2004, 10:32 AM   #26
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm sure all remixor meant was that it doesn't even support your own point. The content of anyone's personal favourites has nothing to do with "site support" of action-adventures.

This is why I like to ask adventure developers what they like to play. Sergei from Frogwares recently told us he enjoyed NFS: Underground, Call of Duty, and Far Cry. Hardly makes Frogwares less devoted to adventures.
No, an individual staffer's tastes have no relevance to the site's stance, leanings or biases. However, if every (or even a majority) staffer shares a certain like or leaning, then it does impact on the entire site de facto even if such a slant doesn't exist de jure. It impacts (sometimes subtly, sometimes less so) on everything from the topics and contents of threads to how those with differing viewpoints are treated to what news or reviews are included to what games are even selected for the Hype-O-Meter.

In the case of AdventureGamers, I believe that the cumulative individual preferences among the staff for action and hybrid games has resulted in a tacit support for elements from those games throughout the site beyond that of the other major AG sites. Thus the relevance. I suspect that even some of the staffers likely would agree with this observation.

[EDIT: Note that I am not saying there is anything wrong with this. It is, in fact, a good thing to offer the AG public various different views and leanings. Who wants all adventure games to be exactly the same?]

Last edited by BacardiJim; 09-10-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal

Right, so that means that those have kicked my ass in the past because I love Beyond Good & Evil and Silent Hill 2 alongside Gabriel Knight 3 and The Longest Journey owe me an apology?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #28
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Ah ok. I understand no offense was intended (or caused for that matter), it's just that it didn't seem directly relevant to your point about coverage.

EDIT: Like Jackal said

ALSO EDIT: I am only making casual discussion, no argument implied
Chris, it's your birthday. You can be a total b!tch today if you want.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #29
Hopeful skeptic

Well, if AG staffers collectively decided more issues for the site, I'd agree with you. But we don't. So our collective taste never really impacts site direction or content.

It's true that those individual preferences might make themselves more readily apparent in the forum, but the forum is quite distinct from the main site.

As a matter of interest, though, I'm curious why on earth you deem AG to be so active in promoting action as a site. JA+, FFC, and GB all routinely post reviews on completely non-adventure games, where AG doesn't. Of course we previewed Dreamfall and Fahrenheit (as did JA+), but not excessively so. We have H-o-M votes with Dreamfall beside Dark Fall, Westerner beside Myst 4. If there's an oversight occasionally, it's certainly not an indication of bias.

So no offense taken at all. I just don't follow your reasoning at all.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #30

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

BJ: Ok, in that context, I understand where you're coming from. While I don't think AG makes much of a substantial practice of covering hybrid games, there are certainly a few cases. However, compared to many other sites which ostensibly feature adventures, AG is pretty conservative. And like you say, it's all in the interest of representing adventures across the spectrum. Different strokes for different folks.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Chris, it's your birthday. You can be a total b!tch today if you want.
Screw you all! I hate everyone! Adventures suck! I'm off to play Killmania 17!

Old 09-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #32
merely human

There ya go! Your thematic cake is waiting for you in Chit Chat.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #33
Banned User

Quote:
BJ: Ok, in that context, I understand where you're coming from. While I don't think AG makes much of a substantial practice of covering hybrid games, there are certainly a few cases. However, compared to many other sites which ostensibly feature adventures, AG is pretty conservative. And like you say, it's all in the interest of representing adventures across the spectrum. Different strokes for different folks.
In that vein (of celebrating AG diversity):

http://www.justadventure.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=HotSpot;action=display;num=10946963 46
Old 09-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #34

Well said.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #35
Doctor Watson

All Caps, Here They Come!! Except... No!!
Old 09-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #36
Doctor Watson

See now, Emily? See?! Post a message with NOTHING but all caps, and it will be edited to lower caps.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #37

You know I used to think that the plus thing at JA is not only a cool but very useful thing. Now I think that it can also be a very dangerous thing for a lover of the traditional adventure games.

I love the traditional point and click adventure games and I do not like it when people try to expand the definition of adventure games. That is why at this point, Adventure Gamers is the only site that I rely on to get news on adventure gaming. So please make an old adventure gamer happy and tell me that nothing even remotely close to that plus thing will happen to our beloved site.

PS I don't care what other people think but the day that games like Silent Hill and Beyond Good and Evil are considered adventure games is the day that I stop playing games. They are great games on their own right but they be no adventure games in my book.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #38
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Well said.
I agree! Its good to see everyone standing solid behind puzzles and story, and collectively hating on any semblance of action in a game

No but seriously Jim that post was really excellent.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-10-2004, 11:41 AM   #39
fov
Rattenmonster

Gotcha

EDIT: Hey, you're right! This forum's smart!

Okay, sorry, I'll shut up now.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #40
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I agree! Its good to see everyone standing solid behind puzzles and story, and collectively hating on any semblance of action in a game

No but seriously Jim that post was really excellent.
To be fair, the posts and situation that inspired my comments at JA+ had nothing to do with action in adventure games, but rather two people who were insisting on telling everyone that it was the storytelling that defined the genre and that games with insufficient (or even uninvolving) narrative (by their standards) couldn't even be CALLED "adventure games." (eg. Myst)

Action-adventures weren't even in my head when I wrote that. But your sarcasm is certainly appropriate. However, if you read the whole thread, you'll see that I even budged about those games.