You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 04:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Are you *really* sure it was a decoration? :eek:
Well, I think those legs would have gotten a little less, shall we say, meaty as time went by if they hadn't been fake.

The most elaborate display I've ever seen was at a farm in Iowa. I won't try to describe it except to say it covered more ground that two city blocks.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #22
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Anyone else like this film?
YES! (Can we stop talking about christmas now?)

It's one of my favourite movies. You forgot to mention Phillip Seymour Hoffman, btw, who's at his usual best.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #23
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Ah, damnit! Yes, that's even my favorite Philip Seymore Hoffman role! Thanks for the reminder I can't believe I neglected to mention the excellent job he did as San Diego rock critic Lester Bangs. By the way, for those who own or have access to the Almost Famous Bootleg Cut, check out the special feature interview thing with the real Lester Bangs (yes, he was a real 70's rock critic)--it's amazing how well Hoffman managed to capture all of his little tendencies, mannerisms, and quirks.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-14-2003, 01:32 AM   #24
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Hoffman is the king! He gets incredibly different and versatile roles for someone who basically looks like a fat nerd.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:25 AM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
How about you Firefoot, playing golf?
Yep, but I'm an even more newbie I think... am allowed to play during the weeks, but working on the right to play in the weekends too! (I have played during the weekends however )
A few weeks I rounded off a few lessons I had with a few collegues... so very n00b...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 10-15-2003, 08:44 AM   #26
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Yep, but I'm an even more newbie I think... am allowed to play during the weeks, but working on the right to play in the weekends too!
I'm pretty lucky because I can play as much as I want at my home golfclub for 170 € this year , but sadly it's a bit too cold to play golf here in Finland at this time of year , so I think that I will be forced to put my golfclubs in storage over the winter soon and start dreaming about next golf season .
Old 10-15-2003, 08:49 AM   #27
Umbilicus Mundi

I think I'll put up Thursday lights... and keep them on forever.

Thursday is not celebrated nearly enough.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:38 AM   #28
Under pressure.

Quote:
Yep, but I'm an even more newbie I think... am allowed to play during the weeks, but working on the right to play in the weekends too! (I have played during the weekends however
A few weeks I rounded off a few lessons I had with a few collegues... so very n00b...
I only played once (with collegues too, as you know) and basically the only think I know is how to hold the club and how to swing. Hitting the balls is a whole other story

--Erwin
Old 10-16-2003, 02:18 AM   #29
Doctor Watson

I once hit my friend on the head with his golf club.

He's a terrible snob.

I hate snobs.

Last edited by deadworm222; 10-16-2003 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm pretty lucky because I can play as much as I want at my home golfclub for 170 € this year , but sadly it's a bit too cold to play golf here in Finland at this time of year , so I think that I will be forced to put my golfclubs in storage over the winter soon and start dreaming about next golf season .
The fee here is €400 a year and you can play as much as you want, you only need to play 2 entrance rounds to be able to play in the weekends, but still have to do those. But the weather here is too nice now... It's too busy and I play too slow, so I get a queue behind me... and that makes me an even worse player...

Old 10-21-2003, 01:08 AM   #31
Mostly absent

Quote:
The fee here is €400 a year and you can play as much as you want
The reason why I only had to pay 170 € for this year was because I'm just 18 years old. Next year I'll have to pay 550 €, which is way to much for me, so I'll just have to buy one of those 10-round tickets next year.
Quote:
But the weather here is too nice now... It's too busy and I play too slow, so I get a queue behind me... and that makes me an even worse player
I also become a much worse player when I have an audience.
A good thing for me though is that the club I'm a member at is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, which means that except for June, July and August, it's pretty empty.
One time I went out on a golf round sometime around 7 AM and when I was finished with my round I had only seen one or two other people on the course. That round was really nice! I could completely take it at my own pace and take my time while preparing to hit the boll. I actually made a new personal record that time, which wasn't so surprising considering that the round took me about 4 ½ hour!
Old 10-21-2003, 01:29 AM   #32
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default Eep! Xmas is here!

OMG! When I went to the market to buy some stuff they had "turron".... its a tradiotional X-MAS treat, its complicated to explain go to this link to find out what it is...
I think I saw other X-mas stuff too....
Old 10-21-2003, 04:54 AM   #33

that's Italian torrone .. it isn't exclusively a Christmas thing here, tho
Old 10-22-2003, 06:40 AM   #34

Quote:
I also become a much worse player when I have an audience.
A good thing for me though is that the club I'm a member at is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, which means that except for June, July and August, it's pretty empty.
One time I went out on a golf round sometime around 7 AM and when I was finished with my round I had only seen one or two other people on the course. That round was really nice! I could completely take it at my own pace and take my time while preparing to hit the boll. I actually made a new personal record that time, which wasn't so surprising considering that the round took me about 4 ½ hour!
The first time I played there was almost nobody on the course and I played rather well (far from good) and played 18 holes in around 2 ½ hour.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #35
Mostly absent

Quote:
The first time I played there was almost nobody on the course and I played rather well (far from good) and played 18 holes in around 2 ½ hour.
Pretty good speed you had on that time then. I would say that it, in average, takes me about 3½-4 hours to play 18 holes (and we're three people in my group). That could be considered slow by some people, but I like to enjoy the game and take it fairly easy when I'm playing. And another thing that effects the time is that the course I play on is rather long, one of the longest in Finland actually, I think.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Pretty good speed you had on that time then. I would say that it, in average, takes me about 3½-4 hours to play 18 holes (and we're three people in my group). That could be considered slow by some people, but I like to enjoy the game and take it fairly easy when I'm playing. And another thing that effects the time is that the course I play on is rather long, one of the longest in Finland actually, I think.
They plan on you playing a hole in 6 mins, making it 108 mins for 18 holes... but bear in mind that it is Free Golf, meaning that the balls are lighter and the holes shorter than normal golf courses... all the other is the same however... So if the courses are double the length, I guess I would use double the time too...

Old 10-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #37
Mostly absent

Quote:
if the courses are double the length, I guess I would use double the time too...
Well, I don't know how long the course you play on is, but the one I play on is 5212 meters long, if you count the space between the teeing ground and the hole on all 18 holes (hope you understood that).
Old 10-25-2003, 05:24 PM   #38
Bearly Here

I like my Halloween stuff more than my Christmas stuff. Dead guys crawling out of graves - death standing guard over it all - the gravekeeper with shovel sitting in the graveyard. All life sized. I figured if anyone left their Christmas stuff out way too long - the next year I would leave my gouls out all year.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Well, I don't know how long the course you play on is, but the one I play on is 5212 meters long, if you count the space between the teeing ground and the hole on all 18 holes (hope you understood that).
Well... there are 3 series of 9 holes and to get 18 you play 2... doh!
The Westland series is 1077m, the Waterland series is 1062m and teh Delfland sereis is 1019... and that is holes only! So 2.1+ km holes only... from tee to cup...

Old 10-27-2003, 06:01 AM   #40
Mostly absent

Quote:
Well... there are 3 series of 9 holes and to get 18 you play 2... doh!
Are you by any chance good at math?
Quote:
The Westland series is 1077m, the Waterland series is 1062m and teh Delfland sereis is 1019... and that is holes only! So 2.1+ km holes only... from tee to cup...
So it's under half the length of the course I play on. Well, that explains one or two things then.

P.S. Do you think that it would be time to start a golf thread instead of posting in this one? Or should we continue to bug the guys posting about Christmas stuff a bit more?