You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #1

Default Buy a calendar

Yesterday driving home from work I passed a house which already has Christmas lights up. :eek:
Old 10-10-2003, 07:29 PM   #2
Doctor Watson

Our neighbor has had christmas light in their window for two years now. Since the mother left the house I don't think they have cleaned up in there a lot. Poor kids.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Absurd!

!!!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-11-2003, 05:32 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

A few weeks ago I heard that they were already selling christmas stuff here at some sort of garden mall... It was still september by then... 3 months before christmas...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 10-11-2003, 07:28 AM   #5
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Here in St Andrews there is Christmas shop - open all year round. Bear in mind I'm talking about a town with a population of 16,000 here... 6000 of which bugger off during the holidays
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:30 PM   #6
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
Here in St Andrews
This wouldn't happen to be the Scotland St. Andrews, would it? The Mecka of Golf! If that's the case, I'm one very jealous man.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
The Mecka of Golf!
Do you play golf yourself? If so, an AdventureGamers Golf meeting will be a possibility!

[edit] Seen the Dutch Open this weekend? Finally a Dutch guy wins the tournament for the first time since 56 years! :eek:

Old 10-12-2003, 05:07 AM   #8
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Do you play golf yourself? If so, an AdventureGamers Golf meeting will be a possibility!
Right on!!! 8-)

--Erwin
Old 10-12-2003, 05:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Right on!!! 8-)
I'll start to practise even more right away!

Old 10-12-2003, 05:46 AM   #10
Liver of Life

Maybe the lights were up for Halloween or something?

Or maybe it's too cold for that family to put up Christmas lights when most people do it...
Old 10-12-2003, 06:20 AM   #11

Maybe. I've seen Halloween lights (what's next, Groundhog Day lights?) but these look definitely Christmasy to me.

I've seen houses where the lights are kept up all the time (usually 'icicles' which are probably a serious pain to string up) but never lit until the holidays come around.

I once saw a house with a pretty elaborate display. They had put a fake chimney on the roof with Santa's legs sticking out of it (very macabre, I thought). The poor sod was stuck there through Easter.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:31 AM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via AIM to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via MSN to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via Yahoo to The Poisoned Pawn

I've seen Christmas lights up in my area on many houses. There are lot's of people who don't take them down, but they don't turn them on until November or so. I did see someone who was seemingly putting up Christmas lights just last weekend. It's possible they were taking them down (I was just driving past), but it seems odd to take them down when they're just going to need to go back up in a month.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:08 AM   #13
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Do you play golf yourself?
Actually yes I do, although I'm pretty much a newbie cus I got my Green Card last fall, but it's great fun playing anyway.
How about you Firefoot, playing golf?
Quote:
If so, an AdventureGamers Golf meeting will be a possibility!
That would be great!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 03:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk

I once saw a house with a pretty elaborate display. They had put a fake chimney on the roof with Santa's legs sticking out of it (very macabre, I thought). The poor sod was stuck there through Easter.
LMAO!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:34 AM   #15
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk
Are you *really* sure it was a decoration? :eek:

--Erwin
Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 AM   #16
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Are you *really* sure it was a decoration? :eek:
LOL!

Where I used to live, there was one neighborhood that was insanely decorated. (A couple actually -- the famous one is Juniper St, but this was another.. I forget the name..) One house was "Santa's Workshop," and every xmas, the couple that lived there would completely overhaul the house -- trains running throughout, robotic displays everywhere, a huge line to meet Santa and get a free slapstick bracelet, and music all night courtesy of one-man-band Bob Devlin, all for free. In addition, the inside of the house was decorated more serenly, and fitted with hors d'oeuvres for the adults. They kept adding stuff each year, and it got to be so much work that they left the decorations in the back up all year round. (They weren't so much decorations as they were extensions to the house. These people were nuts.)

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-13-2003, 02:03 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I've never really lived in a neighborhood that went overboard with Christmas decorations.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #18
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I've never really lived in a neighborhood that went overboard with Christmas decorations.
I think a lot of California is like that.

Christmas decorations only go overboard where there's snow, or maybe I'm just stereotyping from movies

Come to think of it, I've never watched a movie in which Christmas was not depicted in a snowy area!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:35 PM   #19

KR: Then you need to watch Almost Famous, written and directed by Cameron Crowe. The very opening scene is Christmas in my home town of San Diego, with the Alvin and the Chipmunks' Christmas song playing the background. It's a great scene.

That being said, see the film anyway, regardless of that scene! (I will take any opportunity to plug Almost Famous.) I can't claim it's the best movie ever made, but it makes a REALLY strong case for being my favorite movie. I've watched it dozens and dozens of times. It's gorgeous. The performances of Kate Hudson, Billy Crudup, and Frances McDormand are unbelievable (in fact, Hudson and McDormand BOTH got best supporting actress Oscar nominations for that film), and Patrick Fugit, who plays the lead role, had never been in a movie before, yet delivers an amazingly authentic performance. The writing is excellent (the screenplay won for the Best Original Screenplay Oscar), and the characters are wonderful. I cannot stress how much this movie rules. To anybody who hasn't seen it: GO SEE IT NOW.

Oh, and for any fans of classic rock, there is even more incentive to see it. The movie is set in 1974 and the soundtrack is terrific. One of Cameron Crowe's best strengths is picking the PERFECT song for a given scene (for further proof of this, see Vanilla Sky; the usage of Radiohead's "Everything in its Right Place" at the beginning is inspired). Such is his skill at setting soundtracks that all of the songs in that movie conjure images of their respective scenes, and thinking about scenes from that movie immediately remind me of their respective songs. The soundtrack includes Led Zeppelin (they were so impressed by the film that this was the first time they ever licensed a song for usage in a film, and they let Crowe use four), The Who, Simon and Garfunkel (the usage of "America" kills me), Elton John, and practically every other cool classic rock band.

Anyone else like this film?

Old 10-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #20
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Were you the one that didn't like Donnie Darko?

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"