You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat REVIEW OF "DOOM 3" ON AN ADVENTURE DEDICATED WEBSITE!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #1
Adventure Collector

Default REVIEW OF "DOOM 3" ON AN ADVENTURE DEDICATED WEBSITE!!!!

Yesterday "Just Adventure" posted a review of "DOOM 3". The title: "DOOM 3 - That's right we're reviewing DOOM 3! Get over it!"
Even worst a line from the review: "Yes - the game that started it all, or at least made teenagers lose interest in our beloved adventure genre in favor of straight-forward gunplay and all manner of advanced weaponry." How do you feel about that now?
Yes, I red the review and they are trying to avoid saying good things for the game and they also state that they are gonna try to do an "ADVENTURE-CENTRIC" review.
And ofcourse THE SUGGESTION: "Yet despite my problems with its repetitive nature and basic gunplay, I found Doom 3 had a lot to offer for an adventure player willing to dip their toes into an FPS"
Well let me put it this way: "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO I am not willing to dip my toes into an FPS, especially one that is reviewed by an Adventure-dedicated(see name) website!
That's my opinion, but then again maybe not only mine....
Old 09-10-2004, 06:47 AM   #2

As someone said in another thread: I hear thunder approaching in the distance....
Old 09-10-2004, 06:53 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

Omg Omg Omg!!! Liek How Culd Dhey!111
Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
Banned User

The irony here being that you do choose to associate with a website where:

A game that has been described as an "action-adventure" in every single bit of press released from its creator and is described repeatedly as an "action-adventure" on its official website is the most hyped and anticipated "adventure game" of the decade. Closely followed by another action-adventure whose action elements are strong enough that Gamespot lists it as an "action" game.

Survival-horror and action-adventure games like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame are commonly discussed and refered to as "adventure games."

Virtually every member of the staff lists some action or hybrid game amongst their very favorites.

Discussions about the future of the genre invariably result in suggestions that adventure games should utilize the engine of this or that action game. (Which, by the way, was one of the primary points of the JA+ piece.)

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

See the irony? I don't know if anyone here is in a situation to be throwing any stones... no matter how tempting the target.

Last edited by BacardiJim; 09-10-2004 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Jut for the record, it's not "Just Adventure", it's Just Adventure + (PLUS). They've been reviewing non-adventure games for a long time, so this is just another addition to their plus.

The more unusual thing is that they chose Doom, rather than other far more story-centric shooters. Doom would be near the bottom of any list of shooters I'd suggest for adventurers looking to test the action waters.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #6
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
The more unusual thing is that they chose Doom, rather than other far more story-centric shooters. Doom would be near the bottom of any list of shooters I'd suggest for adventurers looking to test the action waters.
About THIS, I couldn't agree more with Jack. (Stranger things have happened. ) I, too, am puzzled by their choice of D3 for a "breakout" review.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Adventure Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Jut for the record, it's not "Just Adventure", it's Just Adventure + (PLUS). They've been reviewing non-adventure games for a long time, so this is just another addition to their plus.

So that the little cross-like symbol they have next to their title in their homepage is a "PLUS"?!?! I never until now noticed that to tell you the truth. I don't know, but still, I don't like that.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:14 AM   #8
merely human

As I understand it, the '+' in Just Adventure + simply means that you can find adventure elements in other categorically non-adventure games. That is, things like exploration and story, or that the story is the driving force or motivation for the player to move through the game.

However, in the case of Doom 3, that's really quite a stretch, IMO. Granted, the game does have a story, but ask anyone who's played it if that's what really drove them forward in their experience, and they'll most likely say, "Story? WTF, are you on crack or something?"
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-10-2004, 07:18 AM   #9
Banned User

LOL Right said, Trep!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #10
Doctor Watson

I love these discussions.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:54 AM   #11
merely human

LOL! I'm just about howling now.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-10-2004, 08:17 AM   #12
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Old 09-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #13
Banned User

Errrr... before my earlier post gets misinterpreted and I get jumped on for it, let me explain that I was not criticizing the policies or opinions or practices or tastes of Adventure Gamers or its staff.

Rather, I was merely pointing out the irony of a member of the adventure game site which offers the most active support of action-adventures and action elements in adventure games (at least among the major AG sites) using this forum to castigate another AG site for choosing to publish a review of an action (actually FPS) game.

I meant no insult to anyone involved.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Rather, I was merely pointing out the irony of a member of the adventure game site which offers the most active support of action-adventures and action elements in adventure games (at least among the major AG sites) using this forum to castigate another AG site for choosing to publish a review of an action (actually FPS) game.
Yes, but you'd never see a review of Doom 3 on AG.

Really, I'd be surprised to find a FPS review on ANY adventure gaming site. But of all the ag sites that I know of, JA is the one that surprises me least, because of that + in their name.

-emily

ps It should also be remembered that individual posts on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of AG.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #15
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Scandalous!!!

In other news, have you guys played Beyond Good and Evil? A classic.

Actually, did JA+ ever review BG&E? Seems more up their alley than Doom.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-10-2004, 09:17 AM   #16
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Yes, but you'd never see a review of Doom 3 on AG.

Really, I'd be surprised to find a FPS review on ANY adventure gaming site. But of all the ag sites that I know of, JA is the one that surprises me least, because of that + in their name.
All true. Frankly, I'm a bit stunned by the whole thing too. But if you think it caused a bit of heat here, you should see the brouhaha that broke out over there about it.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #17
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Virtually every member of the staff lists some action or hybrid game amongst their very favorites.
I know you like to bring this up a lot, and I don't want to start an argument, nor am I trying to be critical or incendiary, but I really don't think it's relevant. Listing a game as one of one's personal favorites has nothing to do with the site itself. Could you honestly imagine (for example) someone who writes for a mystery novel review magazine not actually appreciating a fine work of another genre? There is of course no reason they'd have to like anything other than mysteries, but appreciation of other genres does not diminish their love of one.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-10-2004, 09:47 AM   #18
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
....appreciation of other genres does not diminish their love of one.
Tell me about it! I've gotten pelted with proverbial stones for it!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:57 AM   #19
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I know you like to bring this up a lot, and I don't want to start an argument, nor am I trying to be critical or incendiary, but I really don't think it's relevant. Listing a game as one of one's personal favorites has nothing to do with the site itself. Could you honestly imagine (for example) someone who writes for a mystery novel review magazine not actually appreciating a fine work of another genre? There is of course no reason they'd have to like anything other than mysteries, but appreciation of other genres does not diminish their love of one.
This is exactly what I was trying to avoid when I posted my later comment:
Quote:
Errrr... before my earlier post gets misinterpreted and I get jumped on for it, let me explain that I was not criticizing the policies or opinions or practices or tastes of Adventure Gamers or its staff.

I meant no insult to anyone involved.
Perhaps you missed it?

Last edited by Marek; 09-10-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:00 AM   #20
Doctor Watson

EDIT: This is interesting. The correct sign for a zzz emoticon would be a : + a capital Z, but because the forum doesn't allow all caps, it changed them to a small z.

EDIT2: But now that I added this text, it works.